The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Benzito

Kratom - Reddening of leaves?

Wasabi knee-grows?

I once saw a Kratom tree that had it's larger leaves turn red, during winter. The newer leaves remained green, and it kept growing, and looked healthy, apart from the red leaves.

Well, at the start of spring, it was re-potted, and about two days later, it dropped half it's leaves.

All the green leaves just shrivelled up and died, in about one day.

Anyone got any idea what was going on with this plant?

I've read that leaf-drop is normally a sporadic occassion, in it's native habitat. But, it becomes a winter thing, in colder areas. Anyone got any more info?

kratom (like many tropical rainforest trees) will drop it's leaves as a result of not enough water reaching the leaves or due to temps dropping too low. At this time of year it could be either. Leaves often only drop after sustained cold or extreme cold.

The real hint here is the repotting though. This process always leaves the plant less able to draw water from the soil and hence would have upset the balance between roots and leaves.

Thanks Torsten. :)

Yeah, I figured a cold winter (around 0-2°C), followed by re-potting right at the end of winter was probably the culprit.

What about the reddening of the leaves?

That happened slowly over a month or two.

Has anyone seen what I'm describing. I'm only going off memory, for I haven't seen this plant since they became illegal.

[ 10. September 2005, 00:57: Message edited by: Benzito ]

When it was legal to have one, I saw that the 'protective sheath' around the new growth turned red and the plant did not grow at all in winter (small plant). No leaf drop though and all leaves remained green.

So this is a common winter type occurance then?

Well, in indonesia, they don't really have a winter.

Just a 'hot' season, and a 'wet' season, I believe. So, 'winter' so-to-speak can confuse the poor Mitragyna.

[ 10. September 2005, 05:07: Message edited by: Benzito ]

the red is normal for the cooler months. Potency goes up at that time too.

A tea of 6gm of these dried up leaves, drunk at the time I am describing, was found to be similar to taking a few codeine tablets in it's analgesia and relaxation.

So, I imagine leaves that were still fresh, and bright red, rather than shrivelled up and dead, would've been much more potent.

sorry guys maybe it doesnt fit to the subject but where can i get kratom seeds??? i really want those seeds... and i'll pay with love for gettin fresh seeds :)

I've heard that old kratom leaves are the most potent. It has something to do with a certain chem oxydizing into a more potent form. Kratom seeds are always over the next hill, never where you are. MJ Shroomer offered to swap me some that he had gotten from Tailand. I turned it down because they were old and later he said none of them were viable. Maybe someday my kratoms will flower. Probably about the same time I discover gold on my land.

Tomer D.:

sorry guys maybe it doesnt fit to the subject but where can i get kratom seeds??? i really want those seeds... and i'll pay with love for gettin fresh seeds :)

For interests sake

when does kratty seed?

that is when is a good time of year to take a holiday in Northeast thailand