The Corroboree
Philocacti

Flower emerging before the pup

This lopho graft was "pregnant" with this pup since the beginning of spring, but the pup never broke the skin.

A few days back the skin of the lump started tearing and i was expecting a pup; however, today i found this flower bud poking out :blink::wacko:

P1040368.jpg

P1040367.jpg

today

P1040389.jpg

P1040386.jpg

P1040388.jpg

steroid use does that kind of thing!

I don't have an explaination for the quandry, however I will say thathat is extremely odd. MS smith or PD will be able to clarify better I assume.

No explanation here, that's just some weird shit.

~Michael~

That is one plant desperate to set seed!

That is one plant desperate to set seed!

hahahahaha, that's hilarious

ok the flower opened, i tried to take pictures and see what;s beneath the skin but i couldnt get anything

P1040399.jpg

P1040401.jpg

reminds me of total recall

wow, thanks for sharing... unreal cactus there!

are you using any pgr's in your fertilising ? something like auxins ?

are you using any pgr's in your fertilising ? something like auxins ?

i'm just using a fertilizer called "Super Grow" and i just started using it starting from April.

look into the ingredients if you ever plan on consumption philo - plant growth regulators are used in the commercial mj hydro scene. The types used have been banned due to the high toxicity and carcinogenic properties. things like cyco flower ( this one has changed ingredients to please the health authorities and now contains paclobutrazol )or you may have heard of super-bud but its used to regulate the growth cycle (obviously ) -

I have heard that 80% of stuff grown here in s.a contains this stuff - it causes the plant to not have a growth-spurt when the photo-period is reduced and for all the energy to be diverted into flowering. It causes super solid flowers with less smell and less trichome production ... and the odd mutation ! and i have heard that the people in the know that use this shit refuse to touch any themselves ! its all about weight = profit. pgr's

A lot of these pgr's are natural and there are many types with differing modes of action - I could be completely wrong but if ya going to cosnume your cacti its worth looking into.

Im sure theres a lotta crew here better informed and i may get correctedbut thats my two cents :D

thanks a lot tips, never thought of this before,

ok i'll translate what's on the packet:

"Super Grow is a foliar fertilizer that's either used by sprinkling on leaves or by dissolving in water; it helps in fast growth and improving the crop."

there's a list of elements with their percentages and then it says "extra additives"

the part that says helps in "faster growth" and "extra additives" is kind of shady, as im not sure if it just an advertising thing or it's the companies way to say they have other stuff that they wont list.

However, they say it's nontoxic to humans or animals, whatever that means?????

Extra additives sounds like they may well add plant hormones to it.

Extra additives sounds like they may well add plant hormones to it.

i really hope not, would you think that they would add hormones to a fertilizer without stating that on the package? if they would it would sound very unethical :scratchhead:

next flower and still the pup didn't pop out

P1040431.jpg

P1040432.jpg

i really hope not, would you think that they would add hormones to a fertilizer without stating that on the package? if they would it would sound very unethical

Yes. There's a plant growth enhancer called SUPERthrive. Have a look a the website. Gives no information about what is in it. Now, I admit, it's looks as dodgy as it gets and it is, nor does it claim to be a fertiliser, yet it does not advertise the fact it has an articial plant hormone added to it. One of my friends was raving on about how it make thing go nuts, growing huge roots and promoting overall growth. Looking at his bottle, I couldn't find anything about the ingredients, so did a quick search.

Wiki yielded this:

SUPERthrive is a WARF testing lab certified non-toxic liquid concentrated growth enhancer product for plants, which has been available since 1940. It contains ".09% vitamin B1, .048% 1-Napthyl acetic acid",[1].

The packaging says that it should be included in the normal fertilizing program to improve some 50 phases of horticulture. The packaging does not claim to have any N-P-K (macro-nutrient fertilizer) or trace minerals.

The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide.[./quote]

Point being, not all companies are ethical, nor transparent.

• Like 1