The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

Natural Antihistamines - Help?

Suffering from severe skin itching this winter, and the trusted remedy isnt working. Am going insane, its so bad. Even where I havent scratched is growing in nasty, raised red blotches. Overheard a conversation the other day about taking allergy ie hayfever OTC meds with antihistamine properties but I really dont want to go down that path. So what antihistamine herbs do people know of ? Would prefer first or second hand experience rather than google results (which I have already done).

Tonight Im going to make an oatmeal wash in a stocking, treat with macadamia oil and have a couple of strong cups of chamomile tea.

firstly, I would use the hayfever meds, until ur skin feels better. I have used zyrted and clarytine for many diff allegy reactions. Also this ointment called Eurax for itches is awesome! However, for any skin irritation lately I have used lambs ear (Plantago lanceolata) simply rub and crush to release juice and apply to effected area.

Vitamin b5 is said to help reduce allergy 'symptoms' and it certainly seems to help me when i've taken it in the past.

Short of having some illegal tea as a remedy I can only suggest that if you have welts or hives, that you try and pinpoint the source of your allergy so that you can avoid it. Don't let yourself suffer though just take an antihistamine til it settles down if you have to. Untreated, hives can continue to worsten until you end up having to get a jab in your hip in severe cases and that's certainly not fun in my experience LOL

Chamomile is a natural anti-histamine. It's one of my favourite all round natural substances... Calms everyhting down..

Chamomile (Matricaria recutita, or German Chamomile) is a popular herb taken for a variety of health issues. Chamomille’s anti-histamine property comes from the compound quercetin. Chamomile can be taken as an herbal tea and has been reported to have antimicrobial and antioxidant properties as well. In addition, it also has anti-platelet activity, so care must be taken when someone is taking blood thinner

Thanks for the responses. After all the suggestions, it appears that a single treatment fixed the problem beyond my expectations. Taking a muslin bag I had sewn up for other purposes, I stuffed it with a couple of fistfuls of quick oats, made it nice and soggy and washed myself liberally with the pouch. Squeezing the oat 'milk' out of the pouch, and gently washing the areas affected, then drying off and dosing with macadamia oil. Its been days now, and there's no more itching !

There was three days of drinking three cups of strong chamomile tea as well.

Although I did have one, single anti-histamine pharm the next day after the oat-wash(that I cadged off a work colleague), so that could be it too.

I'm guessing it was the oats-wash though. Something for the other scratchers to try out if you so desire.

Plant pharmacological studies have suggested that Calendula extracts have anti-viral, anti-genotoxic and anti-inflammatory properties.[4] Calendula in suspension or in tincture is used topically to treat acne, reducing inflammation, controlling bleeding and soothing irritated tissue.[5][6] There is "limited evidence" that calendula cream or ointment is effective in treating radiation dermatitis.[7][8] In a randomized study of 254 radiation patients, topical application of 4% calendula ointment resulted in far fewer occurrences of Grade 2 or higher dermatitis than occurred in the group using trolamine. Calendula users also experienced less radiation-induced pain and fewer breaks in treatment.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula