The Corroboree
tipz

overseas cacti seed importation

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, but here goes

Some time ago i ordered a reasonable amount of seeds from a reputable german cacti seed vendor.

I just recieved a confirmation following enquiry that the seeds were sent on the 10th of august. I was given a tracking number that does not seem to work when i put the # in the australian post tracking requests ? :scratchhead:

So its been a week and im starting to bite my fingernails a little !

Can anyone else who has ordered seed from overseas tell me if they should have arrived by now ? im getting concerned customs/quarantine may be having a look at my parcel - the seeds were sent unlabelled i believe ?

Does it generally take longer than this for an overseas order ?

Any input would be very much appreciated - thanks, TIPZ

yeah mate - im in australia

In my experience, ive ordered bits and pieces (non plant matter) from all over the world and it has never taken less than 2 weeks for it to get to me.

Only ordered seed once. Took about 2 and a half months and customs had taken a look at it but let it through leving me a note telling me why the package looked like hell :)

you should be fine mate, is the box not labelled? or did you mean the seed packet? ive heard of delays in customs due to seeds not being labeled species and genus. but its not illegal to grow cacti is it? should get them eventually :)

Few years back i ordered some stuff from UK, took 6 weeks i had just assumed it wasnt coming haha

I would say it would take a fair while longer than a week to arrive. As it was not a live plant the seller probably just sent it by the cheapest/slowest postage possible. I've ordered uber-cheap electronic etc from overseas through ebay for example, and it is usually about 3-4 weeks until it arrives.

As for the tracking number, it would probably be for German-post or whatever their postal service or courier is called, so you might need to enter the number into their tracking service to see where it's at. Rather than Australia post.

this is what she sent me in regards to the order :

I will remove the labels and write only articlenumber on the bag.

So am unsure as to how it will be sent but the above replies are re-assuring ! Its just a few cacti seed anyway ! Ill just hold tight and cross my fingers !

que sera sera ;)

Should be fine, tipz. But i´d be careful in case you ordered a species thats illegal to import. Customs/Quarantine can google Article Numbers too. And they Do! :wink: They can be found all over the net. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Being botanically labelled is a basic import condition so If they are not botanically labelled they can & often do give you the option of them either send them back at your expense or have them destroyed.

If they have to chase down names etc they can bill you for their time.

And EG is dead right, if they think something is sus they can use google just like anyone else.

Having said all that i've had seed take 14 weeks to turn up, cleverly concealed in a large shoe box with 5cm lettering in red texta saying "Contains Palm Tree Seeds" & it still didn’t get opened, just the luck of the draw i guess.

all seeds arrived today via registered post.

Very happy with the service, and will definately be doing future business with them :excl:

nope - untouched !

( edit just to say the imported seeds were fully legal anyway, so that was not an issue, just concerned about quarantine and any associated complications that may have cost extra or delayed delivery :unsure: )

all good :D

Edited by tipz