The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Solar water purifiers?

I put an old hydro book in the bathroom for reading time, so it got read thoroughly in a month, an saw a thin\g on using solar water for turning brackish/salt water into usable water for hydro systems. basically it was just a glass done over top of strategically placed trays of water. teh water evaporated and condensed on the glass, ran down the sides into collection and pipes for the system.

So I am wondering how safe this would be to use for drinking water? I am only assuming that pollutants such as metals and pesticides wont evaporate, is that right? what about bacteria and such? the water here in taiwan is not good, all drinking water is piped down from mountains as the ground water is polluted. Where I am moving in canada eventually is the same, ground water is no good...

I believe that would be considered water distillation, so would be fine to drink.

Edited by tripsis

If you only have metallic contamination solar stills will separate 100% of the contamination.

I dont know about pesticides, a few are volatile & may end up in the product water?

If microorganisms are an issue, any still alive during the condensation phase will quite happily (and amazingly quickly)find their way around pretty much every surface of the still & into the product water.

You can of course boil the product water before drinking.

`

Edited by Magicdirt