The Corroboree
Torsten

New classifieds feature

There are a few cosmetic bugs, but it should function OK. Give it a whirl.

• Like 2

Loving these upgrades Torsten!

Me too! getting snazzier and snazzier.. Good work T!

is the profile images not showing in the classifieds as well as the username not showing in the front page window part of the cosmetic bugs? also i think it would be cool to have the price of said item show in the box on the front page as well.

cool love the classifieds, now i will have to post some ads just to see how it works :)

is the profile images not showing in the classifieds as well as the username not showing in the front page window part of the cosmetic bugs?

yes. the bug has been fixed in the new release which hasn't been released yet. so we just wait.

Problem is that we did such a recent update to the forum core that the apps haven't had time to adjust yet.

How much for Test 1? (inc postage please)

How much for Test 1? (inc postage please)

It's advertised as $10, but postage might be over $2000 :P

this is small question.my firfox browser thingy does not show the members avatar. when i anon/non-anon sign in, it still only says"oxidiser" or etc in the box where there pic should be? is my nowser needing a plugin or is me settings wrong?

nah its bugged as T stated.

Also, i have a reasonable request. Could we maybe move "recent topics" back to the top?

ALSO ALSO $2000 is far less than reasonable, i refuse your offer.

a couple of questions on the classifieds......

why is there no 'preview post' selection? It's either post your ad or cancel.

We can preview our posts & PM's prior to posting but not the classified ad....??

Is it possible to link to a photo in the body of the classified versus uploading the photo to the gallery?

(kinda hard to tell without a preview function)...........

Listed something today, and a few hours later wanted to slightly edit the post, but the error response advised that too much time had elapsed. Amy reason for this, and can it be switched off?

Also: you should consider a 5% fee on successful sales, with those funds going towards a community-agreed charity. Obviously it would be an honourary thing, not something you would want to police.... unless someone wished to volunteer as the overseer of such a project.

• Like 3

you should consider a 5% fee on successful sales, with those funds going towards a community-agreed charity. Obviously it would be an honourary thing, not something you would want to police...

If this ^ was agreed on, i think it would be good for the 5% of sales to go towards what it costs to keep this Forum running? ( i actually think we should contribute more somehow towards the up keep of SAB)

• Like 4

The limit for editing is so that you can't deceptively change a listing after too long a period. eg, advertise 40cm of cactus for $40, but then after a few days change it to 40mm for $40, a change many people would not notice. It is a default setting and I don't mind changing it if it is an issue.

I don't mind paying for the upkeep of the forums. however, there may come a time in the future when I might not be inclined to do so anymore, especially if I was to pass ownership onto another individual or group. eg if something happened to me or if I got sick and had to quickly dump a lot of responsibilities and financial burdens. Not that I envisage any such thing, but then neither do the owners of other forums and that usually results in the forum disappearing.

So I figured it would be nice to have a system in place where if the forum was owned by the mod team, it would also have a revenue stream to keep it going. I've always disliked commercial advertising, but I think a classifieds system that is run by the community for the community is a nice way of raising such revenue.

• Like 2

The limit for editing is so that you can't deceptively change a listing after too long a period. eg, advertise 40cm of cactus for $40, but then after a few days change it to 40mm for $40, a change many people would not notice. It is a default setting and I don't mind changing it if it is an issue.

There are no specific identification numbers assigned to a listing, so a user could simply close their existing advert, and re-open another, after editing. The only public evidence of a change would be that it is bumped up to the head of the open classifieds list. Amongst community members, it's unlikely to be for the 'bump', but it seems to be the only option to legitimately edit, if one may so choose.

Solution? A 'closed adverts' folder containing previous movements that is available for review by all, in order to 'spot' any erroneous changes between listings. They might even include a reason for closure, one of four selections:

Expired (the 30 days is up)

Sold (when the money has been recieved by the seller)

Early Close (if a listing user has pulled the advert before the expiration without making a sale)

Admin Close (for any early closures made by the moderator(s) for miscellaneous reasons)

Just freestylin' on ideas. Thoughts?

I don't mind paying for the upkeep of the forums. however, there may come a time in the future when I might not be inclined to do so anymore, especially if I was to pass ownership onto another individual or group. eg if something happened to me or if I got sick and had to quickly dump a lot of responsibilities and financial burdens. Not that I envisage any such thing, but then neither do the owners of other forums and that usually results in the forum disappearing.

