The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marcel

Kayak camping recommendations

Hey folks.

I thought I'd pick your brains... I'm planning on taking my eldest son on a kayak and camp trip these coming school holidays. Some easy going kayaking in a double kayak (which I'd have to hire) and then a camp out under the stars, talking about space and life and lego. :)

Anyone know somewhere within a few hours of Sydney that fits this bill? Preferably a bush camp, rather than a van park or something like that.

Cheers!

• Like 1

id recomend 2 single Kayaks over a double. Although i have no idea how old your son is :P

He's just turned 6 and has arms like a paper clip. It's double or nothing, I'm afraid. What's your experience foo? Are doubles no good?

Are you planning on hiring Kayaks from somewhere, then taking them camping?

If so, I'd recommend Bent's Basin. Though I'm not sure what your definition of a 'bush camp' might be. Bent's basin is a camping ground, and there are no caravans or cabins etc. Although I think they've installed amenities since the last time I went there. Where you camp is generally a nice big clearing, but the location is surrounded by bush. There are also some really nice bush walks around the basin, with caves and look outs. However I don't think you can hire any Kayaks or Canoes at there.

If you're mega keen to get amongst the great outdoors, you can canoed or kayak from Bents Basin to Penrith area over a weekend. I've done it before and it's quite nice. Definitely an awesome trip for some bonding and sleeping under the stars along side a river (not at a 'camping site' though). You would have to pack very light, with a 6 year old though, as last time I did it, we had to carry the Kayak over a few rocks. Actually, because of this it might not be suitable for the little guy.

If you're looking for a place that allows you to hire, and camp in the same area you could try the Royal National Park. I know there is a place there you can hire Kayaks and Canoes from, though I'm not sure what it's called or if there are camping areas near the river.

Hope you find what you're looking for Marcel, sounds like you're in for a nice trip with your son.

Gentlemans halt looks pretty good for what your doing.. on the hawkesbury south a little from wisemans ferry .. shouldn't be too hard to find in a kayak.. basic amenities free camping national park.

Don't go to Gentleman's Halt! Well, I'd recommend against it anyway. When I was working in bush regen, we had to do an overnight job there. I can tell you, it was a mosquito and lantana hell. Not a pleasant place to stay.

Royal NP has some nice kayaking and places to hire kayaks (as Justler suggested).

Otherwise, you can kayak around Crosslands and elsewhere along the Hawkesbury.

Never quite made it there .. got to about 1km away walking from canoelands and didn't see any weeds the whole way ,must take a dive at the end..

The pics online looked pretty nice?

When was this? We only worked around the campsite and a little down the road. Was heaps of lantana. Can't really remember anything but lantana, in the way of weeds. This was a few years back though. Maybe they've does an outstanding job on the weed removal front since I went out there. They were planning on restoring the old road that went out there if I recall correctly.

The elusive Mr Proust ! Well wishes and all that jazz.

My recommendation would be Kangaroo Valley, three hours from Sydney.

Starting from the Bendeela camping site, you can be met there by a kayak hire operator. He/she will set you up, give you some basic instruction, and you're off, leaving your vehicle there until the next day. You will head downstream towards Tallowa Dam.

Day one will have you paddling out of the farm properties that bank the river, and you will soon be in complete wilderness, with not a single sign of human life. There are sandy banks to stop and have a bite to eat, places to stop and explore (warning, there are no trails) and to eventually decide upon a place to pitch tent for the night. Keep an eye out for very occasional signs of extinguished campfires, and try to set up there.

Day two you will head off again on the wide, still river, and wildlife sightings become more abundant. I have spotted Roos, big reptiles, various birds and wombats - my best memory was standing off a mummy and baby wombat while stoned, stark naked and the only human for miles. The wombat lost interest LOL.

There are a couple of tributarys off the river that are interesting for unique tree growth (the sea of dead trees, lots of slow dodging in the kayak but complete satisfaction). Im sure you can also drop a line in the water to try and catch dinner, but suggest backup food . Think but what you need, because it will have to fit into a tiny sealed hull in the nose and rear of your vessel.

When you get to Tallawah Dam (Don't get too close in the kayak!), there's a small BBQ area where you can chill out, let you boy be in awe of the mighty power of Dam technology, and call the kayak operator who will pick you up and drive you back to your car, and either into the township for some grub, or back home.

Check out Kangaroo Valley Safari's (the hire mob) and speak to them for more info !

Wow. Those are great recommendations, people. Kangaroo Valley sounds perfect. I'll bring my banjo. Psylo, do you have to bring your own mountain-folk, or can you hire them there? It be a pity to not have a redneck treat me like a piggy in the bushes at gunpoint. Somehow, it wouldn't be the full kayak trip experience...