The Corroboree
Tomer Corymbosa

Is It Real M.hostilis??

Sorry for the delay.

I am posting from a wireless net connection in Luna Park, I just demo'd by software to the head of the CSIRO ICT Centre! :o

He reckons it's fuckin awesome.

:D

So yeah last night I was really busy coding, and completely forgot about taking a photo.

Hopefully tonight.

i rubbed the tiny hairs on the stem of one of my older ones and there was a faint smell of curry leaf i think.

When people say their plants are sensitive, do you mean sensitive to light touch or rough handling? Pudica is the only one I know of that looks like hostilis and folds up to a light touch. I have some hostilis plants I grew from seeds I got from Brazil. The leaves will fold up with rough handling. I have a pudica and the difference is easy to see. My hostilis' have the rose type thorns and are more upright than my pudica. I think hostilis outgrows the sensitivity but I'm not sure.

Here they are. Again I apologise for the poor nature of these shots, my camera sucks.

Whole plant (leaves are a darker green than came out in the photo, all growth is suprisingly very healthy):

My attempt to get a shot of the spines without macro support :(:

A shot of one of the branches where all the leaf thingies are untouched except for the bottom rightmost:

Then I ran my finger lightly over the bottom left and middle and the top right (as is pretty clear to see):

looks like mine:) people dont seem to keen on them though as ive only sold maybe 10. do people want them?

hmmmm, I am not convinced.

looks like mine:) people dont seem to keen on them though as ive only sold maybe 10. do people want them?

Just waiting on the id teo :). Found this old illustration using image-search on yahoo:

http://catbull.com/alamut/Lexikon/Pflanzen...%20hostilis.jpg

Going by this, the end of the branchlet (??? spelling ??? I'm still trying to get a handle on binomial nomenclature :blush:), with the 2 top leaflets in a 'v' shape rather than rounded. I'm keeping into consideration the fact that the original subject of the drawing could well have been dried and had a bumpy journey to boot. There was also this one:

http://www.catbull.com/alamut/bilder.net/P...20hostilis1.jpg

, with similar visual properties. The other thing that caught my eye was the thorns in both pics. They are pointing up in both pics, and the colour one shows them to be quite rosethorn-like. Anyway, that's just what I see, I'm as far from professional as Alice Springs is from the sea :D. Hope this helps,

DQD

I'm guessing flowers are the only way to be sure T?

How long do you think until that one flowers?

hey DQD i think what im hearing you say is the leaflets are supposed to be parrapinnate (even pinnate) as aposed to imparapinnate. mine are imparrapinate and i reckon they look like mine.

pudica and some others will flower in under 12 months. if it doesn't flower this summer then that's a good sign ;)

Well then it looks like this mystery is hardly solved and my impatience I imagine is not helping at all.

The plant will stay, until identity is verified, and I will make do without that pot!

DQD, indeed while all the spines in those botanical drawings face up, mine face down.

Well then it looks like this mystery is hardly solved and my impatience I imagine is not helping at all.

The plant will stay, until identity is verified, and I will make do without that pot!

DQD, indeed while all the spines in those botanical drawings face up, mine face down.

Time (and nature) will tell I guess, as I said, I'm hardly an expert :blush:. It'll pan out in the long run mate, and at least we'll suck a bit more oxygen while they're alive hey? Have a cool one,

DQD

That's true about pudica flowering fast. My hostilis's have not flowered yet and several of them are over a year old. Don't overlook the shape of the plant. Pudica likes to grow low and shrubby while hostilis grows upright.

This is what my hostilis looks like. It seems redder in the stem than the plant in question above, but it is also older.

post-873-1131560346_thumb.jpg

I think what Pisgah has there is the real deal! I think that it is from a batch of seeds I sent him.

Is this being verified with C. Raetsch, Torsten ?

I am still collecting more info (and waiting for pics of my own plants) before approaching Christian with this. He's web-shy, so it's matter of actually printing it all out and mailing it to him ;)

Don't expect any confirmation too soon.

cool, awesome, great!

