The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mud

Nettle

It is quite nasty, known to kill dogs and there is a case of a lightly clad hunter dying after walking thru a patch of it.

Seems to cause a tiredness/mild fatigue and leaves a sting that feels like an electric shock for a few days afterwards when touched.

Anyone want some seeds? :P

Yes !!! i want seeds of this species and have wanted them for some time, got any?

has there been much work on the chemistry?

Yes !!! i want seeds of this species and have wanted them for some time, got any?

has there been much work on the chemistry?

PMd

I can only find info about it containing an unidentified neurotoxin.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/pmarticle/18283/A-Rat-Model-Of-Urtica-Ferox-Neuropathy.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17206658

I haven't, but my question is, how the hell did he get it all the way to his arse before realising it was a stinging tree?! Seems unlikely it's true.

yeah thats what i thought too, but i have never felt one of the a leaves myself

The pain is not significantly latent. Anyone would surely immediately realise that had just grabbed a leaf of the tree before proceeding to go further with it.

As a tea it apparently blocks the action of TNF alpha which explains its anti-inflammatory action, it also improves endothelial function by releasing nitric oxide and is a bit of a mood/energy booster. When i had four cups i actually felt slightly anxious... But I had had four cups of coffee as well.

@ pennypacker in australia we have this thing called a giant stinging tree Dendrocnide moroides... it gets to be about 30m tall eventually...

Ha, 30 metre high stinging tree, lol. Glad I'm in Europe with our non lethal and small nettle varieties. :P

actually i think it's Dendrocnide excelsa that gets to 30 or 40m.. not moroides .. both species are same deal as far as the brutality goes..

but yeah they're pretty crazy damn trees!

hello spunkrats,

i 'member as a kid mum collecting wild nettle and then making tea.she says it helps with(among many other things)your digestive system, treats ulcers, kidney/bladder/and liver ailments.

Plus,i was given this great little book for chrissy:

'Edible Weeds and Garden Plants of Melbourne'

It contains a small treasure trove of excellent pics and info about melbz weeds.

-more info here:

http://edibleweeds.com.au/

On the topic of nettles, here's a quick recipe from that publication

Nettles with Fetta and preserved lemon

Steam nettles lightly, just a couple of minutes.They will wilt like spinach and lose their sting entirely.

Place in serving bowl, splash with olive oil, crumble fetta cheese over and toss lightly. Add preserved lemon(careful with it it is quite strong tasting). Salt/ pepper to taste enjoy. Alternatively, add nettles into soup you are making.

:)

• Like 1

keep thems recipes comin if you got em, 'tis the season to harvest

33zfi11.jpg

i grow nettle f.urticaceae ? its a fuken cool herb rich in a,b,cd,e,k iron,and sooo on. good 4 shit loads shampoo, footbath,soups,tea 4 body pain etc crazzie herb!! cool cool herbarge!!!

n.b - if they look like ^^ do not use them in a stir fry, they are bitter as F* and taste like cancer, and also maybe AIDS. i have ruined my dinner.

• Like 1