The Corroboree
Alice

NSW Police raid 'medicinal marijuana crop'

Police have raided the property of a man who openly distributes marijuana as a medical aid.

More than 200 plants and a quantity of cannabis were seized last Thursday from the home of Mullaways Medical Cannabis, at Crescent Head on the NSW north coast, a police spokeswoman said.

The company, run by 56-year-old Tony Bower, breeds a specific strain of the plant which Mr Bower makes into an extract and gives for free to more than 300 patients.

Mr Bower was issued a court attendance notice for the cultivating an indictable quantity of a prohibited plant and supplying a prohibited drug.

But Mr Bower said he has always been transparent with police and government authorities are aware of his operation and what he does.

"I have worked tirelessly to try to please people in government but continue to be treated with disrespect," Mr Bower said in a statement sent to ninemsn.

"I know that I can help and even heal people with my medicine, a medicine that doesn't get people stoned."

Mr Bower dubbed last week's raid "a new low" for NSW police.

"Through the confiscation of this medical cannabis crop, the NSW police have deprived many Australians their medicine," the statement read.

"It is a form of discrimination against sufferers of chronic illness and pain who need this medicine."

<="" p="">

Each plant is labelled for specific patients, who are required to provide letters of support from their doctors in order to receive the drug.

Mr Bower is due to appear in court on April 16.

He can apply for an exemption from the charges if he can prove in court he grows cannabis for medical use, a police spokeswoman said.

However, there is no law specifically allowing the use of medicinal marijuana in Australia.

Medicinal marijuana is sometimes used to relieve pain and nausea in patients with cancer, HIV, migraines or spinal cord injuries.

h ttp://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8437668/nsw-police-raid-medicinal-marijuana-crop

• Like 3

Poor guy :( good on him for doing it though, hopefully he pulls through alright and continues helping people in need.

Legalise, ffs :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 1

He can apply for an exemption from the charges if he can prove in court he grows cannabis for medical use, a police spokeswoman said.

However, there is no law specifically allowing the use of medicinal marijuana in Australia.

Ok, I'm confused. Either this pig-mouth doesn't know what she's talking about, or we don't know of something that's changed regarding weed legality in NSW !

This may be the dawning of a new frontier, and all of a sudden I'm feeling nauseus. Where's my medication ?

• Like 4

"I know that I can help and even heal people with my medicine, a medicine that doesn't get people stoned."

Is the strain he used mainly consisting of cbd or something?

Fuck, if he gets off by proving its for medicinal use then GAME ON!!

Edited by Jonstn

Here's something interesting in the Drug Misuse & Trafficking Act:

Page 13/14: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforcepdf/1985-226.pdf?id=420aafa5-6ea4-6c0a-c3bb-cb73853e48f6

Nothing in this section renders unlawful any act relating to the

cultivation, supply or possession of a prohibited plant by:

a person acting in accordance with an authority granted by the

Secretary of the Department of Health where the Secretary is

satisfied that the cultivation, supply or possession of the

prohibited plant is for the purpose of scientific research,

instruction, analysis or study, or

Ok, I'm confused. Either this pig-mouth doesn't know what she's talking about, or we don't know of something that's changed regarding weed legality in NSW !

This may be the dawning of a new frontier, and all of a sudden I'm feeling nauseus. Where's my medication ?

I'm sure you can apply for whatever the fuck you want. He could probably also apply for a permit to shit in the magistrate's mouth, but I doubt he'd get one.

Is the strain he used mainly consisting of cbd or something?

My guess is it's a bit of rhetoric and he basically means that people are using it at a low enough dosage not to get stoned. It does sound like he's using a specially selected strain, but I'm sure you could still get stoned on it.

• Like 1

It was only a matter of time.

Yeah there is no official exemption but a judge is not going to want to lock you up for simple possession/cultivation if your dying of cancer.

Because he is supplying & the large number & prior for the same thing I doubt he would avoid a conviction. On the other hand in a northern NSW court with the community behind him & a damn good lawyer who knows...

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23671&hl=mullaway&fromsearch=1

• Like 3

Cleverman

containing 9% Resin

composed of 91% Cannabinoids

& 9% Total THC (95% THCA & 5% THC)

The Resin recovered from the CLEVERMAN variety is recovered as THCA, Non-Psychotropic. This can then be used to produce a Tincture with the required properties to restore health and enough Psychotropic Response to assist with the relief of chronic pain.

http://www.mullawaysmedicalcannabis.com.au/

• Like 3

Note that the "spokeswoman" is not given a name. How convenient.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

poor bugger i this is the guy in nimbin in the pannle van with aboriginal flag on the side?

it was bound to happen, how else was he making the free tincture he was giving away.

regardless of the dilution THC is still illegal, even small traces would be enough, no arguing theres no THC, but he could easily argue its for medical purposes becuase there is not enough THC to get "stoned" from.

aboriginal elders should step in maybe... crack up a stink...Its against aboriginal belifs to deny someone help if you know how to help... discrimination of race?

