The Corroboree
Lophophile

New Member 21 years growing Cacti

Hi All,

Happy to have found a site where I can converse with other Cactophiles. User name sums it up really. I've been growing for 21 years. I don't consume them I just love growing. I've grown some very nice specimens over the years. I inherited a specimen from my Grandfather which at best guess minimum 60 years old more likely 70+. I'll get some pics up soon. The old one looks terrible it doesn't seem amazing to me, it's not, but I've taken some nice cuttings from it over the years. Every season I seem to learn a little more, mostly from observation. However it's a painfully slow process. I have developed a great deal of Patience from growing. I've had multiple disasters over the years eg my cat using a pot, with 150 several week old babies it, as it's litter box. All dead could not save one, almost cried. I grow Trichos as well. I've not tried grafting yet so I've plenty more to learn. I'm at the stage where attempting grafting wont effect my numbers if I fuck it up.

Looking forward to sharing my knowledge with anyone who is interested and learning more from you all. I'll post again soon Bye for now.

• Like 3

Welcome mate! It's good to have someone with your experience join, I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

I think I speak for all of us when I say we're also looking forward as well to your knowledge being shared.

Secondly...

I've had multiple disasters over the years eg my cat using a pot, with 150 several week old babies it, as it's litter box.

Shit! Mine are completely exposed and the neighbour's cat could easily wreck the seedling trays. Thanks for the warning. I'll have to buy some shade-netting ASAP.

Edited by βluntmuffin

Welcome mate! It's good to have someone with your experience join, I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

I think I speak for all of us when I say we're also looking forward as well to your knowledge being shared.

Secondly...

Shit! Mine are completely exposed and the neighbour's cat could easily wreck the seedling trays. Thanks for the warning. I'll have to buy some shade-netting ASAP.

No probs. The CAT. Dug into a pot containing a trich which was 12 feet approx. I was living in a unit on the 3rd story. I heard it go. Smashed into 3 pieces. No problem with them really. Hardy plants will grow on concrete.

It's a small miracle I didn't kill the cat. I didn't even punish her was my fault. I've actually lost more cacti over the years to "Natural disasters", like the cat, than I've been able to grow. The cats been dead for a couple of years but I have more now and I've learned my lesson. Definitely cover or move your cacti if there is any possibility a cat can get at them. When I think about it that cat 'PIXIE' killed hundreds maybe thousands. Such is Life! I will post some pics soon. I don't have any recent photos when it stops raining I'll take a few snaps to share.

Hey loph, good of ya to join us :)

I am very eager to see what you have in stall for us!

Have a good time mate

Great community here

Chef

Hi Lophophile, i appreciate people who have years of experience. Its not a co-incidence that many older people tend to be great cactus growers. Some stuff you just have to see with your own eyes and some bad experiences need to be made before you reach a certain level. Thats just the way it is and all the fresh growers around here can benefit from that. So welcome and please share some pics. bye Eg

Hi!

Pleased to see another cactus passionate person.

Im looking forward to maybe exchanging some seed with you, always good to have new genetics,

If your in Vic please feel free to come say hello see my garden and talk cactus (Sound like I'd like to see your garden sometime too!)

Ive been meeting some new members recently and its been working out well :)

Welcome. Would love to see a few of your plants :)

lophophile once you get grafting lophs, youll never look back...i too grew all lophs on their own ""legs" for the first 2 years of my gardening addiction, and have recently discovered the simplisicity of and drastic benifits of grafting loph seedlings onto pereskopsis....BOOM growth!

Welcome by the way and i can fully appreciate your desire to immerse yourself amongst like minded people who actually like, live, love, and learn all about cacti!

I