The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Discoloured B. caapi growth

Hi there,

My caapi has put out new shoots at all of its nodes, but the growth seems to be pretty much lacking in chlorophyll or something. You can see your finger through the leaf if you hold it.

000_0406.JPG

000_0405.JPG

As I'm totally inexperienced growing this plant, is this how new growth always looks? It seems to still be growing, just not green.

Or is this a stress indicator, and if so, what sort of stress should I be looking for.

i have seen this before, but don't know what it is exactly. i guess you added lime to the pottingmix and now the iron is unavailable to this acid condition liking plant.

even if you haven't added lime this could happen as some pottinmixes are too alkaline!

maybe add some sulphur.

I have the same thing happening on my plant, I assumed it was due to the cold weather as it was fine befor winter. My plant is outside in a protected position, and recieves little attention.

Thanks for the tips so far.

planthelper, I haven't added anything to the soil its just some potting mix and peat.

I'll try and find the pH of the soil, and adjust. What is the optimal pH for B. caapi..

im not sure if its what i get but im sure its normal before the leaves mature. also caapi seems to send out dud shoots which wrap around things then dry out acting like a tendrill.

mine did this as well when i first got a plant....i put it down to being an outdoor grown cutting put into a hothouse where the u.v light isnt quite as strong..the leaves got darker and darker with each set that came out...

nothing to worry about here.

Then all is well in my garden, and life is good.

Thankyou all for the replies.