The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

WTB - Mandrake

Will shortly be conducting some experiments with ethno-herbal preparations in combination with fermented beverages. Much of what's required is already in possession or can be readily sourced.

Can anyone guide towards the Mandrake root and her local sources. To avoid confusion, it is Mandragora officinarum that's required, not Podophyllum peltatum, of which is more commonly sold but quite a different plant.

There is an overseas supplier in Canada, but being a tropane containing plant material, it's not known if quarantine/customs would allow it to slip through. Local sources would be much appreciated.

Love,

Psy

The SAB store used to sell jars of mandrake pieces but I haven't seen them available for many moons. www.allrareherbs.com.au sells live plants from time to time. Also there is an Australian vendor who sells seeds on ebay.

Good luck.

Cheers for that muskrat, I've been on the hunt for Mandragora seeds for a while now

every witchcraft/wiccan/whatever store sells it dried, though now you have planted the seed of doubt in my mind that what they sell is actually that other species you mentioned (which i have never heard of). but yeah i see mandrake in shops all the time, and on ebay. may have to get seller or supplier to specify species though if that is a legitimate concern.

i would be after some seeds as well if anyone has any. i can supply seeds for henbane if you are interested in that, and i have a fair bit of leaf lying around the place too. i was saving it for a similar experiment myself (henbane pilsener) but uni is back on now and i doubt i will be bothered any time in the foreseeable future.

ps just googled Podophyllum peltatum and it doesnt seem popular to me...seems like an obscure north american thing that we don't have around here, and nobody really wants because it isn't all that useful. apparently good for warts though...but i agree that to confuse the two plants would have disastrous consequences!

pm me for the name of ebay store (whoevers interested) that sells the mandrake seed of which you all speak ;)

not sure if its ok to mention them here plus not sure if advertising allowed lol

every witchcraft/wiccan/whatever store sells it dried, though now you have planted the seed of doubt in my mind that what they sell is actually that other species you mentioned (which i have never heard of). but yeah i see mandrake in shops all the time, and on ebay. may have to get seller or supplier to specify species though if that is a legitimate concern.

i would be after some seeds as well if anyone has any. i can supply seeds for henbane if you are interested in that, and i have a fair bit of leaf lying around the place too. i was saving it for a similar experiment myself (henbane pilsener) but uni is back on now and i doubt i will be bothered any time in the foreseeable future.

Hi Frank, I am almost certain that the wiccan community are using P.peltatum for their purposes.

Off topic, but do you have 50 grams of H. Niger seed - I would gladly make a Henbane Beer and share with you some of the results if you are in Sydney.

Thanks for the responses so far, and I will keep looking for the correct plant material. Where is the "SAB Store" located ?

Mandrake is an awesome plant, and maybe the center of one of the biggest hypes ever. Hyoscyamus species are fast to grow and provide material with more or less the same qualities as mandrake.

So, plant a mandrake for your joy of you growing it, and get some Hyoscyamus seed for playing around. edit: I would not even use the seed, but the plant material.

Edited by mutant

I have to agree with mutant about this, and especially about the hype.

Mandrakes are persnicketty to germinate (although I've had 100% with one species), and they're slow to grow to 'usable' size. I have 21 plants of three species at the moment, and I wouldn't ever use them for anything other than specimen plants. They embody far too much expense and time to warrant any dance with danger, and in this they are the same as lophs - although lophs don't carry the risk of death...

If anyone is desperate to play tropane roulette I would suggest that they look at other species. Do so at your own risk though - the spud/tomato family can have very particular outcomes...

tombstone.gif

Cheers mutant and WoodDragon.. will have to look into that.

edit: I see SAB has H. niger and Herbalistics has H. albus

anyone on here have any of the above or other species to trade/sell?

oh, and I'm only growing for ornamental purposes..

Edited by centipede