The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Solandra maxima

A lot of my research recently has been focused on Datura and co, and I read recently that the Huichol speak of a mythic battle between the hero Kauyumarie, who is represented by both deer and peyote, and Kieri-xra, the False or Crazy Kieri. The god Kieri has two aspects: the Good Kieri is represented by the Solandra species and the Crazy Kieri is represented by Datura inoxia.

Not too much info on the stuff (Solandra sp.), apparently contains tropane alkaloids but not sure which ones.

I think planthelper may have told me once about this plant, but then again it may have well been a different one.

If you know where this plant can be had (apparently used as a landscaping climber due to amazing flowers) please let me know!

As usual, if you have any more info, post away

the big hotel in terrigal has the golden cup vine growing in the guest garden...

if you visit terrigal, pop in at the fragrant garden in erina aswell, they got lots of brugs.

i found now aswell a hotel garden in rocky got the solandra nitida, must have been the same landscaping company, lol.

Ah you did tell me about it! :D

We drove up there that night you told me about it mate, looking for the brug you said was around and went looking at the hotels for the vine, but didn't see it (the vine...we definitely found the brugs ) :(

Ah good memories

we've got a few Solandra maxima in the nursery which I'll put in the shop shortly. Also trying to produce some seed this year.

Thanks T :)

http://www.antro.uu.se/acta/sample_kieri.html

My prowling led to the above link. It is an amazing (but long) insight into the whole Kieri deal, various novel methods of Datura ingestion and also some beautifully visual bits on Huichol culture.

If you are into the Huichol thing at all, I recommend you read it!

Might be good info to put into the webstore T

Buh.

A few days ago while driving back from a pub lunch I felt the urge to look out the window, and as I did I saw a huge Solandra (maxima? dunno any other species) and quietly filed that info away.

Last night went back there and took a few flowers and some branches.

I trimmed the branches, and stuck them in moist soil just as I would with Brugmansia cuttings. Is this adequate? Or will they require more than that (e.g. rooting hormone).

Egads the flowers smell amazing.

this plant is quite an easy cutting (a little bit harder than brugs), just try different woods as you will end up using anyway if you took some branches off.

i love this plant as it can easely be trained into a "roof" providing shade, it's a heavy feeder though and loves moisture, if it's not well pampered they hardly seem to grow at all.

I have very fond memories of this plant...as kids, my brother and I knew it as the 'water bomb vine'...unopened flowers can hold a fair bit of H2O.