The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J Smith

Kiwis On oz tv

Does anyone have any idea why Australian infomercials suddenly are full of kiwis? That "simple" ladder dude, the ah bra and I just saw one for non stick cookware. Why do all of these ads have a kiwi VoiceOver?

dont know, maybe somehow the kiwi accent sells better than an aussie accent is the most obvious answer, a bit like the cockney (i think its cockney) english accent that is famous for the dodgy second hand car salesman. you know that accent from ''lock stock and two smoking barrells" movie................i certainly always feel more inclined to buy something from that kind of voice for some reason even though i know its a con job.

:/ sounds like a case of voiceism to me :P

It's because it grabs your attention.

These days, if we have an infomercial on the TV, it's not because we're actually watching TV. Almost all the time we're watching a show and an ad comes on, or it's late at night and we have the TV on in the background. The infomercial needs to grab our attention.

Our attention is drawn to things that don't fit the environment. If you walk into your kitchen and there's a snake on the bench, you'll see it straight away. But if you walk in and there's a toaster on the bench you won't even notice it.

So it's the same with auditory attention. In Australia we're used to Australian, American and English accents on TV, but not Kiwi.

Shithouse informercial people know this, so they take advantage of it.

YOU GOT A DOOR, YOU GOT A GYM.

That Noo Joisy accent grabs my attention every time. Goes around in my head like a song that gives you the shits. Mission accomplished as far as advertising goes.

a bit like those horrible coles ads, the latest one makes me spew.......................''down down prices are down'' was bad enough now the remix to ''down town'' is even worse, yet somehow i keep singing it in the back of my head and i just got back from an involuntary visit to coles, i call it involuntary cos i didnt want to go but SOMETHING MADE ME arrrrhhhhh........mission acomplished coles boooooo.

yeah i dont watch tv..

i have zero tolerance for ads.

Good point undergrounder, just seems to have occurred in the last 6 months or so. Maybe they sell the same shit in nz and they just use the same ad cause kiwis are cheaper due to the strong dollar. Anyone in nz notice a decrease in the number of Ozzie voiced ads bros?

YOU GOT A DOOR, YOU GOT A GYM.

That Noo Joisy accent grabs my attention every time. Goes around in my head like a song that gives you the shits. Mission accomplished as far as advertising goes.

kind of like the rug ads where the guy is practically abusing the crap out of you, or any ad where they are yelling in a yobboish accent. Gets your attention AND you talk to your friends about how annoying it is. Even though you hate it eventually someone you tell may be interested in buying a product like the one they make and they will look it up.

Advertising is all about getting people talking, regardless of the reason. Whaddya know we are here doing it now ! As stated above kiwi accents don't blend with what we are accustomed to hearing and as such we pay attention. Also the same with the ads being a few DB higher in volume than the show, you hear it even more prominently. People spend years at uni learning how to force people to pay attention, or hear what the ads are saying subliminally, and it works a treat.

Yes it is annoying, but yes it is also good advertising on their part. The word of mouth they get from it means that at least 5 times as many people hear about it compared to those who actually hear it on the TV or radio.

"you can even use it as a bronzer!"

haha, yeah i just assumed i was cos they're selling all their 2-bit cheap crap over here :P