The Corroboree

i received a TBM (clone B, I guess) from nitrogen (thanks brother :) )last april. It has done some pupping. I was tempted to cut pups and propagate it, as we don't have TBMs around here except for the melted wax. I never did it until last week when i saw a clump of pups throwing roots in the air.

P1050014.jpg

so i cut this clump of pups and planted it.

P1050031.jpg

i also had this coszcoensis stock that i grafted an areol of a SS01XTPM on but the areol never pupped. So i thought i could graft a TBM areol on it and that wwould speed up my TBM propagation.

I did the areol graft using the weights methods. I covered the exposed area with a plastic bag for three days then took it off. I believe it took. Today i took the weights off and transplanted the stock to a bigger pot.

Here's the graft when i did it

P1050020.jpg

P1050019.jpg

Here it is yesterday

P1050028.jpg

P1050027.jpg

Nice one Philo, I look forward to seeing how that areole graft progresses. A TBM from an areole graft would be very impressive!

I'll be interested to see how this turns out - I tried a bunch of areole grafts a while ago and didn't have much luck. You have my respect if this one takes!

imo cutting is the way to propagate TBMs. I did graft a couple , on on hylo, one on selini and one on bridgesi and they were all tiny pups - all took. You just try to root branched cuttings of some size, not single penises or very small cuts as they will take considerable more time to grow and become a nice TBM.

some cactus will root in the air, but its propably because it's stressed in some of the below unions, happened recently in a bridgesii of mine.

Some people say that grafting areoles of monsters will result in a normal plant, but I would like to see that with TBM. Is the areole you grafted still un-pupped? If yes, I got two areoles of leuchtenbergia that took but stalled.

which brings me to my next idea: what chemical would be helpful to areole grafts? maybe BAP?

thanks a lot guys for the positivity :)

However, i doubt that this graft will make as i introduced it way to early to the sun. I'll leave it and see how it goes and i will do more areol grafts in a week or so.

P1050052.jpg

P1050053.jpg

Some people say that grafting areoles of monsters will result in a normal plant, but I would like to see that with TBM. Is the areole you grafted still un-pupped? If yes, I got two areoles of leuchtenbergia that took but stalled

i don't know anything about that, but i kind of doubt it. Maybe this is true with crests. iGraft from the nook grafted a bunch of TBM areols to pereskiopsis and they all grew into TBMs.

which brings me to my next idea: what chemical would be helpful to areole grafts? maybe BAP?

Yes BAP is what you are looking for ;) however, i read that pups from BAPed areol eventually stall. I don't have access to BAP so all i said was from ehat i read from others experience.

TBM is an exception as it never throws a normal branch

Yes BAP is what you are looking for ;) however, i read that pups from BAPed areol eventually stall. I don't have access to BAP so all i said was from ehat i read from others experience.

The only thing BAP does is induce pupping at the BAP'd aerole. Pups induced from BAP can and do go on to lead perfectly normal lives. BAPing can also produce monstrosities that continuously pup. A big factor is the concentration of the BAP/lanolin mixture. BAP is typically mixed with a lanolin type material that one then applies to the aerole. A BAP'd aerole can take up to a year to pup. This is from personal, first hand experiences. YMMV.

Philo- you may have better luck on your aerole grafts if you cut off the flat edges all the way around the aerole. Bevel them back so that the only thing in contact with the root stock is the core vascular bundle.

Some people say that grafting areoles of monsters will result in a normal plant, but I would like to see that with TBM. Is the areole you grafted still un-pupped? If yes, I got two areoles of leuchtenbergia that took but stalled.

areoles of tbs will pup os the same as the mother IME with areole grafting to pereskiopsis

DSCF6701.jpg

DSCF6749.jpg

DSCF6776.jpg

dscf7236.jpg

DSCF7813.jpg

(sorry for being image heavy)

Wow, thanks for sharing that! How long did it take to get the stage in the last picture?

axis - you are my hero, i wish i can graft fat areols on pereskiopsis, like you :)

In my book you are one of the greatest master of grafting.

Much respect my friend :worship:

I think this areol graft is failing terribly. but i took zelly advice and i another try today and hopefully it will work this time.

Thanks zelly :)

nice work, wonder why peeps claim that areole grafts don't continue mutations on,cause this ones an obvious dick

nice work, wonder why peeps claim that areole grafts don't continue mutations on,cause this ones an obvious dick

I thought that just applied to grafting areoles from crests