The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yogibear

Two new Khat plants..

I am almost shocked they arrived in such good condition; None of the leaves are showing any signs of necrosis or 'burnt/crispy edges, just lovely.

The foliage, being as healthy as they are (The leaves look just as though the plants were handed to me from a next door neighbour; that's how green and healthy they are. you would never suspect they'd been mailed from Byron Post Office to Southern Adelaide)

Anyway, the question(s) I have are:

(1) Can I just stick em outside in full-sun - owing to their beautiful healthy condition; straight away? ..or do I REALLY have to leave them on a windowsill for a few days?

..and..

(2) Should I replant them ASAP or wait a few days to a week for them to 'settle'. The .. BOTH plants are.. *looks* around about 10 months old, so in that tiny 70mm pot, I assume they will be just BURSTING to get into mmm roomier accomodation.

I want to take cuttings as soon as they're large enough, and grow those cutings in rockwool->Perlite, just for the superior aeration Perlite provides, but first thing's first uh :)

Thankyall :)

--Jason

personally i re-potted immediately then dappled shade for a week to settle in now full sun.

Such a hardy plant it shouldn't matter what you do.

You can let them acclimatise for a week,repot for a while till root growth good.

Then they should be planted in the ground.

Its the only way to get a decent aged viable plant.

I believe that traditionally people dont bother with a chew till a tree is a few yrs old.

The best way to propagate is by layering.

The plant will throw out suckers,cover these with dirt and it will eventually root,cut them off,and Bob is your uncle.

No harm in trying tip cuttings though.

So exciting getting well presented healthy plants in the post!

Then they should be planted in the ground.

Its the only way to get a decent aged viable plant.

I believe that traditionally people dont bother with a chew till a tree ..

I will be moving to a new place sometime in the next few weeks, so I can't really plant them straight in the ground - here - sadly :(

But it's still too small for that yet anyhoo - just wondered whether the roots would have a broad enough network to pot up straight away really :)

The best way to propagate is by layering.

The plant will throw out suckers,cover these with dirt and it will eventually root,cut them off,and Bob is your uncle.

No harm in trying tip cuttings though.

As soon as it's started branching I plan to do just that :) Layered OR cuttings, I'll try both, as soon as there're enough branches in the suckers :)

So exciting getting well presented healthy plants in the post!

It is! Especially in such beautiful condition. I ordered a red and green one, just for variety; I believe the red is more potent, but the green is easier to propegate, so I figured why not get one of each, and according to the label stuck in the pot, they're around 10months old, so they should be just fine :)

Thanks hombre! :)

best to ask the supplier what conditions they were in last [not sure if you got them from us or not]. if they were in semi shade [which is how we keep them] then they should probably stay there for a little bit. potting up depends on how well the roots re developed. if the roots bind the soil in the pot the it is definitely time to pot up. If not then you can probably leave them in the little ones.

It also depends on what you intend to do with them. eg, if you have a fairly well established plant that was grown in shade and you want to put it in the full sun over the next few weeks then you need to pot it up so that it has enough soil as a moisture reservoir.

if you want the leaves to keep looking near perfect then you need to keep it in part shade. the hot sun will burn some edges.

Some don't like to get their leaves wet in the sun,so wait til late or shade to water or they'll burn,and they love home-brew carboy remains after draughting :wink: