The Corroboree
J Smith

Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences

What would be an appropriate way of attributing the image? Is "courtesy of" and the url of their flickr profile enough?

EDIT: Changed "for" and "sake" to lowercase. Left "Nature" capitalised as it comes across a little more personal and affectionate I believe.

EDIT2: Actually, just realised a lot of words were randomly capital in the text. I think if we want credibility, we need to look professional, so I don't think it's quibbling to get these things perfect. I agonised a little over Government and minister, but think it's right with capital 'G' and lowercase 'm' in that context. Hmmm, now I'm looking at "Federal" and "Attorney-General"...I have NFI :blink:

I did say that this kind of thing was not my forte, but no-one else was creating a flyer so i gave it a go. When i first posted the text , i asked for advice and constructive critisism, but never got any( exept advised to add www.gardenfreedom.com, and hadn't at the time as i was planning on putting that information on the tear off strips at the bottom of the page, though it made sense to add it for use as a poster) . The words Federal Attorney General were used at the garden freedom site. Doesn't that make sense? You could have improved it before i printed off several copies , Doh. Never mind, team work is the key. The new version of flyer is great. Thanks for all the effort that you are putting into this whole affair ballzac. I am sure that there are other people out there making an effort too. I hope

I did say that this kind of thing was not my forte, but no-one else was creating a flyer so i gave it a go. When i first posted the text , i asked for advice and constructive critisism, but never got any( exept advised to add www.gardenfreedom.com, and hadn't at the time as i was planning on putting that information on the tear off strips at the bottom of the page, though it made sense to add it for use as a poster) . The words Federal Attorney General were used at the garden freedom site. Doesn't that make sense? You could have improved it before i printed off several copies , Doh. Never mind, team work is the key. The new version of flyer is great. Thanks for all the effort that you are putting into this whole affair ballzac. I am sure that there are other people out there making an effort too. I hope

Haha, it's all good. I wasn't blaming you. I thought your text was great which is why I've been using it, and I read it several times to check for spelling and grammar without noticing the capitalisation thing. I deleted a couple of words from the latest version too, as I felt it just made it slightly 'snappier'. I think it's that fear of not being enough of an expert that perhaps holds a lot of people back from becoming more involved. None of us are experts at any of this stuff, and to some extent you gotta become a bit of a jack-of-all-trades to contribute a lot, so all we can do is make our best effort.

let's all just keep going at 'em.

found this in a local rag.

http://www.banyuleandnillumbikweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/wacky-cacti-faces-being-weeded-out/2076559.aspx

oops.sorry just saw this page is already listed under "media releases"

Edited by etherealdrifter

commercial or non commercial will be fine (in fact commercial will be better). Non commercial means it strictly prohibits commercial use; commercial means all uses are acceptable.

I think due to the importance of this issue many people would be fine to license use of their images even if the CC license they are listed under may be a bit different to this use; just send them a PM and ask.

Edited by occidentalis

Oh, and Yeti, may I use your brug photo...pretty please :innocent_n:

Go for it - I've got no problem with non-commercial use of that pic.

This matter is not going away GetUp until you are more transparent in your decision making process. I urge the general membership to check out the original thread - you may be astonished by what you find.
This is a placeholder for the original "Stop the federal illegalisation of thousands of species of native plants". This is a very popular idea amongst the GetUp community but has been controversially declined by the GetUp administration with little transparancy in the explanation. There are 63 pages of comments and close to 5000 votes - check out the original thread.

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/60819-campaign-ideas/suggestions/1508015-stop-the-criminalisation-of-native-plants-under-mi?ref=title

Stopping the federal illegalisation of thousands of species of plants (Original Thread)

How about using their own spudity against whoever are behind these proposed laws.

For example, some researchers find DMT in tomatoes or in something very common. Then we actually campain for the criminilsation of tomatoes.. thereby polluting the laws by adding way too many species.

Another strong argument is the preservation of biodiversity, much stronger than the argument about nurseries loosing business blah (do you think they care about that?).

so maybe contacting organisations like seed banks or environmentalists would help?

and how about good old demonstration rallies in each capital city? lets get our asses in the street instead of whinging behind our computer screens...

So what was the decision on the flyer with the sprig of wattle.( post 296) Are we allowed to use this image , ya or na ? . If i am allowed to use the wattle pic' , then i will go back to the nurseries and replace the old posters with the new . I am interested to see if there are any of the web site strips removed from the bottom of the posters.

