The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
omsource

Storing your mother culture

Just wondering how you guys store your mother culture?

(meaning the culture you use to start your working plates with)

Been looking around on the web and there seem to be tons

of different ways, I thought maybe we could compile a list of tried

and tested ways.

Petri dishes wouldn't be the best, as soon as the mycelium gets to the edges

it is prone to contamination.

Maybe also write up how to transfer as well

Example:

-Storage of mother culture: in large screw cap test tube in the fridge as agar slant.

-Transfer: to revive remove from the fridge one day before transferring, the next day transfer with inoculation loop to fresh petri dish.

-Allow mother culture test tube to regrow for x amount of days and replace in fridge....

Anyone else care to share :wink:

OmSource

`

Edited by Magicdirt

mycelium in sterile water apparently works well for quite extended periods of time.

The above video but rather than test tubes, I use old glass spice/herb bottles. Easier to acquire than test tubes, and will stand without a test tube rack.

nice! do you have any trouble with plastic lids in the PC? I love the idea of using what you have. I use the pp takeaway style round 40ml sauce containers as petri dishes (food packaging suppliers) they're PC proof. Although not as good as spice jars, baby food jars aren't too bad either.

Culture tubes are easy to get here. Crown Scientific sells tubes manufactured by Techno Plas. I use the polycarbonate ones with HDPE lids, as they are reusable, autoclavable and the plastic of the tubes is completely transparent. If you need some, I have several hundred I could sell.

The spice bottles and their lids are fine in the PC, but perhaps you could take tripsis up on his offer. Nothing like a bit of pro looking equipment to keep your sterile technique in check!

some people recommend leaving the test tube lids half screwed shut for gas exchange

and then to seal it with cling wrap.

Others have said to screw them shut after colonisation.

Any ideas?

Also does anybody keep their agar slants out of the fridge and how long might they last unrefrigerated?

Good idea on the spice jars!

I kept some of my slants out of the fridge, with the lids slightly loose. They were altogether in bags. The most aggressive cultures ended up "escaping", with the mycelium growing throughout the bags and potentially contaminating the other tubes. This did not happen in the fridge, nor would it have happened if the lids were completely screwed shut.