The Corroboree
watertrade

rotting loph

will this rotting loph die?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, I don't get much time to garden. so I often miss things happening. cool flowers etc.

I discovered this today.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

ugh... did the orange rot spread into it from the spach stock?

Oh shit, that's a horrible sight! I guess it really depends on the extent on the rot internally, but I have no experience with rot like that. I'll vote yes on the fact that at least some of the pups should be able to be saved, thus technically the plant will live. Not sure about the main head though. Beautiful plant WT!

Blowng - I think the rot started at the union of the graft with the spach. I thought it may have been from a spine wound created as the loph grew into the spines. but as I cut it it looks to have been just the at the union. (?)

IMG_0497small.jpg

IMG_0500small.jpg

This isn't the first time grafted lophs of this size have rotted - I think it may be time to degraft them all (?) anyone have experience with larger grafted lophs rotting ?

Edited by watertrade

anyone have experience with larger grafted lophs rotting ?

Yes.

Enough to make a grown man cry. :angry:

To help prevent rot at the graft union the scion should be trimmed back so the graft union is fully visible.

IMO, the scion grows to overhang at the graft union & thus creating an environment for moisture & rot to set in.

Wtf is on that 10cent piece, it looks as healthy as that loph

Wtf is on that 10cent piece, it looks as healthy as that loph

I think it may be a semen stain.

yeah too much experience over here too, breaks your heart, lost 2 balls of ceaspitosa about a month back, a good 7" diameter+ on both, from the inside out, probably at union, all salvaged bits rotted over the following weeks.

My perpesctive it'll be a challenge, do-able but sometimes just outta your control, some of the healthiest heads i've had have re-infected before, good luck :)

ohhhhh that is nasty ! and such a nice looking plant too, great form for a grafted plant. I like it when they 'sit' into the stock and kind of mould around it. I've had this situation too many times to count, but over the last season or so have been very lucky and not had a single loss. Personally I would take off the pups and scrap the remainder.