The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
niggles

Wanted: Neem!

My garden has been infested with pests, and im looking for a gentle solution to the problem.

Does anyone know where i can get a neem pesticide that doesnt have all the chemical stuff in it?

Also wanting to grow some, so any seeds/seedlings/cutting or even some fresh material that i can use would be great for trade or buying

thanks

what kind of pests are we talking here?

howdy chap, you can get all sorts of formulas / brands it seems from hardware stores and garden centres, there seems to be so much stuff out these days with every manufacturer wanting a slice, few years back it seemed you couldn't get anything, now it's an hour of reading labels and trying to reach the top shelf for even more products.

Here's an online one which may be what you are chasing, http://www.neemoil.com.au/index.php

Else depending on pest you can make up sprays at home from various cooking and dishwashing oils / soaps / milks / flours / botanical oils of herbs etc.

Seems home made broad spectrum sprays sorta aim to suffocate, clag walking, clag mouthpieces, topically and systemically toxify, sometimes it seems it's good to keep things wet and then wash it off, sometimes good to let things dry and then wash it, i.e. some of the milk / flour mixes seem to aim to kill via restriction of the insect once it dries.

You generally should always make sure the plant itself is well hydrated before and during spraying, especially if aiming to let the spray dry on it else you can hurt the plant further.

edit: this is one brand i've been seeing in stores, https://www.ecoorganicgarden.com.au/main.php?id=1

eco-oil, eco-neem etc...

I never really buy sprays, but recently thought i'd try one product in these sorta new oil ranges available, i've been using 'natrasoap' 'potassium salts of fatty acids', which does work with repeated application, yet i've found can cause burning particularly with sensitive plants / parts like flowers, young shoots etc, particularly if let slightly dry out, even when spraying at low concentrations the air felt fairly caustic i reckon.

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Sorry to hijak your thread but i was actually just about to post the same thing, i am also looking for NEEM, seed or plant, I understand the seeds have a short viability of about a month, i also understand they usually fruit in late summer. If anyone can help me out please PM. Am willing to purchase/trade whatever. I have tried some seeds from a commercial seed company but with zero germination, Its a amazing sounding plant i am really keen to grow.

cheers

edit nevermind just found these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEEM-Azadirachta-indica-1-Plant-/160542112732?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item25610e3bdc#ht_1869wt_907

Edited by yaguareté

Koda Phytorium sell a range of neem oil products, although for fast action organic pesticide I recommend 'success' which is also available there.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I am still keen to get some viable seed or some plants if anyone is interested in trading or selling, just let me know!

Now Im off to Koda to do some shopping.

Sorry I dont really know what sort of pests I have, apart from the drunken visitors, I have lots of small black and green things crawling all over my banisteriopsis and something nibbling my tomatoes, and eating my greens.

and something nibbling my tomatoes, and eating my greens.

its sina.

ok well lots of insects and bugs dont like chillies or garlic so here is a home made spray that might help you

first peel several cloves of garlic and put them in a blender with a couple of hot chillies then fill the blender jar 1/2 full with water. Whirl the contents around on the "blend" setting for one minute then strain your mixture through a sieve, cheesecloth or pantyhose lol then your ready to blast your infested plants with your super garlic/pepper spray

Sorry to hijak your thread but i was actually just about to post the same thing, i am also looking for NEEM, seed or plant, I understand the seeds have a short viability of about a month, i also understand they usually fruit in late summer. If anyone can help me out please PM. Am willing to purchase/trade whatever. I have tried some seeds from a commercial seed company but with zero germination, Its a amazing sounding plant i am really keen to grow.

cheers

edit nevermind just found these

http://cgi.ebay.com....c#ht_1869wt_907

I picked up one of the plants listed in that Ebay auction, it arrived in 2 days.

It was well packaged and a good sized plant - around 30 cm

It didn't seem like a very healthy specimen though, it was in a 50mm diameter pot that is 100mm deep and the roots were only about 1/2 way down, totally out of proportion for the size of the plant. The plant was not in very good shape either - approx 50% of it was chlorotic and many leaves are showing signs of insect damage.

I'm not overly impressed.

I don't know if that's normal for cornucopia but I'd be hesitant to buy from them again.

That doesnt sound like much chop.. I was thinking of buying one.. but Ill hold out for other options.

The garlic chilli spray sounds like fun. I already ordered success from Koda so Ill see how that pans out and let you know what i think.

Damn, I bought two of them that I'm waiting to arrive.

It's been about 5 days now, I'll report back on what they are like

Damn, I bought two of them that I'm waiting to arrive.

It's been about 5 days now, I'll report back on what they are like

It said on their site that they only post trees on Mondays, I ordered Sunday night so if you ordered on or after Monday you could be waiting until next week.

It's not a bad policy I suppose, I've had plants mailed midweek that didn't arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday of the next week. Sitting around a depot in a dark box doesn't do any plant much good.

I'm pretty sure i ordered sunday, and i just got a note from the post office saying i have something to pick up after 430 today.

Damn australia post!

That doesnt sound like much chop.. I was thinking of buying one.. but Ill hold out for other options.

The garlic chilli spray sounds like fun. I already ordered success from Koda so Ill see how that pans out and let you know what i think.

make sure u strain it properly u dnt want any little chunks getting in your spray bottle... like i did :BANGHEAD2:

I'm pretty sure i ordered sunday, and i just got a note from the post office saying i have something to pick up after 430 today.

Damn australia post!

so how did it go..... :uzi:

I picked up one of the plants listed in that Ebay auction, it arrived in 2 days.

It was well packaged and a good sized plant - around 30 cm

It didn't seem like a very healthy specimen though, it was in a 50mm diameter pot that is 100mm deep and the roots were only about 1/2 way down, totally out of proportion for the size of the plant. The plant was not in very good shape either - approx 50% of it was chlorotic and many leaves are showing signs of insect damage.

I'm not overly impressed.

I don't know if that's normal for cornucopia but I'd be hesitant to buy from them again.

My plants took a bit longer to arrive and from your description they where in a similar condition, really large plants for the small pots they came in. One was in a lot better condition than the other, with mostly healthy growth. I'm still fairly happy with the purchase, im sure they will bounce back ok.

hey mate did u end up buying spray or trying the chilly and garlic spray.... i hope it worked for u