The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Yep, you can see me. That TBM top left ended up in a "good" spot too :rolleyes:

The little white sticks are name labels, no way I could keep track of what they all are just by memory alone! Looks messy but haven't figured out a better way of doing it yet.

haha i dont use them but ive managed to memorize them :P

but just a few species at a time of course and not would take a week or so

Edited by RyanVolle

Probably worth considering labels, especially if you start raising from seed.

It seems to be a very common characteristic of cacti collections that they get really out of control at some stage or another.

I wonder if there is a cacti-addicts anonymous?

Or is that this forum?

• Like 1

I've been checking out the growth of the T.Peruvianus (and also a top of a yowie) I planted as cuttings into pots. Both are growing well, DESPITE the darn virus in Brisbane's soil, having got to the T.Peruvianus straight away. Made it have a black spot under each of the first round of new spikes that grew. AND NOW, the whole plant is growing like a mutation of T.Peruvianus, sponsored by local soil habitat. It is growing fast enough, with no further black spots, but skinnier than the cutting, and skinnier than the first round of spikes coming up had got to, before the spots came. Its like the cutting doesn't want to go out of bounds of the dark spotted past it had when first potted and expected to start growing its own roots. It gets no fatter than the spots, which are almost definitely from the virus that is common enough in most Brisbane gardens, (and especially more likely to strike in more alkaline soil). I keep both plants drier than the rest of the garden is too, mainly just so as not to provide the right micro-climate for the virus. That might be how my T.Peruvianus changed its growth structure, in fact. First it caught a cold, from a lot of wet alkaline conditions, then I moved it into a sunny spot under the eaves, and watered it less than other plants, and it grew skinnier, but healthy.

I love my new cacti, and I even get into checking their growth every day.

Started to prepare everything so they aren't so exposed to the nasty weather I have been getting lately... Sick of moving them in and out from undercover... Any suggestions haha ?

Started to prepare everything so they aren't so exposed to the nasty weather I have been getting lately... Sick of moving them in and out from undercover... Any suggestions haha ?

Move them inside your house?

Stick bubble wraps :D

Move them inside your house?

Stick bubble wraps :D

They still need light dont they? And what do you mean by stick bubble wraps

you wrap bubble wraps around pots or stick 'em on ur greenhouse for cheap insulation

ohh yeah yeah I get ya now.. I was like wtf? lol

tar mate

Sprayed em with meths :o

Make sure to keep em out direct sunlight for the next hours. Everything alright for now? Dont be concerned...they should be fine. Never had problems and sprayed numerous times. Besides, i know many german Growers who use it. Best Echinopsis growers of the world cant be wrong. Well actually they can and do on a regular basis but sometimes they get things right by accident. lol. :)

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

It was very late afternoon. I dusted the whole plant includng roots (they were previously unpotted and washed) with sulphur. Then potted in fresh cactus mix with new stones on top, and sprayed with meths :) They absorbed (or it evaporated) pretty quickly.

All ok for now. When should I repeat the spray?

In 3-5 Days. But make sure that the soil isnt still wet then. If it isnt dry yet, only spray the upper parts of the plants. I recently sprayed a regular plant in humous soil and the friggin soil still isnt dry.

I finally planted all my cacti i won in that auction ages ago :)

hopefully the majority of them survive I will try and post pics some other day

Great Jwerta. What auction was it again? Have like 200-300 new plants that need to be potted asap but i just dont get to do it because theres always something more important.

Sweet. How variable are they? I mean as they come from the same seed batch. Its always astounishing to see how variable cacti from the same seed bag can be.

most of them look pretty much the same i found one little one that had a double head and there are a couple that are really hairy

Hey EG, what do you use the meths on cacti for?

@EG: Do you know someone names Volker Heinrich?

I dont know every single german, Ryan. :P

bogfrog, i use pure alcohol as a cheap pesticide for spidermites. It works pretty well against them and doesnt harm the cacti if you dont put them in direct sunlight.

• Like 1

Bought one of these, and started assembling. It smells chinese, and the workmanship is definitely chinese. Here's hoping it holds together for the house move!

138072934_full.jpg133787735_full.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, il keep that in mind for next time those little tykes try and kill my plants.

Good luck with the move Bit, I sure dont envy you now lol.

• Like 1

I made up a little tray for some of my Lophs and re potted them into some plastic shot glasses

After seeing what BB posted today I'm starting to think it was a waste of time & I could have just bunged them all in together.

I'll wait a few days and then water them in.

• Like 4

Would make sense, Herbalist. Volle, is it the person in the link? Do you know him?