The Corroboree
jaek

Good reference books for the aspirting mycologist?

Question

As the topic suggests, I am looking for some books that would help me to learn about and identify mushrooms of NSW. Next season I want to be able to reap a good harvest of actives, and I figure the best way to do so would be with a good knowledge of NSW fungi in general.

9 answers to this question

Picking actives is not legal.

However, if you wanted to learn some ID'in skills i would suggest that you go out with an experienced picker. Books really cant show you the feel of the mushroom and that is a big thing. Books are dificult to pick up actual colours and variations between environment and age. We have a camp every winter where we go out to a spot that usually has mushrooms, when its time feel free to tag along and learn what to and what not to pick...

Dont take any risk on just reading up in a book and internodesss, if you eat the wrong one you will die horribly..

Just remember this song, helps me a lot

• Like 1

I agree with Hillbilly.

As far as books go, Stamets's "Psylocybin Mushrooms of the World" is ok, goes through the basics and is a good introduction I reckon. I got mine at Borders (does Borders even exist now? They went bankrupt or something?). Fishpond.com.au would probably have it too, I've gotten a bunch of cool shit from them.

I'd love to tag along next year thanks for the info! In the meantime, I will be sure to take a look at the Stamet's book. Anyone know of some books on NSW fungi in general? My interest is not solely in psychedelic mushrooms, I like to go bushwalking and birdwatching, and am looking to gain knowledge about the flora and fauna of Sydney and its surrounds.

Thanks - Jake

hello,

i like a few guides:

Guide to hallucinogenic mushrooms of the pacific northwest (this one really changed the industry!)

simon & shulzters mushroom field guide

and there are a few guides by the audobon society

thats all i use really but i can HIGHLY recommend the guide to hallucinogenic mushrooms of the pacific northwest (its prob. on the internet, I bought it at

borders bookstore, but at borders in USA shit really kicked the fan i think they went bankrupt! but the guide is prob. available on the internet.)

peace,

Jamison

I am looking for books too, always looking, as reading from the pc shits me after a while, plus I cant read about my new found interest at work online either.

Saw this while looking up some of the other books mentioned above, curious as now, will see how we go payday after buying a scope and such things.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books/esp_experiments_lsd.shtml

ESP Experiments with LSD 25 and Psilocybin

A Methodological Approach

Discusses the use of psychedelic drugs and their ramifications for exploration of the mind, with emphasis on the connection of ESP to psychedelics and our transpersonal nature...

I highly recommend Fuhrer, if not just for the beautiful pictures.

I find the best approach is to own every field guide you can. None of them are close to comprehensive so the best strategy is to get as many as possible and cross reference.

Other authors in my library include I.R. McCann, Tony Young and Fungimap.

It's not a bad idea getting a field guide to Europe or North America. Their references are in general much more complete, easier to use and better to learn the basics from. Add to that many species (and a great many genera) have cosmopolitan ranges which makes o/s field guides another useful book to have lying around.

Edit: As far as O/S guides go, this is one of, if not the best: http://booko.com.au/products/9780898151695

'Mushrooms Demystified' by D. Arora.

Taxonomy is a bit out of date now, but still a very good book.

Edited by MORG

I entirely agree with MORG.

(and it's timely you mention Bruce Fuhrer as I had the good fortune of going out and photographing fungi with him on the weekend <-- SMASH - blatant name drop)

Arora's book is still one of the most thorough and very well priced for what it is.

Other great books are this series, but at $200 odd per volume it's a lot to splash out. They aren't ultra thick but they are incredible references http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=fungi+of+switzerland&x=0&y=0

Fungimap I can take or leave...I don't think it's that fantastic.

What areas of mycology are you into? If you are into more than just phenotypic IDs I can suggest some books you might be keen on.