The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

A Call Out For Music Collaborators

So there's a song that I composed in recent weeks. Took it to town, very in-your-face with 100 instruments or so, then stripped the end-result down in the hope of creating a new base in which to fairy-dance around. I deconstructed the tracks down to bass and drums, with some subtle piano overlays, and plan to rebuild with occasional trills & frills. There are big, big plans for what to overlay, but they're all in my head, and I just can't get inspired to take it to the next level right now.

This post then is an open call - does anyone want to mess with it, as a virtual world collaborator, to bring an idea to the fore, with your own signature overlay? It's one for the long attention span peeps, despite it being under a mere 4 minutes there are several 'movements' within the structure that I (as the creator of this aural filth) think are important changes.

It is more 'progressive ambient' than 'psychedelic'. Although it's not very 'progressive' either :) And surprisingly, absolutely nothing like anything I listen to. Weird.

Or, should I keep it all under my belt until i get some more inspiration to colour the track myself? Could be a while, because I will just as soon move on to the next project, and bury this one under the 'get back to it' file, with 30 other poorly-formed brothers and sisters.

It sucks to be the only kid in my town who wants to make experimental music. Boo hoo, does anyone have a very small violin?

^^^^ lets hear where its at. Up load to soundcloud, private if you must.

Yea id actually be keen to hear it myself. Is it a recorded mp3 track that i could then import into recording/composition software like cubase or ableton and mess with it?

I'm a novice at this stuff, so the way I have put it together is probably weird. Have condensed the bass track (well, Im calling it bass) into a .wav, same with the drums, and then the piano, plus a fourth track. All but the drums were created in a synth emulator, rendered as .wav files, then plonked into a DAW.

Will try and crunch it down to an MP3 and post it somewhere. Keep in mind that it's not a complete work, nor is it mixed down to my liking.

Watch this space :) And be gentle !

^^^ Let me help you get this into a format that we can collaborate on....

First - What soft ware are you using for sequencing and editing?

LOL, you may not want to after hearing it :) It's not really like the stuff other people are creating from this forum.

Tracks (exc. drums) created in Reason 4.0 (.rns file format), then rendered to .wav format

.wav files are dragged into Reaper 3.75 DAW

Drums originally created from a plugin driven through Reaper, but rendered to a .wav

All work has been saved to the best of my knowledge in their native formats.

A moment ago I converted the whole lot to a single mp3 for posting on soundcloud (just joined, cool free site!)

As for the intention of the composition, the parts may seem to have too many bars, but I'm allowing for some various 'lead' tracks to colour the experience. And the end is supposed to be a sharp percussive hit, which was ssadly cut off in the MP3 conversion.

So without further ado, I publish my first song on the internet for all to dissect. Unmixed, unfinished, a sketch if you will.......

The Rapture

^^^^ Hey nice work. I really digg it and I can see It going somewhere. If this is going to be a collab I suggest using Ableton as a format to share. I think Zen would add a nice touch to this as well, I can see his guitar fitting nicely somewhere there. Some parts of this are very Dr. Who.

I think first you need to render each channel individually save into a zip file and upload to send space? It can then be easy to import into other sequencers. Also try and save as many of your midi clips to the same folder. After we have this we can send the folder around and add more layers, eqing and such. You can also go back a step at any time that way.

~Boom

I think I have a legit copy of Abelton that came packaged with some equipment I bought a few years ago. Abelton Live I think it is called.

Is this a universal standard for file format transfers in digital collaboration ? Gotta say that Im not looking forward to trying to figure out yet another software program. I dont really get the stuff I am already a bit familiar with. Any other way around it / Maybe a series of .wavs that all share a zero-point to be aligned once the end user drops them into their DAW of choice ?

As for guitar in that track of mine- absolutely - but sadly my computer processing limitations have put a stop to doing so myself. I have a perfectly acceptable interface that takes XLR & TR inputs for mic and instrument feed, also an ability to control monitor audio output, but the latency kills it... beyond it even being worth a shot anymore.

Is this a universal standard for file format transfers in digital collaboration ? Gotta say that Im not looking forward to trying to figure out yet another software program. I dont really get the stuff I am already a bit familiar with. Any other way around it / Maybe a series of .wavs that all share a zero-point to be aligned once the end user drops them into their DAW of

There is no real standard. Most of the really good professionals can use a range of different programs and each one has its strengths and weaknesses. The trick is finding what program to do what part....

A series of Wavs with a zero reference will work perfect. As I said above, render them all down and save them to a zip file. Also include any midi clips you may have for the track and then upload to ....

sendspace.com

Post or PM the link.

~Boom

I really like that. Nice work.

Thanks man, I genuinely appreciate your kind feedback. Especially since that mix to mp3 is pretty poor quality

Still thinking about how to set every track to start at zero to u can upload them for Sly, Zen and anyone else. Will have it sorted by the weekend.