The Corroboree
Auxin

Even a Trich?

Question

Got this butch looking oddball that grew from a batch of bridgesii seed. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Its 20 cm tall now and as yet there are no V notches, the inter-areole areas have an angular boxy structure like the cactus god is in his cubist phase, reminiscent of a few Borzicactus I've seen, theres usually 4 dark spines per areole (sometimes 5) that bleach with age. Spine at 6-o-clock grows first, then a pair at 4 and 8 o-clock, then last one at 12-o-clock. Areoles are elevated, pointing somewhat skyward and they lack fuzz. The ribs have a wavy base. No clue on bitterness, lol

Any ideas?

post-146-0-38531800-1309660719_thumb.jpg

100_2384.JPG

100_2384.JPG

13 answers to this question

Looks like a bridgesii to me

I dunno :scratchhead: It does have a bit of a bridgesoid look to it and 6 months ago I just assumed it was the oddball of the group. But still theres no long main spine and the ribs are wavy.

Since when do bridgesii have a "long main spine"? I associate that more as a peruvianoid trait. Every bridgesii I've ever had just has spines all over the place, and they're ALL long, lol.

But yeah, it is very unusual. From the thumbnail, it looked like a regular bridge, similar to Ben IMO, but on enlarging the pic, the oddities became very apparent. It may turn out to be a normal bridge that has just grown oddly due to environmental factors, OR it could be a really unique one. Either way I think it's safe to say it's a bridgesii, but keep an eye on it and see what it does in the future.

Looks very interesting, Auxin. What kind of Bridgesii seed was that? Can you please post a pic of other seedlings that came from the same batch? bye Eg

looks bridgesii to me :)

I agree, it looks like a bridgesii, although the wavy ribs are very unique. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Since when do bridgesii have a "long main spine"?

Yeah I should have said 'long fucking spines' lol

Can you please post a pic of other seedlings that came from the same batch?

Sure, all floor sweepings I think.

post-146-0-48912600-1309724552_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-76182800-1309724575_thumb.jpg

The only plant I grew from that guys seed that was unequivocally a bridgesii was from the T. peruvianus packet :lol:

Compared to the topic starter plant it has V-notches and is lacking wavy ribs and the boxy look but beyond that they could be related. May be the topic starter is the bastard child of this critters mother and a cuzcoensis? :scratchhead:

post-146-0-99215600-1309724789_thumb.jpg

I'm getting pretty well sick of buying 'Trichocereus' seed, only once in my life did I ever get the right species. Sometimes what I got wasnt even in the right tribe! :BANGHEAD2:

It seems good seed can only be got in trade.

100_2394.JPG

100_2397.JPG

100_2400.JPG

100_2394.JPG

100_2397.JPG

100_2400.JPG

I reckon another season or two and some good conditions and you will be looking at a bridgie wondering what was so confusing about it lol. Wouldnt surprise me if it has that melty look when older, dropping ribs and stuff all over the place.

I have NEVER seen a Trichocereus with wavy ribs like that, EVER!

Looks identical to my young bridgesii's, even down to the lack of V notches. They will come with age, as per PD's suggestion.

*When I say identical I mean well within the bounds of genetic diversity I've seen in my brigesii seedlings

Right on :)

Guess I been driven to paranoia after lots of plants I spent years growing turned out to be Stetsonias and cuzcos, lol

But still theres no long main spine and the ribs are wavy.

I've seen these traits on seed grown bridgesii, including wavy ribs.

It does have some individual character to it though, pretty sweet.

I have a couple of seed grown bridgesis [seed source nomad botanicals usa 2008, the 2 left ones in the picture] ] which show this wavy rib trait. Moreover not all bridgesi's have long fucking spines. Or some might take longer to develop them.

P1060250.jpg