The Corroboree
Chef

Free Cacti Only Trading

I was wondering if we could start a thread for cacti only trading be it seed or cuttings/rooted cuttings? incl WA??

If this were to begin i have one or two var bridg and a hybrid?

Who thinks we should start this thread :P

Maybe im just in my own world?

Edited by Chef_

i'd get on on this. with regards to including WA though, on the chance something didnt make it in there the unlucky WA member would then be understandably hesitant to post out the next bit and potentially hold up the thread. perhaps WA members at their own risk? either way, a good idea i think.

im up for it... just depends what the man says

Edited by jwerta

i dont know what, atm. but maybe/possibly there could be some kinda thing we could set in place say to WA member didnt get what they wanted they for one wouldent have to continue a post(send stuff) and get some kind of credit? sounds like we would need a moderator to keep track of things or is that too outta line?

my 2 cents. The main serial trading thread gets stuck often so it may be best to keep it all in one thread for the purpose of keeping things rolling?

Having said that, im mainly only interesting in getting more cacti these days so I would be more likely to use this thread

my 2 cents. The main serial trading thread gets stuck often so it may be best to keep it all in one thread for the purpose of keeping things rolling?

Having said that, im mainly only interesting in getting more cacti these days so I would be more likely to use this thread

That is more of a reason for me to try and get this thread going because i am but arent really interested in non-cacti seeds/plants that mostly get thrown into that other thread.. hence the tittle cacti only trading.... but i do know what u mean...

cacti dont seem to be taken up in the other thread, or people put up nothing but catnip and cabbage seeds in place of something good and thats how it gets halted. with a cacti only thread, it is far less likely for a terrible offer to be put up by someone and i think a fair few people would get involved. would be a good way to obtain and exhange crosses and varied forms and seedlings especially after the mass sowing outs some people here do. i do have a couple of concerns though:

would lophs be allowed for offer and it then comes down to the people living in prohibitorystates not taking up said offers or taking without the lophs or would they just not be allowed?

also, would there be some sort of post count minimum to both ensure the person is a contributing member or something?

1. maybe a trich/loph only type thing

2. maybe a slight post count but i dont want to sound like some eff head because i would love to join in on the action if i just joined, but maybe a slight post count i dunno? (up to mods if it ever makes it as a thread)

3. lophs hmmmm thats a big question and i dont think i am the person to answer it(again maybe up to mods?) but lophs can get through WA cos they come out of WA dont they? (please tell me if that shouldent be posted!!!)

if lophs are out of the question maybe say so (if the thread continues) possibly trich/ var sp only??

someone help me here :P

I think it a good idea in some ways but It could stall very easily if run the same way as the free seed and plant exchange. What is going to happen when someone puts up a pc pach who is going to take that and offer a cut a peruvian, bridge or a loph. Maybe if pc pach was to be put in the mix it would need to be a minimum size or 3 pieces. but how many of us would still take the pach

As far as WA goes at the moment we aren't supposed to bring any plant in but a lot of people do and anyone in WA that has a plant sent to them must take full responsibility for any loss and carry on the trade as if they received there part

I have heard from another person the other day that there has been some changes to this quarantine law but I haven't been able to find out any more as yet.

Cheers

Got

cacti dont seem to be taken up in the other thread, or people put up nothing but catnip and cabbage seeds in place of something good and thats how it gets halted.

Or an IOU :blink: Im actually starting to think I may have dreamed that person's post. It's too out there for it to have been real.

Anyway... does anyone else think that the place could be getting "trading thread loco" ? A general thread, a spore thread, a high-end thread, a WA thread an now a cacti thread ? Where does it stop ?

I want to see a trading thread dealing only with yellow-flowered biannual vascular plants native to Lituania.

• Like 1

@ ^^^ im not interested with mostly anything else bar cacti, i know what ya's are sayin maybe i was wrong and we shouldent do this

• Like 1

Interesting concept, and has my interest.

If you've identified WA gunna have to look at Tas too. However my opinion if its nabbed, its nabbed you will know

and alls fair. If its sent then its been honoured, the trade etc put up stands

Thats me but, can't vouch for others.

Whats a slight post count??

Cheers

WB

• Like 1

Speaking of nabbed, you received my parcel yet WB ?

I have brother,

thought I replied via PM? Crazy days mate, crazy days....

thats what i was saying? maybe 25 or 50 i dunno? im asking for input here, fair enough TAS should be involved but i dont know anything about quarentine.

I made a postal for a mate because he got something off ebay whom wasent sending to WA so old matey got it sent to me(NSW) and i sent it to WA and it was recieved.. maybe TAS too?

Im not saying no TAS or WA

in laymans terms i just want a cacti thread...

id say slight post count to be around 20, rarely someone of no benefit to the rest of the people here seem to get past there. the PC pach concern is a good one and one i hadn't thought of, perhaps a 'no PC pach' rule is in order, because i can't imagine many keen on more. the 'tricho/loph' rule is good also, but i think the odd other rarity would be good too, various crests and oddities.

edit: left out 'no' before benefit, woops

Edited by dionysus

and of the fact that lophs are illegal in several states ? Do you want a central trading place for such items? This might be dangerous.

So, No PC pach, no lophs, no 'others', maybe WA & Tas, maybe not. That's then a trich-only trading thread.

Hooray , I may not be slight anymore :)

Have done the ebay trick before. Just raising it as WA isn't the only nun-fun place.

Some folk can be be pricks even when they know what they are up to however, not all are such pricks :wink:

On the other hand some folk don't want to send, and I am willing too accept that (so maybe a disclaimer?)

(I will not forget however :wave-finger: )

Cheers

WB

again, i just want a trich/maybe but prob not loph section i understand that... i wanted to include WA and TAS but sounds like we cant.. so all agree trich only with no PC Pach and no Loph(unless within valid states??)

Just putting it out there :wink: No stress Chef

Can possess a loaded loph down here but ....

i realy dont think this is a good idea, nor is it needed. The spore thread was only started because andy banned them from the "seed & plant exchange" forum. But thats my opinion

Edited by Bush Turkey

If you want to only trade trich and only with east coast states just put a post in the trade section and offer up what you have and then keep a look out for plants that you want we don't need another trade thread with a heap of restrictions.

We didn't all get our collections over night we waited for the cacti that we wanted to become available and then traded or bought it and then went on the hunt for the next on our list I am still looking for certain clones and one day I will get them in the meantime I am adding to my collecting by sowing seeds and grafting

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

fair enough scrap this ideani

Fair enough for throwing the idea out there though. As a community, it's good to know (think) that some decisions are made as a mutually agreed concept.

But yea, as there's already a whole subforum dedicated to "Seed & Plant Exchange", it's not really viable to break it down into single plant-specific (edit: ongoing) swap threads. Just post what you have in a new thread, and make a request for what you want in return :)

I can see why there's a need for a spore thread though. While we're all into gardening, only a minority are into mycology, and no matter how good a swap deal in the ongoing thtread, spores are quite likely to kill the momentum.

All the best, Chef !

Psy

Edited by Psylo Dread