So I figured it would be nice to have a system in place where if the forum was owned by the mod team, it would also have a revenue stream to keep it going. I've always disliked commercial advertising, but I think a classifieds system that is run by the community for the community is a nice way of raising such revenue.

So in the interim, while the sun is still shining for this forum's expenditure coverage, thanks to your sole contribution, what do you think of an honesty-based 5% tithe (well, that's a half-tithe) on all sales, with proceeds donated monthly to, let's say Erowid. Or the Sensorium Project. Keeping it within the general interests of this community of course (no, we won't be donating to the Vatican NYE party at a Texas Ranch Brothel) A quarterly poll could be conducted, and ensuing discussion could be posted for everyone to decide who get's the SAB donation injection to help with continued operations.

It could be enginneered as simply as a Paypal button somewhere in the Classifieds section, linking to the account of "Recipient of the Quarter". For the sellers who decide not to honourarily uphold the half-tithe, there may well be other members who wish to throw a little few dollars into the agreeably-chosen bucket just for the heck of it. Even better, if sellers could post a screendump of their half-tithe contribution, and a note that cross references the sale that drove the donation. Not for policing, or for a mod to say "where's ya 5%, gringo?", but just some information available to all members should they wish to take a look.

I'm not suggesting at all that this should be your focus in customising the new system, but as a theoretical suggestion, what you you think of the proposal ?

What do others think of the proposal ?

I think this deserves a new thread. Maybe even a poll :)

• Like 1

can there be some sort of "sold" sign put on listings to show an item has been sold, rather than pulled or ran out of time? doesn't have to be there for long, just a day or two. or a "sold folder" where sold listings go.

I have to repeat that this is a new module fro a third party contributor. if a feature is not here then it hasn't been created yet. all I can do is suggest these to the creator, but progress might take a while.

Of course. But there can always be a set of loose guidelines that dictate the classifieds. All my rubbish aside, I think a 'closed ads' would be great, kind of like a 'sent items' in your email client. That way the evidence of changes is always there.

EDIT: A quick review of the developer's site, and a run through of his demo, would suggest that no such feature exists. So nothing you can do about that. A shame, because I think it would add some accountability.

While packaging up some sceletium packs this afternoon, a thought occured to me. For people making a listing that sells multiple items (such as mine & punkins), there will be a lot of enquiries. A result of these enquiries is the seller giving their paypal or bank details to the enquiring party, but this isnt a confirmation of sale. My fear is that if folks take days to get onto it before transferring funds, there may be no supplies left, due to other people getting their $$ to the seller faster - but they have gone ahead and transferred funds anyway. It's then the seller's responsibility (I think anyway) to refund not only the money, but wear the costs of paypal transfer fees for both the receipt of the money and the transfer back to the funds sender.

Right now, the only option appears to be that a seller deletes his/her original advert, and reposts it with updated information such as "Limited stocks - please PM for availability". Pain in the arse really, when they should be able to simply go in and edit the origina; advert to communicate this.

And... to address Torsten's concerns of dodgy editing, without an advert history folder for all to see, a seller can wipe all traces of the original offer anyway, right ?

I think the editing lockdown should be removed. What do others think ? Seriously there are so few instances of people ripping others off here. My only caveat might be a minimum post count to use the classifieds, say 50 posts, which is a good number to indicate that a member is more than just a blow-in.

Edited by Psylo Dread

paypal refunds are free for 60 days.

paypal refunds are free for 60 days.

where do you get that?

Within the last few days I issued a refund on a $50 transaction & was charged $1.95.

Also, fwiw-

When sending funds, if a person chooses the option "Send Funds to Family & Friends", paypal doesnt charge a fee if the funds are coming from your paypal account balance or linked bank account.

where do you get that?

In the ledger screen, behind the transaction there is a button that says 'issue refund' in each transaction line. Use this to get into the refund screen and then edit as needed. This button disappears after 6 or 8 weeks, can't rememebr exactly.

Maybe it only applies to business accounts.

I think the editing lockdown should be removed. What do others think ?

Ya got my vote. I just tried to edit my ad regarding payment & shipping details. nope, no can do.

I'd like to pass along a suggestion regarding the edit feature, that being no existing data can be changed but new data could be entered.

Seems kind of stupid to have to close the advert in order to add additional details.

oye vey