The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
platypii

Earache when swallowing

Hey there, whats a good remedy for earaches when swallowing? I am seeing my GP tomorrow, but am in a fair bit of discomfort, and i can't take painkillers. Any help appreciated. :)

Edited by platypii

Put heat on it mate. A heat pack or at least a washer steeped in hot water an rung out, hold it below your ear / along your outer jaw where it's sore. Might have to hold it there while you eat.

Okay platypii, lots of experience here. This is what you can do: 1. Antibiotics. Some work very well for the ear. If you have an ongoing infection, this should be done immedietly. 2. Pain Meds. Any type of pain med works but some work better than others. I use diclofenac when they pain is too bad. Best ones are the ones that can be used against rheumatic disorders imo. Its not only the fact that they take away the pain. They also reduce the infection. 3. Get yourself a salt water nosespray or a nosespray thats based on cortisone. Some are freely available. At least in germany. 4. Many ear infections start in the sideways of the nose. You can empty them if you touch the center of your gum with your tounge. Its hard to describe it english. Youd be best to google how to empty the pranasal sinuses with tounge movements. 5. Torsten once mentioned a way to me how to to desinfect the ears with a mixture of ethanol and very very low concentrated hydrogen peroxid i think. But im not sure anymore. It was so long ago. But be very careful with the hydrogen peroxid. When i started to use it, i had problems getting the concentration right and in a highly concentrated forum that stuff probably has the potential to make you as deaf as a door knob. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

hey mate, i get it quite badly when getting flues colds etc, last time i went deaf in my right ear for 24 hours, not totally deaf but it scared the hell outta me...but it was just temporary.

the best thing i have ever found besides headache tablets is the hottest water you can handle in your mouth which has been mixed with as much table salt as you can dissolve in the glass, heaps of salt......get it in there and gargle like your life depends on it, repeat repeat repeat, sounds like one of those old time modern day useless old wives tales but it sorts out the infection of the ear, nose, throat which i think leads somewhere to the ear cavities pretty damn well and fast.

Abandoned

Edited by dworx

I got that as a kid too dworx, but I thought it was for unclogging waxy ears

Thaks for the help people :). I ended up just taking some paracetemol which settled it down. I have a wisdom tooth ripping its way out of my gum just below the sore ear, which I think has something to do with it (well, the 3 other wisdom teeth caused simlar sensations prior to being removed...)

Peace :)

Abandoned

Edited by dworx