I really think we should not use the image without permission. I took the liberty of emailing the website and asking them if I could use the low res image with watermark removed if I clearly attributed the image to them. I stressed that this is not a commercial venture. It's a long shot, but if they were a green thumb or something they might want to help out. It would also be a bit of free advertising for their website. I received an automated reply stating that they will endeavour to get back to me within one business day.

I've still been looking for other images that would work in that version, but haven't had much luck. I modified a cc image from flickr (as suggested by occidentalis), but the one I've used doesn't really work that well. Still looking for more, but I'm really busy at the moment and don't hold out much hope. Alternatively, if we feel that the flyer is worth it, ten of us could chuck in $5 each to pay for the image. Then we'd have a better resolution one with no evidence of a watermark too.

Has anyone contacted environmental science sections of our universities? Surely students etc of these mobs would sign submissions, and spread the word?

Ballzac... I'll put in $10 if needed?

I could put money in as well, but we are running out of time,so i think i will just do as i have been, printing on colored paper. ballzac, if you get the permission for the pic' before by the end of the day, well then good, but if not, i will just print off with what i have got. I am going back to the nurseries tomorrow morning.

if you get the permission for the pic' before by the end of the day...

No dice on that I'm afraid, which is not unexpected.

thanks for your effort ballzac,

i definitely wouldn't use the wattle pic, especially seeing as it was watermarked and the watermark removed,

i was going to try and use this pic, but with the blue background/clouds removed:

82855083fwykrafs.jpg

but seeings your photo editing skills seem pretty good ballzac maybe you could have a go?

tbh i can't remember where i got the image from or whether or not it's public domain/cc

oh and yeah i'd pitch in $5-$10 with some others, just wouldn't spend 50

oh and yeah i'd pitch in $5-$10 with some others, just wouldn't spend 50

Same here, if it's not too late that is.

Well we are almost there=$50. What is involved ballzac. Would we transfer money into your account, and then you transfer the money on for the pic. Is it then sent to you via email??? Are you too busy to do this if we get a few more 'chuck-ins'.And most importantly, Is it worth it. is everyone going to print off another poster ? What do you reckon ballzac and co...

Edit: qualia, i don't have photo shop editing skills either . must learn one of these days,hey!

Even maybe some of our arty members can quickly draw up a sprig of wattle ?!

Tic tic tic tic tic tic

Edited by Amazonian

Another thought, what about using a scanner to produce an image. An actual sprig of wattle, although, the wattles aren't flowering at the moment are they?! Or even a pic' from a book.

Weed control is the tool used for control and social engineering in this country.

Countless farmers were robbed of their farms by local weed councils and neighbours only

too happy to capitalize on the misfortunes of others.

Probably the best recent example of this sort of thing that has good cover on the internet

is Ruth Downey and her fight with the RSPCA. Not weed control but the same outcome.

The local RSPCA, run by barristers, turned up on Ruth Downey's farm and started shooting

her dairy herd during a drought. After killing many of her cows they charged her hundreds of

thousands of dollars in "fees". The fees were to go directly to the barristers.

You often hear about the "decline of agriculture" in this country but no one really talks about

the causes.

In the coming decades most of the agricultural technology that has the potential, not only

to turn land degradation around but also to create new industries, will involve new species of

plants and new crops.

We are already in a situation where many plants that could be improving lands and providing

an income to farmers are declared noxious weeds. Even if you live in a district where the

weeds grow everywhere you live with the constant threat that the local authorities can issue

you with a notice to either spend thousands on spraying or pay the council twice as much.

Most farmers live with the constant possibility that they will be sued off their land.

Is it any wonder that the long term management issues are falling by the wayside when the

priority is just "get a big loan and hope for a good year".

One of the bad things about this legislation will end up being the best thing about it.

It is just ridiculously broad.

Like the dictators expecting to control the masses with a wave of their claw. This

law is going to unite many forces and land a shitstorm in the lap of the government.

Fight for the weeds

Down with the dictator

Regarding the image: It IS getting a bit late. A couple of days for transfers to go through. Perhaps another couple for the website to get their funds. Who knows how long before the account becomes active. It could end up being a waste of money if it doesn't go to plan. Still, I'd be happy to gamble five bucks if others still want to. It's not much.

I am incredibly busy as of yesterday, so I don't think I'd like to be handling the money and organising the account for the stock image thing, but happy to send five bucks to whoever might put their hand up for the task :innocent_n:

If we go ahead with it, it'll only take a couple of minutes to chuck the image into the flyer, so I'm happy to do that bit.

Nice find. I gather it's cc attribution...whose is it?