The Corroboree
fydesvindico

Independent Sovereign State within Australia

Anyone else stumbled upon this before?? looks pretty interesting...

The Principality of Hutt River (PHR) is an Independent Sovereign State having seceded from Australia on the Twenty First Day of April 1970 and is comparable in size to Hong Kong, though the Principality is larger than many countries such as Andorra, Lichtenstein, Monaco, and Nauru to name a few.

The Principality of Hutt River is situated within Western Australia and is about 75 square km in size, consisting of approx 18,500 acres of mainly flat or undulating farmland, well covered in places with a wealth of shrubs and beautiful wildflowers. The economy is based upon agriculture, which includes the export of wildflowers as well as tourism.

PHR%20Seal%20145x135.gif

The Principality is a constitutional, hereditary and democratic monarchy, with HRH Prince Leonard as the Sovereign and Head Of State and a Government is exercised, under the Sovereignty of the Prince, by a Minister of State, HRH Crown Prince Prince Ian, assisted by a Government consisting of as many Ministers, Vice Ministers and State Secretaries as necessary to lead the Country.

Whilst the existence of PHR as a Sovereign State was initially contested, for many years now it has been accepted and left in peace. With the same Head of State for 40+ years, the Principality is proud to have such leadership and therefore the Principality must be regarded as a very stable country.

Prince Leonard is a keen supporter of both the Arts and Conservation and has named parts of the Principality with such names as Lake Beginning, Mount Secession, Lake Serenity and Wild Boar Gorge. The main townsite, Nain, has been developed with buildings to provide basic facilities for tourists who visit the Province in their thousands each year, and with modest Government and Reception buildings as well as basic support for campers, inc a small ablutions block, campers kitchen and a small caravan parking area with Power also available.

Facilities include an Administration Building containing the Government Office and Post Office, a swimming pool and Tea Rooms/Function Centre and a charming Inter-Denominational Chapel as well as a small arcade housing the Memorabilia Dept. and Historical Society displays. A new Reception Office is also in operation and recent extensions to the Tea Rooms/Function Centre have now enabled that to cater for double it's previous capacity and includes a beautiful and very comfortable outdoor undercover area.

A new camping and caravan park area was established in time for the 2010 40th anniversary celebration weekend and it has created the ability to cope with larger scale visits during special occasions without cramping and a lovely, relaxed area is now available for all to enjoy the peace and tranquillity offered by a stay in the Principality.

While the local resident population is small, a large number of Overseas Citizenships have been issued to people around the globe.

The Principality also enjoys a good, active and widespread diplomatic representation throughout most of the developed world.

source

Edited by fydesvindico

yeh ive seen it before. Briliant idea

Micronation

There's a great Lonely Planet book called "Micronations". Apparently Australia has more micronations within its borders than any other "macronation".

wow, cheers for the links guys! looks as though I have some reading to catch up on :-) ...never thought to check wiki, seems to be one of the last places I check for info these days. A bit of synchronicity for ya there occidentalis! awesome!

Prince Leonard pursued a number of occupations before purchasing a large wheat farm near Northampton, Western Australia and Geraldton, Western Australia in the 1960s. A former mathematician and physicist who worked for NASA in the 1950s, the prince has had a star named in his honour.[6]

Despite his advancing years the prince Leonard is known as a keen-minded "bush lawyer". He is also an adherent of hermeticism, a subject on which he has privately published a number of research papers and books.[7]

maybe I will pay Prince Leonard a visit next time I am in WA... sounds like an interesting fellow :)

edit: make that next time I am in the Principality of Hutt River

Edited by kalika

I'll definitely be stopping by on my next northern trip. Can't believe I haven't been there yet. Don't forget to bring your passport ;).

How I want to start a micronation. All drugs would be legal, environmental issues and ethics would be high priority, etc., etc. Ahhh, it would be great.

There's a screening on how to start your own micronation at the Sydney Film Festival tomorrow...haven't booked to go see it though.

I'd seriously like to start a micronation too. If only I had a piece of land that would expedite such a move! :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to whether there are any other legal loopholes that might facilitate such a move - Prince Leonard was lucky that the Governor General inadvertently addressed him as the "Administrator of the Hutt River Province", which completely changed the relationship between him and the Government...

Edited by WoodDragon

Having any land would be great. Having enough land to seriosuly look into starting a micronation would be brilliant. I imagine that while some micronations would be acceptable, having one that had laws markedly differently to Australian law would present problems.

There are some micro nations that are not 1 block of land but 100's of small ones all over the globe.

There are some micro nations that are not 1 block of land but 100's of small ones all over the globe.

Wow, that's interesting. Any links to said micronations?

Heres some links I've managed to find over the last few days that are quite informing...

Micronational Professional Registry (MPR)

MICRONATIONS NEWS NETWORK

Kevin Baugh: How to Start Your Own Micronation

Creating a real micronation

... allot to take into consideration, and allot of reading to do. Oh how awesome it would be to start a micronation! I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find like minded people to become citizens of a micronation within community like this! newimprovedwinkonclear.gif

• Like 1

Have a gander at this.

We aren't technically part of the Commonwealth.

You all know about Muad'Dib yeah?..7/7 bombings?

Interesting anyway considering our law makers/enforcers abide by the Monarchy's B/S.