The Corroboree
curaezipirid

Guess the spore . . . ?

erysi8.jpg I confess that I really don't even know enough about fungus to know that it is a spore, but it's a beauty, and I do know what the fungus is.

I feel like I ought to offer a reward for guessing correctly. . . . how about a set of homeopathic medicines/remedies useful for prophylaxis against addictive personality traits?

(any arguments about the theory or efficacy of homeopathy belong elsewhere though)

No way! That's a fungal spore? Sheesh!

I thought it was a hoax until I looked it up. The world is an amazing place!

are you sure thats a spore it doesnt look like it to me

maybe a germinating spore but definately doesnt look like a spore to me

branched structure is the tip of a cleistothecial appendage, spore/s are contained within the black cleistothecium on the left

Erysiphe/Microsphaera?

i.e. a powdery mildew

It is THE "cleistothecial appendage", (thanks for that correction, spores I gather, maybe even tinier therefore???), of the fungus/a mildew indeed, that destroyed half the crops in Afghanistan in 2010, (same year somebody put more of what this funguses food was, in Afghanistan, in a bong before handing it to me, pissing off right up out of the water, into researching how to destroy such crops biologically, now while still enduring the fckn 3 years the shit takes to detoxify)

Anybody wanting to claim the prize (since I didn't even know what part of the fungus it is, and "a powdery mildew" is indeed correct), send me a pm

Diseases affecting the Opium Plant

Opium poppy crop is susceptible to a number of diseases which affect the opium yield, most of which can be classified as fungal diseases. The other diseases caused by bacteria, virus and those associated with nutritional deficiencies. During the crop cutting experiment in 1993-94 in Uttar Pradesh one poppy crop was affected by downy mildew and the opium yield stopped after the second lancing. A description of the diseases is summarised below :-

a) Fungal diseases

1. Downy Mildew - is one of the most serious and wide spread diseases of opium poppy. It causeS hypertrophy and curvature of the stem and flower stolks.. the infection spread upwards from the lower leaves. The entire leave surface is covered by brown powder. The stem, branches and even capsules are also attacked resulting in premature death of the plants. In India, the disease appears annually on the crop from seedling stage to maturity in opium poppy growing areas of Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. The formation of capsules is adversely affected due to infection. Consequently, opium yield is significantly reduced.
  2. Powdery Mildew (Erysiphae Polygon) - is another minor fungal disease, however, it caused severe damage to opium crop in Rajasthan in 1972. It is general noticed at later stage of growth of plant and is characterized by white powder on leaves and capsules. Field sanitation is important to control this disease.

Three cheers for Erysiphae Polygon

Edited by curaezipirid

Sacred geometry, a fungal pathogen deliberately used to attack another sacred plant.

We think we know nature, and attempt to use her to create war.

But she will be here long after we are gone.