The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Voynich manuscript a century older than previously thought.

University of Arizona researchers have cracked one of the puzzles surrounding what has been called "the world's most mysterious manuscript" – the Voynich manuscript, a book filled with drawings and writings nobody has been able to make sense of to this day.

Using radiocarbon dating, a team led by Greg Hodgins in the UA's department of physics has found the manuscript's parchment pages date back to the early 15th century, making the book a century older than scholars had previously thought.

This tome makes the "DaVinci Code" look downright lackluster: Rows of text scrawled on visibly aged parchment, flowing around intricately drawn illustrations depicting plants, astronomical charts and human figures bathing in – perhaps – the fountain of youth. At first glance, the "Voynich manuscript" appears to be not unlike any other antique work of writing and drawing.

An alien language

But a second, closer look reveals that nothing here is what it seems. Alien characters, some resembling Latin letters, others unlike anything used in any known language, are arranged into what appear to be words and sentences, except they don't resemble anything written – or read – by human beings.

Hodgins, an assistant research scientist and assistant professor in the UA's department of physics with a joint appointment at the UA's School of Anthropology, is fascinated with the manuscript.

"Is it a code, a cipher of some kind? People are doing statistical analysis of letter use and word use – the tools that have been used for code breaking. But they still haven't figured it out."

A chemist and archaeological scientist by training, Hodgins works for the NSF Arizona Accelerator Mass Spectrometry, or AMS, Laboratory, which is shared between physics and geosciences. His team was able to nail down the time when the Voynich manuscript was made.

Currently owned by the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library of Yale University, the manuscript was discovered in the Villa Mondragone near Rome in 1912 by antique book dealer Wilfrid Voynich while sifting through a chest of books offered for sale by the Society of Jesus. Voynich dedicated the remainder of his life to unveiling the mystery of the book's origin and deciphering its meanings. He died 18 years later, without having wrestled any its secrets from the book.

full article:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-experts-age.html

f36r.sized.jpg

f52v.sized.jpg

more:

http://voynichcentral.com/gallery/Voynich_manuscript

Edited by nabraxas

from time to time i ponder about the voynich, but now i'm convinced the words are fantasy like the paintings.

who ever composed this book, was very good creating this flair of magic knowledge.

to create a painting of a flower which does not excist is quite extraordinary achivement!!

It's a lot of work for a fantasy, well presented too, anything from that era would most likely have come from someone of some social standing. They were obviously educated, that indicates someone that's well off itself.

It is perplexing to say the least and you have to wonder what the motivation to do something like that was.

That top illustration bears some resemblance to Geranium Robertainum (herb Robert) which is used as an alternative cancer treatment today.

A coded manuscript ?

Interesting to say the least.

I love the Voynich manuscript. I wonder if the truth will ever be deciphered? It does seem very hoax-like to me.

imo its one of those things that you dont want to be proven fact or fiction, its better that it remains mysterious.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the study only dated the parchment. So it's possible for the parchment to have been blank for a while before being written on, so maybe they have prematurely ruled out some of the origin theories.

I read somewhere that several linguistics experts said that it was unlikely that the text is a real language since so few words and letters are repeated.