The Corroboree
cactuscarl

cactus mutations

Hi all

I have an insane amount of pilosocereus seed I'm going to put down soon. I'm trying to get some to crest so i was wondering if there is any way i can increase my chances of getting a couple to crest or mostrose. I don't care if it might kill a few or if your info is just hear say I'm up for experimenting:)

I was also wondering if anyone has or has seen a crested pilosocereus azureus I've had a bit of a look and couldn't find any pics is it possible or do some cacti never crest?

Cheers

What do you consider to be an 'insane amount of seed'?

You can induce mutagenesis in seeds through use of radiation or certain chemicals, but you're unlikely to be able to get access to either and even if you could, it's extremely dangerous.

Mutations are more likely with hybrids, but if you sow 10000 seeds you might get lucky.

Edit: typos

Edited by tripsis

I have like 40,000 and there is still fruit but to sow that many is going to be a mission and take up way to much space so i was hoping to increase my chances

At least I'll have heaps of grafting stock anyone using pilo's as stock, are they any good. They grow fast enough that's for sure

Edited by cactuscarl

If you sow them all, you'd probably get something interesting, but that's no small amount of work.

If you want to induce mutagenesis through radiation/chemicals, you'll be putting yourself (and the environment) in a fair amount of danger. Mutagenic agents aren't only mutagenic to seeds, but would also be carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, etc, to humans and other organisms.

lol 40.000. :lol:

And i thought i would plant big numbers. Would love to hear more about this project in the future. Im extremely sure you´ll get a large number of mutants with that amount. Even without adding chemicals. What do you do with the approximate 39.950 normal ones? Planting so much needs a very good logistic. You know, they may take very long till they reveal if they are normal or not. You might end up with 40.000 fingersized cacti before you can say for sure. Or maybe longer. I´d use containers because you can staple them. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

maybe damage, in various ways, the apical meristem on a thousand or so seedlings ?

Yeah i won't be planting that many i just couldn't let them go to waste but i might try for 15,000 planted close :)

Id love to see this plant crest

Id love to see this plant crest

If you were to look on pg 19, Figure 25, in the book Teratopia, you could see a crested Pilocereus azureus.:wink:

Mainly on cristate and variegated succulents. Unique in panorama of the literature on succulents. Chapters include: fasciation, variegation, chimeras, monstrosities, naming, cultivation, classified odds (a systematic sampling of succulent teratophytes arranged under family). The book ends with an epilogue, glossary, and an appendix of recommended plants. 600 color photos. 287 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", hardbound w/color dustjacket. This is a one-of-a-kind book that will never be duplicated or copied.
  • Like 1

I thought this may be of interest. I found it in a 2002 addition of cultivar. ( if your a cactophile and dont read cultivar - get on it )

I would like to mention the experiment fulfilled by A.P. Sokolov, Alma-Ata, in 1972 when he kept 200 4-months old seedlings of Rebutia senilis v.stuemeri in the sun at +40°С for 20 to 30 minutes and in the refrigerator at 10-15°С for 3 to 4 minutes in 5 turns. Only 19 seedlings survived, 9 of them formed offsets in abundance including crest like fragments, and 2 of them formed true stable crests.

Link http://www.lapshin.o...-5/jornal-e.htm

Edited by tipz

Cheers tipz i will give that a go. I've only got around to planting about 2000, ppl keep sending me awesome trichocereus crosses and clone seed (thanks nitrogen and some from you i think tipz cheers) so I've been to busy dealing with those.