The Corroboree
random

Eucalypt brevifolia

Found an interesting reference to the tree Eucalypt brevifolia also known as white trunked eucalypt or tinyjil tree in the Walmajarri language.

Apparently it has a traditional use in healing burns or sores, the gum is collected, crushed and mixed with water to form a paste and then applied topically to the skin. Effects are said to be soothing and healing.

Just thought i'd mention it for those who are interested in medicinal uses of plants. :)

reference 'Out of the Desert' stories from the Walmajarri exodus. Published by Magabala books.

Thanks meeka.

Always interested in knowing more about native plants

so keep posting any info you find out.

I think natives are a definately under rated resource for medicinal potential.

On the topic of burns have you ever heard much about the traditional uses of Geebungs?(Persoonia sp) Apparently as a rumour has it,they also help soothe burns but I cant find any decent info. Someone who isnt that reliable mentioned they were being researched in India for that purpose.

& also native tea tree ( Leptospermia ?) especially the lemon scented one are also reportedly good for burns or cuts. Known as the bush band aid. The inner bark is used.

I know it works well on leach bites. If I put a bit of the inner bark over a bite I dont get the, for me, usual itching.

Sorry if that is a little bit off topic.

tea tree oil comes from a paperbark but there is a leptospermum "tea tree" also. would be handy to know which plant you mean.