The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Scientician

Live plant import

I'm quite sure I'm just gonna be told NO! But..... is there any possible way I could get these into Aus without confiscation?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nutmeg-tree-Myristica-fragrans-1-Plant-/270818699756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e0d69ec

Side note:

Quarantine even took some Citrus Aurantium seeds off me. Fuckers.

They will let you have it if you jump through all the hoops & cough up the $'s

Might be a very pricey tree by the time you pay for an import permit, inspection, fumigation, 3 months in a registered quarantine facility & then another inspection

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8473251&intCommodityId=24891&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

There was a nursery on the side of the rd just outside Tully that had them in the early 90's, id be surprised if there weren't a few about.

My advice: either get the permit or don't risk it. I sent back plants without a permit and they were found. It's not like seeds, where they give you a tap on the wrist. Trust me, if you do it and they get found, you will regret your decision sorely.

Don't do it, Customs are Nazi's, but mostly for good reason. I know how frustrating it can be when you see exactly what you want, offshore & just out of reach, but live plants really aren't worth it.

Maybe try getting seeds or keep looking around within AU, something will turn up eventually :)

I wasn't going to try & sneak them in. I wanted to know if a legitimate option was available. Would love to hear from anyone who has used an import permit successfully for live plants. If I can pull it off without them dying in the process I might very well be up for the one time permit fee. They'll pay for themselves with propagation material over time so I would consider it more of an investment rather than an expense.

Well, you know how much I want a few nutmeg plants. If you look into permit fees, let me know how much they are and I might be able to help out. Apparently they are completely prohibitive. Then even if you manage to afford what they ask, they have to survive and pass the quarantine process.

Keep in mind nutmeg are dioecious, so you'd want at least a few to ensure you have both male and female plants.

It does seem like a big pain in the arse hey. My local plant guru seems to think the best way to go would be to graft some of the female we have here in the Flecker Botanical gardens below the soil line of an insipida rootstock with the intention of helping it set roots. Then cross breed with a male insipida. Then selectively breed out the insipida traits. Either way A fuck around. Will look into it. I have a strong feeling I might not see this through..... at least not this year. Will do some research & put some thought into it.

Would still like to know if anyone here has successfully been through this process.

Cheers

Edited by muskrat

It does. I've just about given up on it. Fresh seeds would be the best way to go, but with a viability of around 15 days, it's difficult to get them. I sent some back from India to a friend, but they didn't germinate. Tried getting some from a member earlier this year too, but they went mouldy in transit and by the time AQIS were done assessing them, they had to be destroyed. That was after spending $100 on the courier.

Crossbreeding and outbreeding would take a long time. Nutmeg takes around seven years before it first sets fruit. Not sure about M. insipida or M. globosa.

Just found out that the Cooktown botanical gardens grow Myristica Fragrans. A female in Cairns an unknown or multiple unknowns in Cooktown. I might have something to work with here.

Watch This Space>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well this turned out to be completely bogus. The Cooktown Botanical Gardens do not actually have any Myristica Fragrans trees. They actually seemed surprised that it was listed on their website as being grown on the grounds & will be removing the listing.

So back to the drawing board.

The quest continues! (unfortunately)