The Corroboree
Marcel

Salvia salvation needed!

A friend of mine has a bunch of 'special' Salvia rooted cuttings. There are five, each in its own pot, and each with about an inch of stem sticking out of the top of the soil. They have a decent roots, apparently, and are acclimatised to a temperate climate sans humidity dome.

My friend put them in a spot that is shady for most of the year, but because it's a new house, he didn't realise that in high summer, the sun creeps around the corner and they got nearly a full day of blasting sun. :BANGHEAD2:

He took them inside and has them on a window sill where they get indirect light, and he's been keeping them wet. But they look terrible! The little leaf nodes that a few of them had have gone black and brown and most of the stems have gone black. It makes him sick to the pit of his stomach!

Can he save them? What to do?!

Edited by Marcel

she is quite hard to kill, put her in humidity dome maybe, definitely give her a spray. dead leaves usually fall off.

i havent had any get a blackened stem before so i cant comment on that.

good luck.

Probably leave them for a day in a humidity dome then trim them off to below the black part. Photos would be helpful.

I agree with centipede. The burned leaves will look like shit until they fall off (or are removed) but the plant will usually recover.

And perhaps trim off the black bits as Icecube says? Are they just burned dead and blackened or does it look like rot?

If they were all leafless stumps to begin with this sunburn may be a big shock for them. Depends how well developed the root system is I guess. You'll just have to keep them out of direct sunlight and wait and see...

does any one now if it grows well in tasmania up the top part :) would love to obtain some eventually

hypothetically you could grow her anywhere its legal with the right humidity, light, temps and watering.

i haven't tried acclimatizing her outside here but i know others who have, so if thats what your talking about i'm sure if you gently acclimatized her to the outside world she could do it. hypothetically of course.

Edited by centipede

oh k thanks for that :) which brings me to my second question do ppl usually send things to tasmania because of our plant laws ? i dont tihnk id be able to get one here unless i personally went and collected off the boat

happens all the time to sage, some form of root rot form to much water, a fishtank is fantastic for growing sage, keeps the humidity perfect.

Swim has had the same problem everytime he takes a sage plant form the humidity chamber to outside and trys to slowly get her use to it, she just goes yellow and rots.

Kinda made me think to much sun, but its defently root rot, all the tell tale signs of it.

you would never get Salvia Divinorium into Tasmania, your only option is to get a cutting thats already established on the island, that said other sages can be used for divination.

Repot it, if its got slimy roots then its the common sage root rot and you just goto turf it.

Edited by vual

dont worry at all about them. give them heaps of water and they will survive anything. i've done lots of cuttings in my time and it's definitly not uncommone for 1 in 8 to go black. but the important thing is to keep watering them. most of the cuttings that have turned black for me have looked pretty miserable however a few weeks later they will push out a lil green shoot from the black stem. the new growth will be fully climatized to its new environment. amazing isnt it?

the worst thing, IMO, is the humidity dome. what the humidity dome does is keep the plant addicted to humidity and she suffers terrible withdrawal when she doesnt get it of if a gusty winds blows out the humidity. if it were me, i'd first check how her roots are by gently removing her from the pot and tease the roots so the soil is removed. if she has a good amount of roots then re pot her and remove the humidity dome. then saturate the entire thing. the top may turn a lil black but the new growth will be climatized to the new environment. it's not nice to see your plant turn black and look like it's dying, but in the end it will be for the best.

i've tried growing in full sun, shade, the dark, in humidity domes, in hot environments, in colder ones, etc but the best formular i've found ins no humidity dome, shade, crap loads of water and rich rich loose soil. i've noticed that the plant will apear MORE velvety if kept in an environment with low levels of humidity and the rich soil gives it a deep green colour wich i can only assume is good. strong sun reduces velvetyness and makes the leaves wrinkled however they grow a lil faster. tempurature doesnt do alot when greater then about 25*c however lower temps sometimes slow growth, especially at realy low temps. at these temps they should be protected from frost or ultra cold rain like in the middle of winter. wind can also hurt her

ps they seem to LOVE rich rich soil. i planted one in a shady compost heap and the leaves are the darkest i've ever seen a salvia and they are beautiful and velvety.

i'm sorry guys, i always rant like mad when it comes to sally's :(

Edited by ubza_1234

Guys! Great advice and suggestions here. The owner of these plants had a little dig under the top layer of soil and the stems are green where they were protected from sun, leading him to conclude that its black malady is sun exposure related, not rot.

Ubza, your optimism has given the plants' owner a stiffy. All of you, in fact, have given him a stiffy. Hurrah!