The seed that grew the above plant came from EG about a year and a half ago, I think. Maybe longer.

One thing that I have noticed about this plant, as have others who grow hostilis, is that it seems quite pendulous. The growing tip almost touches the ground it droops so much. I eventually decided to stake them up in order to fit them all in to my greenhouse.

An observation for cold climate growers: I have some errant mimosa seedlings that are chilling in some outdoor planters I have. We have had a number of frosts so far, and the tiny seedlings show no signs of yellowing, leaf dropping, or any other stress. These could be pretty cold hardy. :)

I have some errant mimosa seedlings that are chilling in some outdoor planters I have. We have had a number of frosts so far, and the tiny seedlings show no signs of yellowing, leaf dropping, or any other stress. These could be pretty cold hardy. :)

I'd like to know exactly how much cold those babies take before major stress indications. Please keep us posted. Also, how are your Obtusifolia plants doing?...Mars

I'll keep it posted. It's going to be cold tonight, windy and below freezing. This should be interesting...

BTW, I love my obtusifiolia. :)

In re to the pendulous observation on m.h., I haven't seen that myself. My pudica grows low to the ground though has some upright branches. Another mimosa species tends to hang down it's branches but not the hostilis. But, that could depend on growing conditions.

The pendulous thing is interesting. All of my plants are fairly young, and the growth habit I refer to reminds me of seedlings of Albizzia silk trees. It seems that there is a drooping growth tip, but trunk growth is vertical. The mature trees maintain the drooping habit in the canopy, but are far from pendulous in overall plant shape.

BTW, 28 F and the seedling lives!

I have thought about this a bit and here are the only conclusions that seem to make sense:

#1 The Mimosa Hostilis rootbark typically extracted IS the real thing, however most commercially available seeds, for some bizzare reason, are not, and will NOT grow to yield full strength rootbark. -OR-

#2 It's ALL Mimosa Hostilis, regardless of the color of the flower, and commercially available seeds WILL grow to yield full strength rootbark. -OR-

#3 BOTH the Mimosa Hostilis rootbark typically extracted and commercially available seeds aren't really Mimosa Hostilis, but some other sub-species with virtually the same percentage of DMT. So the commercially available seeds WILL grow to yield full strength rootbark.

I can't see any alternative to one of these being the answer. Has anyone actually harvested any rootbark from these seeds that don't have white flowers and tried it to see if it is still full strength rootbark?

#1 The Mimosa Hostilis rootbark typically extracted IS the real thing, however most commercially available seeds, for some bizzare reason, are not, and will NOT grow to yield full strength rootbark.

I have seen pics of one major farm and a small farm and in both the plants had pink flowers. I obtained seeds from both. These plants are not MHRB, but they are also not M.pudica.

#2 It's ALL Mimosa Hostilis, regardless of the color of the flower, and commercially available seeds WILL grow to yield full strength rootbark.

Mimosa hostilis does not have pink flowers, so the flower colour cannot simply be disregarded.

#3 BOTH the Mimosa Hostilis rootbark typically extracted and commercially available seeds aren't really Mimosa Hostilis, but some other sub-species with virtually the same percentage of DMT. So the commercially available seeds WILL grow to yield full strength rootbark.

This would not be a subspecies, but an entirely different species. Yes, it may well have high DMT levels, but it also may have no known traditional use which makes it totally unpredictable in terms of long term safety. There are other species that contain high DMT levels and some have even been analysed.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of experienced people are complaining that the new rootbark delivers large amounts of alkaloids, but little dmt. Two wholesalers have noticed this with batches that entered the market in the last 6 months.

I can't see any alternative to one of these being the answer. Has anyone actually harvested any rootbark from these seeds that don't have white flowers and tried it to see if it is still full strength rootbark?

It takes 3 years to grow to a size where alkaloid accumulate. Comparisons below this age are pointless. By that time the corrupt suppliers have made their money - as usual.