On the other hand its perfect for "us"....

If he wins the case... it will forever be known in australia that MARIJUANA CAN LEGGALY BE USED FOR MEDICINE!!!

....imagine if he wins!! it will be perfect!

However, there is no law specifically allowing the use of medicinal marijuana in Australia

Edited by vual

this is actually realy realy realy realy realy exciting :P

maybe we should all get behind him... donate for a good legal team..... If he wins.... wow... lets insure he does win....

im sure he has the best lawyers the NSW H.E.M.P Party can afford :devil:

Edited by vual

Note that the "spokeswoman" is not given a name. How convenient.

Hmm i remember some time ago that "medical marijuana" was given a trial period in NSW but everyone was to stoned to apply for a permit.....

2000ish a long time ago... maybe just a hippy rumour...

My girlfriends father (now passed), who lived in Melbourne, used to have Multiple Sclerosis and was a member of the Compassion Club in Nimbin. Every month they would send him medicinal cookies and joints. After using these products his shaking would stop.

Such a waste that something natural, can be grown so easily and costs almost nothing to grow should be illegal for medical use

• Like 2

"On the other hand its perfect for "us"....

If he wins the case... it will forever be known in australia that MARIJUANA CAN LEGGALY BE USED FOR MEDICINE!!!

....imagine if he wins!! it will be perfect!"

If he wins in a local court (or worse for 'us' dismissed) it still wo'nt mean much for anyone else, precedent can only be set in a higher court.

Its exciting but still a bit wait & see.

Police raid "accredited" pot grower

A MID North Coast cannabis grower, raided by police during the latest drug operation, claims he's an accredited producer of medicinal cannabis.

Tony Bowers of Crescent Heads runs a business called Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd, which he says provides pain relief to more than 300 terminally and chronically-ill patients across Australia.

Extracting so called "non psycho-active THC" from marijuana plants, he produces 25-millilitre vials of his therapeutic cannabis tincture, which is taken orally under the tongue by a dropper.

Last week police moved on Mr Bowers' property and confiscated 200 plants.

As the polair helicopter circled above, he said he stated his case to drug squad detectives, but to no avail.

Officers pulled up his plants and took his collection of marijuana extracts.

"The police didn't take my plants off the street they took them off sick people, who need them, people don't get stoned off my tincture," Mr Bowers said.

His defence is that he uses the cannabis plants to produce "medicinal cannabis" for those with terminal or chronic illness and pain.

Police have confirmed the search warrant was executed on the property and say investigations are continuing.

No stranger to the Australian legal system, Mr Bowers was charged with cannabis cultivation 12 years ago and faced charges in Kempsey.

He has recently been embroiled in a longstanding campaign with the Therapeutic Goods Administration and NSW Health to have his synthetic cannabinoid tested, legalised and made available for mass production.

Mr Bowers says his pain relief remedy is used by cancer patients, AIDS and HIV sufferers and people with diseases such as multiple sclerosis.

He said it's just as useful for spinal injury patients right through to those with inflammatory bowel conditions and migraines.

"I am not worried about police charges, the only thing that worries me is that people need my products and can't get them because of this setback.

"It's time for the health departments State or Federal to intervene, as I have a product that works."

Mr Bowers said he's waiting to hear from police whether he will be charged, and if so, will explain to the magistrate he has been an accredited medicinal cannabis grower for four years.

http://www.coffscoas...ted-pot-grower/

Edited by shruman

I've met Tony a few times up at Mardigrass, sat through a few of his seminars and talks too, he's such a knowledgeable dude... I really hope he gets a leg up on this, and lets face it, if anyone can its Tony.

GO TONY!

d00d

• Like 1

He is still fighting & making & distributing the medicine, 1st court appearence on the 16th of april:

"I would like to thank those people who have kindly donated plants and supplies to help the medicine to continue. People need the medicine. I don’t want anyone to be worried or stressed. The medicine will continue to be there for them.

I feel that what the police have done is illegal and the warrant was obtained by deception. The police actions on the day would have made Laurel and Hardy proud. I expect to have everything to be returned and the charges to be dropped at the first court appearance on the 16th of April. I also expect the business to be fully compensated and my wife and I to be compensated for being illegally detained and assaulted. Our small dog was even kicked by one of the police.

Also compensation for the stress that has been placed on medical cannabis users of Mullaways tincture and a Medical Cannabis Card is to be issued to all Medical Cannabis patients.

