The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
RyanVolle

Bonsai

Is it necessary to cut the bonsai's roots? There may be additional questions I will add along the way in this thread.

Also, is it possible for bonsais to bear fruits?

I dont have a bonsai mate but im pretty sure thats what stunts its growth, other wise it would just be a normal tree i think? And bonsai fruits would be pretty sweet if it can be done, tiny little snacks

Yes, it is key to trim the roots of a bonsai. But this is only typically done once a year. Bonsai do flower but I'm not sure about fruit. Best to ask 7baz something like that.

Like they said, root pruning is needed.

Fruits depend on species and their reproductive habits but if the flowers are fertilized there is little reason to assume no fruit/seeds from the result unless you shock it somehow after fertilization (such as pruning/root pruning may cause lack of fruit set).

I have definetly seen flowering bonsais - a cherry tree with cherries almost as big as the tree!

From memory roots are trimmed and channelled into root bundles tied together with copper wire that helps to stunt the growth of the plant.

Its been ages since I did reading, but thats what I remember.

I have bonsai chillis and they all set mini fruit, and occasionally i get it wrong and they set full size fruit, which causes the tree/shrub shock from too much fruit, and i end up having to take half the fruit off, or risk losing 4 year old 'annaul' chillis from over production lol.

If you want more info on traditional species of Bonsai...speak to 7Baz....hes the man.

once a year you should repot a bonsai take it out its pot trim the roots off the bottom

and maybe around the edges then add some fresh soil to the pot

and yes you can grow fruiting bonsai im sure not all fruiting plants will work but it will definately work with some fruiting plants

Is it necessary to cut the bonsai's roots? There may be additional questions I will add along the way in this thread.

Also, is it possible for bonsais to bear fruits?

root pruning is a definite yes and depending on the size of plant can be done yearly or every couple of years and yes they can set fruit but it is not always reduced in size.