The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
HEWLETT

thanks for the help

It was over a year ans a half ago that

i found this site,i had several problems

with my right hand sholder after a failed

operation,depression was the main one....

pain was the second.after talking to someone in the chat room he told me ,to read about the pain,

i did ,he also said throw all the antidepression

pills in the bin i did,i has taken me a long time

to come back but the depression is now far gone,

ill always have the contant pain,but thats goes and comes,thats all i wanted say thanks to some guy named tolsten or something.thanks

That would be Torsten?

Hey there Hewlett :) ,pain and depression,and their relationship has been a part of our (my partner and 3 kids) lives for years now,and ,I dunno,but I think if we struggle with what we think we shoud have;and what we do...then we don't really accept our lives :confused:

My partner lives in constant pain,which she bravely faces each day

I couldn't do it!

I myself have undergone the whole 'chemical lobotomy' aka antidepressants!

I agree- dump'em :mad:

I'm no preachin' f@cker,but I reckon that,understanding yourself,and accepting that shit happens is the key to getting up in the morning

Hi Hewlett,

not sure if it was me, but yeah, sounds like me as I give that sort of advice quite frequently. I am glad that it helped you. Don't give up on the pain thing just yet. There are many plants out there that may help and in many cases pain becomes so much more bearable when it is intermittent (ie if you can get rid of it for a day or two at a time). Sure, you may never get rid of it entirely, but there is so much you can do to make it bearable. But you won't get most of the answers from a doctor.... you will have to do more reading and more research.

Just as an example, you won't find any doctor who will tell you that in clinical trials many years ago LSD was found to be as effective in alleviating chronic severe pain as morphine. The "side" effects were found to be unacceptable by the researchers though

This is not entirely unknown though as the Getty daughter (yes, the multibillionare) - the one who worked with Elizabeth Taylor in AIDS charity - used to give LSD ILLEGALLY to the dying people in their hopices as it was the only drug that worked even after morphine became useless. More importantly it also provided a time window for the morphine tolerance to wear off so that the morphine became effective again. This is just one of many examples of how pain can be treated which a doctor won't tell you.

Also have a look at many traditional methods of treating pain, starting with acupunture. I am not saying that you will find a solution, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt trying.

At the core of it remember that pain is a biochemical process and that many substances or physical and mental processes can interfere in it.

I hope you find something to make your life easier. While I agree with mescalito that your life should not revolve around finding a solution, I also believe that there is no harm in keeping on loking. Simply resigning youself to the fact that you will always have pain is an option, but so is looking for other solutions. Just don't let the search become all-consuming. Don't let it run your life. Accept the fact that you may have this pain all your life, but at the same time don't give up hope unless you have tried everything or unless you are sick of looking. I just know too many people who found a solution after months, years or decades of looking..... but I also know some who tried everything (and yes, I mean everything they could possibly find) without finding any comfort.

Pop in every now and then or stick around and maybe we can provide more pointers.

Good luck.

Torsten

[ 04. August 2003, 18:21: Message edited by: Torsten ]

thought i'd mention a herb i have found useful,gypsyweed,lycopus virginicus,it is more an adaptogen than a painkiller.it basically allows one to be clearheaded and funsional[effing spelling!] even though pain is present.

if anyone can obtain plants or seeds i would be interested and grateful.i have the other species but it is said to not be as effective.

t s t .

Yes Torsten it was you I remember I started a whole long thread about this thing it was called

"zoloft something something"

wish somebody could give me good advice on my problem too...

Hi

We also live with chronic pain. :( It is what got us interested in plants & EB.

We have found this Aussie site helpful & supportive for those with chronic pain and their carers - they are good people. http://www.painworld.zip.com.au/

Take care

Ditto and thanx too :)

Just read the word "carer"...

what do you people think about that lovely Mr. Howard wanting to take the Carer's pension away?

No to mention his statement yesterday on 'getting married',to 'ensure the survival of the species'.........What a Nazi wanker!

As for the carers pension thing.... :mad: ,I worked for myself most of my life (qualifications and all),paid a shitload of taxes,got squeezed into a wage job thanks to the GST-then became a carer for my partner.

I thought what comes around goes around :confused:

A couple'a hundred a week aint much to live on :(

(arse-holes :mad: )

"what goes round comes around"- is it wrong ov me to hope that thru some ill fortune howerd himself is forced into the 'job' ov carer?

I thought that tripping when experiencing depression, or if you are constantly fighting it wasnt such a good idea? As someone who has had problems with depression basically since i was in highschool (6-7 years) and though i believe i am climbing back out of that now (at last) i am still relcutant to try acid for fear of having a bad experience and doing more damage.

This is only information i have got from plenty of reading on all sites with information relating to the use of different substances, does anyone here have anything to say or share that contradicts this?

As far as anti depressants go my only experience is that the SSRIs that i was on for a year were far worse than the bouts of depression that they were supposed to be treating, Aropax (paxil is the common name) really did make me feel as though i had a chemical lobotomy, i didnt get depressed but my emotions were in this constant limbo state and as a nice side-effect i put on about 20 kgs in 8-9 months. After a year i ditched the meds and had a pretty terrible few months then realised i had to treat the things in the life that were causing depression. A few ups and downs later (including smoking far too much weed, which for me didnt help at all!) i have been dealing with the sources of my depression and for the first time feel i have a grip on it and am getting somewhere, life is suddenly a whole lot more positive and i can see the opportunities that lie in front of me rather than the ones behind that i have allowed to get away from me.

I know the thread is mainly about dealing with pain from your shoulder but i would be interested to hear from hewlett about how he has managed to get on top of the depression himself without medication. Also i am only speaking from my own personal experiences, i believe that anti depressants can have a place if they are used appropriately and if someone is experiencing it so severely as to be suicidal then they may obviously be needed there, but they arent a magic fix and if you dont find the root of your depression and deal with it it will never go away, just be pushed out of sight while you are on the medication. Its terrible that doctors are just throwing this sort of medication at people with very little diagnosis instead of actually helping them properly.

[ 06. August 2003, 12:39: Message edited by: deaders ]

Ummm.. Well Said !

Its terrible that doctors are just throwing this sort of medication at people with very little diagnosis instead of actually helping them properly

perhaps through all their years of study doctors have gained the insight that they cannot attack the true reasons of depression (i.e. capitalist society)so they do what they think is the next best thing:

Dole out antidepressants and turn people into virtual robots, which means, it doesn't matter what goes on in their heads and hearts, as long as they keep working and thus keep the capitalist machine moving... for the greater good of the rich and infamous....

Thanks for the advice ,i think the way i worked my way through drepresson was to read about the problem in books and on the net, then i just started wal;king for long periods each day in a forset park near where i live, the open air the trees it was one way to clear the mind, but one of the best pain killers so far is peppermint tea with honey i have 2 pots a day and this helps me plus i do garden works so all these things help.

thanks again.