The Corroboree
mutant

Trichocereus cuzcoensis

Question

I had to start such a thread, lol!

I am not saying anything else for now, I have been told that these are cuzcoids:

P1010424.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010422.jpg

• Like 2

Are spines darker at the base like this usually considered cuzco

im no expert but after studying a couple of my own plants, pics & descriptions online here are my thoughts

Not just the darkness but also the thickness length arrangement & taper of the spine at the base.

V notching skin appearance & texture would be other things to look for

DSCF0007-1.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Edited by mac
  • Like 1

Alright, I must agree, cuzcos are beautiful Mutant.

Both yours and Mac's look like typical cuzcoensis to me.

thanks for the pics mac. beautiful plant you have there

is the "S" line formed between the ribs another tool to help i.d cuzco.

all the ones i've seen have had it

Yup. Trichocereus cuscoensis.... It looks like the cacti in the hills outside Cusco, Peru, I'd know... cause I've seen 'em in their natural habitat!

Yup. Trichocereus cuscoensis.... It looks like the cacti in the hills outside Cusco, Peru, I'd know... cause I've seen 'em in their natural habitat!

Ok, shall we all bow down now? or should we wait till the pipe band gets here?

• Like 1

Lol Teotz is such a cheap show off! Hey Teotz, show off your own cuzcoid

Come on bring on your cuzcoid photos, along with what you think consists of a cuzco and why you consider your cactus as such.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

^^^^^^ :lol:

The large main central one upward & one downward spine is another thing i have noticed, spines are very delicate while growing & easily knocked off, once they age & whiten slightly they are another story

Also notice a slight resemblance to my despined Browningia hertlingiana behind it in my second pic

Edited by mac

recieved as gnosis

DSCN0819.jpg

recieved as kk 2151 macrogonus ( im not that dense fark)

DSCN0813.jpg

recieved as kk 242

DSCN0814.jpg

all i suspect as being cuzcoids :blush:

mac that one of yours is a beauty!....personally i have nothing against these cacti , but annoys me the mislabeling perpetrated to make a buck?

Edited by blowng

No i do love the look of them but i picked my cuzco up as a replacement for some bridgesii that arrived hollow with rot

I didnt get a reply when i asked if i was sent cuzcoensis by mistake (ebay :blush:)

mac , a browningia? Sweat! I would love to see a photo of her! I have been wanting to get one of these.

So we got some cuzcoID factors for now:

1) curly rib formation between two consecutive areoles, as seen in all three blowng pix.

2) spines: way fatter in the base and more dark coloured towards the base, usually yellow, accompanied by one or two smaller but still biggy spines of the same type [with fattened bases]. Becoming whitish with age

3) Flattened V notch is another thing I noted.

I think this is a nice thread to report monkeys or otherwise animals finding such cuzcoid clones interesting in some way other than looks - but remember to be discreet.

Blowng was it you who also had Steve or not?

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Blowng was it you who also had Steve or not?
nope not me post-4908-0-15925300-1295265285_thumb.jp

gttt.jpg

gttt.jpg

think this is ok to mention in the thread :unsure:

as i thought it may be why HHH uses prickly pear in their caktus powder that was mentioned early last year

It may also be pointed out that the alkaloid-rich T. cuzcoensis contained 3-methoxytyramine as the predominant alkaloid

3-Methoxytyramine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3-Methoxytyramine

3-Methoxytyramine (3-MT), also known as 3-methoxy-4-hydroxyphenethylamine, is a metabolite of the neurotransmitter dopamine formed by the introduction of a methyl group to dopamine by the enzyme catechol-O-methyl transferase (COMT). 3-MT can be further metabolized by the enzyme monoamine oxidase (MAO) to form homovanillic acid (HVA), which is then typically excreted in the urine.

3-Methoxytyramine is also naturally found in the prickly pear (genus Opuntia).[1]

ok so what about this one?

13856280.jpg

definately photoshopped. begins as a cuzco and turns up to be a pachanoid/short spined peruv :blink:

hey, on serious note

beautiful cuzcos everyone, blow I love the glaucousness!

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

umm, no definitely not photoshopped, its in my possession!!!

I'm showing how the same cacti grown in 2 different conditions can give different characteristics... It was sold as peruvianus, id'd as cuzco based on spines, and notching (before the new growth). Guess i'm trying to show you can't id every cacti properly without knowing the growing conditions, and every condition affects spine length and colour...

I will take more photo's when i get home if you wish.

C_T , from reading the posts by M S Smith, I would definitely say its also is a cuzcoid, and now i can see why M S Smith lumps T.knuthianus in the same catagory as T.cuzcoensis. That looks half cuzco, half knuthianus. ... given some full sun you should see it put out some bigger spines at the top again.

did you ever post pictures of your trip?

lets see it, not hear it!!

I do have tons of pics.... I MIGHT upload some of them... one day...

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

C_T you got pawned . lulz! I was just joking.

yep this is very important knowing growing conditions. This plant you showed looks like it was moved to a place of little or no direct sun from where it used to be and it was transformed from a fatty 'cuzco' to a thinner 'pachanoid/shorspined peruv' lol - I guess sometimes my humoar is intendedly 4dimentional

hey is knuthianus this awesome tubercled trichocereus? doesn really look like cuzcos - deserve a separate name at least for the phenotype in my eyes

• Like 1

Hey blowng, I noticed the similarity of T. knuthianus to T. cuzcoensis some time ago. I also noticed some similarity between these two and T. tarmaensis, only to find that Ritter considers T. knuthianus and T. tarmaensis to be synonymous. I swear that in one of my reference books someone says T. knuthianus and T. cuzcoensis are also synonymous, but I can't seem to find it. I think they are all the same variable species, sort of like I would say T. santaensis and T. pallarensis are both variables of the same grouping that T. pachanoi falls into. I'm a "clumper" not a "splitter" and don't think that some otherwise minor traits undo T. knuthianus being a variety of T. cuzcoensis, but all the same, like mutant I don't think it would be valuable to stop using the name T. knuthianus. I might note though that the T. knuthianus that I see in Australia is not the same as the one sold by Sacred Succulents which is much more similar to the T. cuzcoensis of Cuzco.

I do have tons of pics but I figured it was either put them on facebook or the forums, not both... guess which one I choose?

I MIGHT upload some of them... one day...

Ha ha ha ha ha!

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 1

...edit

naughty Teo!

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

O fuck you Smith, anybody that wants to see it PM me.

Ya I was with them in Cusco, and it IS Cusco, I was there in the city, that is what THEIR street signs say- CUSCO, not Cuzco.

Boy, you really are a cretin aren't you; such invective should have you banned.

Apparently you are unaware that there are alternate spellings of both cities and countries in other languages that are proper regardless of a street sign. You're no grammarian yourself considering that you misspelled the way they spell Peru in Perú. :P

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 1