The Corroboree
dundee

Busted with $40,000 worth of Kava?

Pfffft. :/

This is a potentially significant amount of money coming out of the community and directly into the pockets of the criminals supplying this product," he said in a statement on Sunday.

This is exactly the problem people talked about that were against the banning of kava. They forced the trade outside of the local communities and now use it as a reason to further justify the banning :blink:

WTF!

My local pharmacy sells the tablets.

What devastating effect on the community?

This makes me so angry, that poor man with the 40kg.

Really that much? I should go for a drive & make some money then. Know for sure it's a lot cheapa here in nsw . Then again police and media say every weed plant is at least 2000 to 5000 worth.

pathetic media/government

So the only links I could find to 'devastating effects' and kava on google were links to the article talking about the poor chap picked up with his kava.

Oh, wait, onlinelawyersource.com says that Kava can have severe side effects including death.

The Kava Management Act 1998 prevents the use, possession and selling of kava without a permit.

I was unaware of this.

I thought anyone could bring 2kg into the country. Or is this a state law thing up north?

In March 1994, the Commonwealth Government introduced a law prohibiting the importation of kava into Australia for the purpose of selling it. This law changed in October 1997 so that people who wanted to bring kava into Australia were required to apply for an import permit from the Commonwealth Government. They also had to sign the National Code of Kava Management and abide by any laws in the Northern Territory.

In 1997, the NT Government conducted a Parliamentary Inquiry into Kava Management in the NT. Following this Inquiry the Government implemented an interim policy that no permits would be issued for selling kava in the NT. As of 21 May 1998, under the Kava Management Act 1998, the selling of kava without a licence has been illegal. This Act allows for communities to apply to the Liquor Commission to become licensed to sell and use kava. There must be demonstrated support for the community for the selling of kava in the community.

I found my own answer.

Seems maybe this chap wouldve been better off coming in to some other state rather than through the NT.

short mention about kava on T.V. abc1 7.30 tonight in the northern t.

one guy mentioned the $1000kg price

Didn't realise that Kava was such a big business up in N.T.:unsure:

Edited by dundee