Only time will tell whether these pull through. I'll let you all know...

Guys! Great advice and suggestions here. The owner of these plants had a little dig under the top layer of soil and the stems are green where they were protected from sun, leading him to conclude that its black malady is sun exposure related, not rot.

Ubza, your optimism has given the plants' owner a stiffy. All of you, in fact, have given him a stiffy. Hurrah!

Only time will tell whether these pull through. I'll let you all know...

Can also look at the hydroponics shop for some plant food and microkill.

Emergency Treatment: top

1. Hydrogen Peroxide root dunk

-Remove each plant from system, snip off diseased roots.

-Dip/swish each plant and container into a strong H2O2 solution, until diseased roots have been removed. Repeat as required.

2. Sterilize equipment

All equipment should be disinfected (including hoses and pots, etc) with bleach solution or 10% h2o2 solution before plants are reintroduced into the system. Rinse well.

3. Add root rot medication. Add anti-pythium additives, Vitamin B1, and fresh nutrients to a sterilized reservoir at a lower strength, at cooler temps. Reduce light levels. After a week or so, after new roots appear, add some root boost additives.

(taken from: https://tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?p=2598)

I think it's pretty easy to kill salvia in warm/dry climates, specially summer. IME, I need a greenhouse to cultivate this. Too dry and too hot during summer. Dunno about sydney though

i never sterilize anything when taking cuttings, just snap off a branch an stick it in some saturated loose soil. I tried making mud out of soil and putting sally in there but the soil was too dense and hard to push roots thru :(

I think it's pretty easy to kill salvia in warm/dry climates, specially summer. IME, I need a greenhouse to cultivate this. Too dry and too hot during summer. Dunno about sydney though

don't use a green house for them, they don't like that...but a shade house would help.

aswell they can deal very well with extreem heat and dryness.

some people always have problems growing this one, and some others seem to get monster plants, and say she's sooo easy to grow, and both of them live in the same suburb!!

Edited by planthelper

PH, mine love it in mini greenhouses (plastic tubs which are about 50% transparent) and grow quicker and lusher than their acclimatized sisters. cuttings also strike quicker in there.

although i only put smaller establishing plants in these chambers as they quickly grow too big for them. of course too much humidity could lead to problems but i haven't experience that.

i still mist the big girls out of the tubs as often as possible which they seem to appreciate.

anyone else notice a difference between misting/watering with tap water and rain water?

@missbanshee:

that seems a bit excessive, she will strike just chucked in a glass of water as long as it doesnt get too stagnant. or damp soil.

rooting hormone helps but is definitely not needed.

Edited by centipede

Truth is I neglected mine a bit at the end, when I lost them. I had propagated them a lot and lost some 8-10 plants.

I am quite sure I would save them if I had a big humidity dome AKA greekhouse... then again who knows... sometimes I will try again

Truth is I neglected mine a bit at the end, when I lost them. I had propagated them a lot and lost some 8-10 plants.

I am quite sure I would save them if I had a big humidity dome AKA greekhouse... then again who knows... sometimes I will try again

maybe man

you can leave them alone longer before they wilt in a chamber, especially if your out on a particularly hot/dry day

Edited by centipede

i'm telling you guys, even if there pot bound, if they wilt, as long as they hevent been left that way for days and days, givving them a good flood will almost always bring them back

Edited by Casuarius

i agree with all of that Casuarius. None the less, growing in a hot house helps protects the plant from temp and weather extreams like wind and frost.she will tollerate full sun, and will grow a bit faster however they will become light green instead of beautiful deep green and the leaves will be deformed, lumpy, low velvetyness and low salvinorin levels. ( i got only 0.5g of pure needles xtals from 1kg of leaf. They worked but :P)

Also, wtf? easily setting seed? Mines never flowered let alone seeds let alone viable seeds.i can only assume you have acomplished this. How'd ya do it? :D

Edited by ubza_1234

That would be something pretty interesting casuarius, do you have any photo's of your salvia's flowering and the resulting seed?

When this plant was still legal to grow I had varied success with it, as PH stated above sometimes they go bananas and get huge and other times they just up and die for no apparent reason. Interesting one to grow, bummer I can't anymore :(

I find it hard to agree with the "tolerate full sun" comment from cas. Are you suggesting that sally would have no problem with direct sunlight all day during a tropical summer?

Edited by Casuarius

Edited by Casuarius

Nice work casuarius! I remember being impressed at your pictures of kava and viridis, now sally...

Do you believe that getting sally to flower depends on steady day/night cycles? Do artificial lights at night screw up the plants biological clock?