The Corroboree
Hellonasty

Seed grown Trichocereus Peruvianus 'Icaro'

Inspired by Gerbil's seed growth Pach thread I thought I would do a similar thing but with my 'Icaro' seedlings. I received the seed a few seasons ago but I can't for the life of me remember the source, anyway I think they turned out pretty well ?

5391444059_1708d12229_b.jpg

5392046420_0fbc6ed905_z.jpg

5392082684_be5298e253_z.jpg

5392047920_d114d6ce90_b.jpg

5392046994_d15982a1b9_b.jpg

This is the first one again.

5391452359_bd89eef1df_b.jpg

• Like 7

I read somewhere that the "Icaro" strain peruvianus was actually ID'd as a Macro, can anyone confirm this?

very nice looking cacti btw !

Edited by mr b.caapi

Absolutely gorgeous-looking! Lovely spikes! I love the shots from the top with the bright green.Tell me, Hellonasty:

• A few seasons so say 3 years from seeds to this?
  • At what height/age did you let them outside? Full-time?
  • How tall are they? 90-120cm?

i have a rib dropping icaro also.. a gift from big T,may be my fav cacti, lol theyre all my favs,will post pic later looks so similar to yours HN

Awesome thread. Cool cacti everyone. I love phenotype threads. Hellonasty I am sure you don't mind people showing their own Icarus or similar peruvianoids.

my cacti don't really have much active growth. They've been growing during winter but very slowly.

My Icaro

P1010563.jpg

and much smaller 'los gentiles' which is similar, but I has probably not started showing its mature characteristics which would probably make it different than icaro

P1010564.jpg

===

Having said this, does anyone see cuzco-like flat based, yellow new spines in some of that specimens?? [not saying they're cuzco of course, but maybe that there are some common traits, or that such spines are also produced by some peruvianoids, in a lesser degree.

wooh nice one hellonasty thanks for sharing them, that first one is definitely looking the closest to one of mine, i'd imagine it's the juvenille photo you posted in the thread too? looks familiar even though older.

shit yeah keep them coming!

Heres mine from shaman australis stock '08 thanks T...

DSCN0846.jpg

This ones a lot different from herbalistics...

DSCN0864.jpg

Edited by blowng
  • Like 2

Oh , did I say mine are also bought seed grown from SAB ? [dec 09 - jan 10]

Well I have pretty many plants that have huge traveling experience from the first jono kk339 pachanoi hyper pupper, to these :

South america ----> australia ------> europe

Sweet.

Absolutely gorgeous-looking! Lovely spikes! I love the shots from the top with the bright green.Tell me, Hellonasty:

• A few seasons so say 3 years from seeds to this?
  • At what height/age did you let them outside? Full-time?
  • How tall are they? 90-120cm?

Yeah about three years from seed. Same are bigger due to them being grafted as seedlings average size is about 30cm, largest is about 80cm ( once grafted). I grow them indoors to about 6months then in my greenhouse to 1 year and then let them have it :)

HN

Edited by Hellonasty

wooh nice one hellonasty thanks for sharing them, that first one is definitely looking the closest to one of mine, i'd imagine it's the juvenille photo you posted in the thread too? looks familiar even though older.

shit yeah keep them coming!

You're correct it is the same plant mate :) I think they do look similar, both nice looking trichos.

Nice plants Mutant, blowng and lophty I really like them.

blowng, that first picture looks like it could crest ?

All of plants posted look somewhat similar and I agree they do have 'Cuzco' features. I'm interested in Mr b.caapi's Macrogonus idea, anyone ?

The first one you posted a picture of Hellonasty, is an extremely beautiful specimen. I hope you're proud. :P

I just planted some Icaro seeds just now. Hopefully they'll germinate, and then I can post pictures too.

In horrible news, I awoke this morning to find my propagator lid fallen off, and best of all... covered in duck shit. One of the ducks decided to come into the garage, climb all up on the benches and stuff, and leave excrement all on my gardening equipment and the seedling propagator, and then as a final move - knock the lid off and let the morning sun scorch my seeds. Cheers duck.

• Like 1

Gorgeous plants HN, Icaros are definitely one of my favourite of the Trichos.

Well, they're not sprouting. But I planted 6 Astros, and 4 of them have sprouted... So maybe the seeds were a little bit iffy to begin with. I will wait a few weeks before giving up on this lot.

Edit: 6/6 (or was it 6/8?, I forgot) Astros have sprouted. But no Trichos. :(

Edited by bluntmuffin

Funny you say this, I had a couple of birds get inside my cactus greenhouse/shelter and cause some havoc today. They ripped out a couple of seed grown Ariocarpus and completely mutilated them :( bit of bummer one of them was about 8cm diameter. Ohh well life goes on I guess.

One of my ferrets got into my San Pachanoi tray a while ago and made a huge mess digging the soil and cm-tall cactii onto the carpet and everywhere else. The maidenii seedlings weren't as hardy and some of them perished. :(

The funny part; not all of the plants were accounted for in the end and when I moved the cactii into another container, I found one that had been subterranean for months! Still green!

I recently got this seed grown one through P.D. Not sure where the seed is from. The sprouting pumpkin gives you some scale :)

6754036457_8ea437b94a_b.jpg

Here is my biggest, just planted in the ground a couple of days ago :)

post-5030-0-49659400-1329015472_thumb.jp post-5030-0-32086600-1329015507_thumb.jp

About 6 years old I think, from tripsis

post-5030-0-49659400-1329015472_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-32086600-1329015507_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-49659400-1329015472_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-32086600-1329015507_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Is it alright to post pics of my baby peru? :P

Went to take a pic of my 'Icaros' this afternoon and my camera battery died. Will get some pics tomorrow and post them up. Loving this thread.

Edited by tonic