The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cactusfriend

Getting a cactus to flower

You might specify what cactus, the conditions vary quite a bit.

For example people say lophs just need water, ferts, light, and warmth and they flower all year.. I have a Mammallaria that acts that way; Echinocereus spp. are said to need winters followed by a spring & summer with good UV light exposure (ie outdoors); Pediocactus and similar need to freeze solid first; and no one seems to know whats needed to make trichs flower :lol: tho some guess no root disturbance and always having the same side facing north helps.

See, pretty diverse.

Trichs seem to have some chilling requirements, need to be established and mature (big) enough to flower and also seem to respond to daylength and the lunar cycle.

Often when a plant is starting to mature the newer growth has a distinct character to it in comparison to the older growth. It is as if there are phases of growth, one being juvenile and the other being adult so to speak. This is common both in cacti in general as well as for the BTC clade members.

Typically flowering areoles grow in the long night season when temps tend to be colder and growth tends to be slower, often this corresponds to a rainy season. Colder winter seasons and cooler climates seem to elicit better flowering, however the strategy of promoting full dormancy in the winter with cold dark conditions seems to inhibit flowering, so flowering does seem to have a light requirement.

Edited by Archaea

Im wanting to get my lumberjackus and red hylocereus to flower so that I can try to cross them. Not sure if it will work but lumberjackus x hawaiian hylocereus might be the beginning of Trichs with big tasty fruit :drool2:

Edited by cactusfriend

Im wanting to get my lumberjackus and red hylocereus to flower so that I can try to cross them. Not sure if it will work but lumberjackus x hawaiian hylocereus might be the beginning of Trichs with big tasty fruit :drool2:

I know the question would have been asked already but has anyone had much success getting "Eileen" to flower?

You might specify what cactus, the conditions vary quite a bit.

For example people say lophs just need water, ferts, light, and warmth and they flower all year.. I have a Mammallaria that acts that way; Echinocereus spp. are said to need winters followed by a spring & summer with good UV light exposure (ie outdoors); Pediocactus and similar need to freeze solid first; and no one seems to know whats needed to make trichs flower :lol: tho some guess no root disturbance and always having the same side facing north helps.

See, pretty diverse.

Hi Auxin. I think you are right about lophs and trichs; I have little experience with others. I live in the tropics at lat26 and previously in Darwin[lat14], and have never seen a trich flower despite having some large specimens. I used to think it it was because I was forced to grow in pots isolated from the ground due to termites which attack live plants.They seem to love the woody core of trichs, and serious damage can be done before one realises something is wrong. I have since relocated and still growing in pots because a different termite here also attacks some plants [e.g hemp]that has light white wood inside. They really seem to be attracted to some species and ignore others. I really hate the little bastards. regards, Tom.

Hi Auxin. I think you are right about lophs and trichs; I have little experience with others. I live in the tropics at lat26 and previously in Darwin[lat14], and have never seen a trich flower despite having some large specimens. I used to think it it was because I was forced to grow in pots isolated from the ground due to termites which attack live plants.They seem to love the woody core of trichs, and serious damage can be done before one realises something is wrong. I have since relocated and still growing in pots because a different termite here also attacks some plants [e.g hemp]that has light white wood inside. They really seem to be attracted to some species and ignore others. I really hate the little bastards. regards, Tom.

How do trichs like tropical climates? or do they prefer to have a winter?

in the last few days I had most of my lophophora wake up and flower for the first time since winter started. there was also lots of fruits pop from the flowers before winter :)

How do trichs like tropical climates? or do they prefer to have a winter?

They grow REALLY fast in the tropics but very prone to rot in the wet season. I have had to resort to a sistemic fungicide at times. Once I built a shelter with a plastic roof that was really good -the stuff was called "Sarlon Solargrow", and it also reduced sunburn. Reccomended.

i had the same ting WT. 95% of my lophs have popped up red berries from the pre-winter flowers. my grafts are flowering, however the ones on their own roots aernt, possibly as im yet to begin their watering regime, i kept those ones undercover this winter.