The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rahli

Drug, fraud gangs costing Australia $15b a year

Organised crime is costing the Australian economy a staggering $15 billion a year, according to new figures released by the Australian Crime Commission.

The Commission's report has found that credit card fraud, identity theft and cyber crime are all on the rise.

But it is Australians' love of illicit drugs that is proving to be the most lucrative source of income for organised crime.

Illicit drugs are the most profitable form of organised crime, with cocaine, ecstasy, and ice, or crystal meth, among the most commonly traded chemicals.

Australia's illegal drug market is a multi-billion-dollar enterprise with a large number of syndicates.

"Australians are among the world's highest per capita consumers of illicit stimulants, and drug prices in Australia far exceed prices overseas, making domestic drug production and importation highly profitable," the report says.

Cocaine traffickers with links to South American crime groups are expected to maintain a competitive advantage in Australia.

"Mexican criminals have become more prevalent as principals in the importation and supply of cocaine and associated money laundering," the report says.

"There is concern that they may also import the violent practices which have been reported overseas."

Tax evasion, money laundering, fraud, identity crime and high-tech crime are also high on the list of crimes, with internet-based crime tipped to increase in the short to medium term.

Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor says organised crime now plays out on a worldwide stage.

"Because of technology, because of the evolving nature of our economy, crime has gone global, increasingly crime is transnational," he said.

"Criminals are no longer recognising boundaries of states, that's why law enforcement agencies have to work closer and closer together.

"We are seeing through intelligence and close co-operation successful outcomes in detecting, disrupting and apprehending criminals but we need to do more.

"This report is a reminder to the public that these are major challenges and people must make sure they secure themselves."

Link

i smell government propaganda,

drumming up support for recent proposed drug schedules?

"look see, organised crime, drugs, our new laws target this"

joe sixpack: "ok then"

`

Edited by Magicdirt

"Australians are among the world's highest per capita consumers of illicit stimulants, and drug prices in Australia far exceed prices overseas, making domestic drug production and importation highly profitable," the report says.

That may have something to do with the fact that we have one of the longest lists of stimulants labeled "illicit" perhaps?

And I think qualia has it. Oh noes too much drugs = too much crime! Please mister government, protect us from the mean drugs and awful people who distribute them, but allow big pharma companies their billions in profits!"

`

Edited by Magicdirt

That may have something to do with the fact that we have one of the longest lists of stimulants labeled "illicit" perhaps?

Bwahahaha! so true

"Mexican criminals have become more prevalent as principals in the importation and supply of cocaine and associated money laundering," the report says.

"There is concern that they may also import the violent practices which have been reported overseas."

Mexican criminals, they're the worst! Most criminals of other nationalities practice non violence to ensure a hold of the market.

"Because of technology, because of the evolving nature of our economy, crime has gone global, increasingly crime is transnational," he said.

"Criminals are no longer recognising boundaries of states"

...And don't get me started on them goddamn globalists!

regarding identity theft, i was going to start a new thread about this.

my moby and especially my landline get hammered by calls which i presume aim to garner personal information from me. they pretend to be my bank or mobile phone company usually, they have my name, obviously my phone number, and one knew who i banked with and the address i used for that bank. i am very very suspicious of phone calls so if my bank does call, instead of confirming my identity i tell them i will ring the call centre to be sure of who i am speaking with.

does anybody else get these calls? it makes me feel that i need to take steps to protect my information and existing accounts, for all i know somebody is building towards faking my identity and they're already half way there.

however, my current plan is to act a little less suspicious to get more of an idea where they're going, but it's hard because they start fishing for info right away "you are using your mobile, right?", they hang up when i won't play ball. maybe i will answer their questions incorrectly next time.

Misinformation is a good idea. Try to be consistent, it might be a good idea to write down a full set of false information that you can rely on in the cases of these calls. If you are all over the place they won't get anywhere anyway, but I'd rather make them try to take my ID and fail horribly than have them conclude that you're a waste of time.

I wonder if you could get their number traced or somesuch? Would probably just lead to unregistered mobile SIMs though...

I don't get any such calls though. Good luck dealing with these thieves...

regarding identity theft, i was going to start a new thread about this.

my moby and especially my landline get hammered by calls which i presume aim to garner personal information from me. they pretend to be my bank or mobile phone company usually, they have my name, obviously my phone number, and one knew who i banked with and the address i used for that bank. i am very very suspicious of phone calls so if my bank does call, instead of confirming my identity i tell them i will ring the call centre to be sure of who i am speaking with.

does anybody else get these calls? it makes me feel that i need to take steps to protect my information and existing accounts, for all i know somebody is building towards faking my identity and they're already half way there.

however, my current plan is to act a little less suspicious to get more of an idea where they're going, but it's hard because they start fishing for info right away "you are using your mobile, right?", they hang up when i won't play ball. maybe i will answer their questions incorrectly next time.

Remember as soon as you admit your name you are agreeing to their contract. It's a classic ploy by debt collectors, that's why you should nEVER EVER EVER admit your name over the telephone to a stranger.

"This report is a reminder to the public that these are major challenges and people must make sure they secure themselves."

guess I should buy a safe then :o

They will have more than they can handle (like they haven't already) chasing drugs if they keep adding to the list of banned substances.

On top of the illegal drugs, counterfeited prescription drugs are now becoming big business.
When crime syndicates traffic illegal drugs there is a high risk associated with the business, but with counterfeit prescription drugs the penalties if they are busted are almost non existent.
With some prescription drugs worth well over $100 a box, some cost closer to $1000 it is well worth the risk.

Pretty good show that one. :)

TryPTAMINES

> The tryptamine market remains active in Australia.

> Significant discussion is occurring in online forums on the use of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocybin-containing mushrooms and dimethyltryptamine.

> The tryptamine market is a niche market and its risk trajectory remains stable.

organised crime in australia 2011