Tony said “If I have done something wrong or illegal the the police should go to http://www.mullawaysmedicalcannabis.com.au/ for the facts, and then get a warrant the right way and we will do it again. Cannabis is a health matter and comes under the Commonwealth TGA. ”

Also “I would like to tell the police and the government that if they think for one minute that I will walk away from the sick and suffering in our country then they should think again. If they want a fight, then here I am, leave the sick alone.”

Thou shall do no harm. What has happened here has caused harm to people of Australia.

Zero Tolerance on Pain and Suffering.

As the Police have revealed our location I will be requiring the police to assist with security.

Anthony Bower

Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty. Ltd."

http://www.hempembassy.net/forums/after-the-facts/medical-cannabis/tony--quot-mullaway-quot--bower-raided-and-charged--medical-crop-confiscated/8,2663,flat.html

I didn't read any of the above but I used to live near him.. :)

Nice town lol

RF

i just had a thought, this guy's actions make him more than qualified for australian of the year, it would be awesome if talented writers and even film/doco type people could go keep a record of the events that will transpire and put him in a really good light, then try to get the public to see these articles and such, and then have people enter him in the aus of the year, i'm not really sure how it works so i dunno if people can enter other people or not... but what better way to get him out of trouble with the law and give light to medical cannabis.

can anyone see merit in what i'm saying?

• Like 2

Its an interesting idea chnt, still I would'nt view it as a silver bullet.

Some stuff on the warrant:

"Tony Bower, Director of Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd will challenge the validity of the Search Warrant obtained by police to enter his property and the seizure of over 200 medical cannabis plants and business records notwithstanding that police unlawfully entered the premises before obtaining the Search Warrant.

Mr Bower said "I am not walking away from this or from the hundreds of patients who use Mullaways Medical Cannabis Tincture. I have inspected the police application for the Search Warrant held at Kempsey Local Court House and found that the reasons given by the police to obtain the Search Warrant were false and misleading.

Tony Bower said "I intend to defend the charges and have served a subpoena on the Registrar of Kempsey Local Court for full access to the warrant application and supporting documents. A subpoena hearing is listed for 16 April in the Local Court at Kempsey on the same day police commence court proceedings against Mr Bower.

We have ascertained from the warrant documents that police failed to state in the application that the premises belonged to my company, Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd and that I showed them documentation that the medical cannabis was cultivated for patients suffering and dying from serious conditions such as cancer. "

Tony Bower said he held up the Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd company sign when the police helicopter was hovering over the medical cannabis plants. Tony Bower said "I walked across the road and spoke to police when they landed on an adjoining property. I fully informed police that the medical cannabis grown at the premises was for seriously ill and dying patients and to call the health department.

The police ignored everything I said and entered my premises without a warrant. They made no enquiries before applying for the search warrant even though I showed police business documentation. Police remained on the property while waiting for a search warrant. Once the search warrant was obtained I was taken into custody and was not present throughout the search of my premises.

There were no complaints made about the medical cannabis plants or tincture to the health authorities however police conducted this raid as part of their annual cannabis eradication program. It was clear that this was not a drug trafficking operation What drug trafficker has a website and a company registered under Commonwealth law. What drug trafficker has letters from their client's doctors recommending that their patients use medical cannabis to treat their medical conditions.

I am deeply offended that my business premises were raided in this manner and that I have been charged by the NSW police as a criminal under the Drugs Misuse and Trafficking Act." Tony Bower, Director of Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd, says he has maintained clear accountability and transparency in his business. All relevant State and Federal Government departments have been fully aware of Mullaways operations for years.

Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd has been open and forthright with all government departments, especially the New South Wales Police. Tony Bower said "I have endeavoured to comply with all government requirements for the past three years to get my company up and running and in the interim continue to get the medicine free of charge to chronically ill and dying people."

"I have worked tirelessly to bring my medical cannabis tincture under Commonwealth and International health laws and have been using a health model to ensure the safe and timely delivery of the tincture to patients however I continue to be blocked and treated with disrespect by the NSW government."

"It is clear that in the case of Mr Bower road blocks have been thrown up that would not have been there if he had been a multinational pharmaceutical company or the primary seedstock were not related to a recreational drug," Greens MP John Kaye said in an interview on 29 August 2011.

Mullaways Medical Cannabis Tincture is a therapeutic medicine used for therapeutic purposes by chronically ill and dying patients to relieve pain and suffering from cancer, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, Crohn's disease, arthritis and other serious illnesses. At all times the medical cannabis used to make the tincture has been grown for therapeutic use. Each medical cannabis plant seized by police was labelled for specific patients.

Many patients have been using Mullaways Medical Cannabis Tincture for years. Most patients have letters of support from their doctor. Mullaways is the only company in Australia providing medical cannabis. The only other avenue for patients to access medical cannabis is through the Commonwealth Government's Special Access Scheme. This is a long and expensive process as this cannabis product is required to be imported from an overseas medical cannabis company. Many patients are unable to afford it as it is unavailable on the PBS.

Mr Bower said he would also like to make it clear that "growing a herbal plant for medicine is part of my culture and my culture does not allow me to refuse chronically ill and dying patients access to my medicine. I know that I can help and even heal people with my medicine."

Almost half of Americans now have access to legal medical cannabis and European Union Companies are funded to develop medical cannabis products.

Does the New South Wales Government have a plan for the chronically ill and dying patients in this state who use medical cannabis as part of their therapeutic regime? We need to urgently address this issue here in Australia. "

http://isupportmedicalcannabisinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/mullaway-to-challenge-validity-of.html

Apparently Tony Bower has already been given an exemption to grow cannabis for medical purposes by a court. Seems odd to me that this news article didn’t mention that, maybe the author is just trying to make the NSW police look less incompetant than they actually are.

He makes his medical cannabis tincture from marijuana he grows himself. Caught for cultivation 12 years ago, he went to court in Kempsey, but emerged with what amounted to an exemption to grow cannabis for medical use.

http://www.smh.com.a...00125-mukq.html

• Like 1

Don't believe everything you read in the papers Jabez...

Read between the lines 'amounts to' 'effectively'- obviously open to intepretation & I think his is optimistic.

"A court appearance for cultivation of cannabis 12 years ago effectively left him with permission to grow up to 49 plants for personal use, but now demand for his product means he needs to grow more and licensing is proving ploblematical."

From the 1st link I posted, which you actualy originaly posted Jabez.

& if we are to take him at his word he was well exceeding his effective exemption of 49 plants...

Some of the latest stuff.

"Breaking News on Tony Bower (Mullaway). Tony was in court in Kempsey Last Monday and the DPP is unsure whether it is able to proceed to trial. Tony has been re-scheduled to appear again in Kempsey Court on 9 May 2012. A subpoena has revealed flaws in the NSWPOL application for the warrant, and both the judge and the prosecutor are unsure if this case will actually go to trial. So far Tony seems to have the upper hand. We will see on May 9th.

Regards Julie"

http://www.facebook.com/mullawaysmc

"Greens Call For Medical Cannabis

Posted on 24 April 2012

The NSW Greens have called for the legalisation of medical cannabis, while NSW Police have raided the only producer of a cannabis-derived health product in Australia.

Greens MLC David Shoebridge made the call at a recent rally in Martin Place.

“If a doctor believes that the prescription of cannabis is the best, sometimes even the only, way of dealing with your chronic pain, why do we prohibit that and make it unlawful here in NSW?”

Greens MLC John Kaye told the Star Observer he would move a motion during Parliament’s spring sitting which would outline a plan for a one-year medical marijuana trial under which GPs and treating specialists would be able to prescribe medical cannabis to people with relevant conditions, including HIV, with the approval of the Health Department.

Medical cannabis has been shown to help reduce nausea, pain, appetite loss and wasting associated with HIV.

The trial would be monitored by a panel of health experts who would report at its conclusion.

“We are convinced that there is enough evidence now that says there are people who would massively benefit from the availability of medicinal cannabis,” Kaye said.

“The only thing that really stands between them and the relief from symptoms of suffering, and in some cases improved health, is the irrational connections that politicians make between medicinal cannabis and the recreational use of marijuana.”

In related news, Mullaways Medical Cannabis Pty Ltd was raided in March as part of the NSW Police’s 2011/2012 Cannabis Eradication Program despite its operating with the knowledge of state and federal departments for more than three years.

Police seized and destroyed cannabis plants that were to be made into a tincture of cannabis which Mullaways was supplying free of charge to more than 300 people with conditions including cancer, multiple sclerosis and HIV.

All recipients had doctors’ letters advising them to take the tincture.

Mullaways has since resumed manufacturing the tincture.

“I haven’t stopped,” Mullaways director Tony Bower told the Star Observer. “These people are sick and I’m here to get those people the medicine they need.”

Synthetic pharmaceuticals that contain the same active ingredients as cannabis can be legally imported by people with a recommendation from their doctor through the Commonwealth’s Special Access Scheme.

However, those drugs are prohibitively expensive for many as they are not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme."

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/australia-news/new-south-wales-news/2012/04/24/greens-call-for-medical-cannabis/76275

i just had a thought, this guy's actions make him more than qualified for australian of the year, it would be awesome if talented writers and even film/doco type people could go keep a record of the events that will transpire and put him in a really good light, then try to get the public to see these articles and such, and then have people enter him in the aus of the year, i'm not really sure how it works so i dunno if people can enter other people or not... but what better way to get him out of trouble with the law and give light to medical cannabis.

can anyone see merit in what i'm saying?

wow you are not just a trol you have good ideas and feelings to ;) nice one dude, really ike it.

i'll take that as a compliment however i've never considered myself to be a troll.