The Corroboree
Magicdirt

Psychotria rooting in waterI got hold of a few Psychotria leaves last month and I decided to try striking a few of them in jars of filtered water with

I got hold of a few Psychotria leaves (viridis & charcruna) last month and I decided to try striking a few of them in jars of filtered water with micropore tape over holes in the lids.

There was no additives in the water it was just plain filtered water.

They have all grown roots and some are ready to plant.

Some of the leaves had some damage before I propagated them but they look like they might be OK

I never changed the water but did give the jars a bit of a swirl every couple of days.

One even turned upside down and the petiole poked out of the water, it produced roots just as well as the others that were in the water.

This must be one of the easiest plants to propagate - I had a few other cuttings from other species going at the same time using traditional media based propagation and over Christmas the heat got to them and killed a few off, but all the leaf cuttings in jars have pulled through.

100% success rate I'm stoked, now all I have to do is keep them alive while they shoot, I'm guessing that will be harder than getting them to root.

post-7398-0-33328300-1294099413_thumb.jp

post-7398-0-78445900-1294099433_thumb.jp

post-7398-0-25610700-1294099453_thumb.jp

post-7398-0-33328300-1294099413_thumb.jpg

post-7398-0-78445900-1294099433_thumb.jpg

post-7398-0-25610700-1294099453_thumb.jpg

post-7398-0-33328300-1294099413_thumb.jpg

post-7398-0-78445900-1294099433_thumb.jpg

post-7398-0-25610700-1294099453_thumb.jpg

I don't know how the fuck I managed to fuck the title up for that post ?

:slap:

Great! thanks for sharing Magic dirt! I wonder if this method will work as well with my Nexus.. :)

i guess it would work with necksuss, but why would you like to probagate a useless plant like nexuss???

another issue with your methode could aswell be the hardening out process.

it's always easy to have them form root, but the process of getting them used to less humidety is the more tricky one.

I am not sure... nexus is useless? It was a plant that came into my possession by chance..Have studies been done on it's content? Cheers.

no problems sparkles, i can now see you are genuine...

i just get alert if people with there first post promote nexsuss.

the nexsuss thing just makes me sad at times, because some people promote it just the same way like mc donalds,

it's crap food, but we are told it is good.

one time a member honestly asked which plant would be better to cultivate in south america, viridis or nexsuss???! this could have a disastrous outcome, what if the carthagenensis in nexsuss interbreed's with there local viridis???? i'm sure the formerly headhunting tribes would not be happy to have there gen pool compromised!

Cool results Magicdirt. I'm sure with careful nurturing you'll be able to transplant and and successfully grow plantlets.

PH, do you know if anyone has bioassayed the nexus hybrid yet?

Glad I passed the test PH :)

it's always easy to have them form root, but the process of getting them used to less humidety is the more tricky one.

Ya not bloody wrong!! My 3" viridis has been a sook ever since I've had it! I also had success when cutting one whole leaf in half then placing them both in a small vial with a little distilled water. They've been planted into some coir and have not yet karked it, they've been under blue spec fluro for roughly 3 wks and still alive n green! :)

Hopefully being cloned in a temperate environment should harden them out a little when sprouting new growth.

PH, do you know if anyone has bioassayed the nexus hybrid yet?

Yeah Rahli added some info to the thread PH refered to here. No source was listed for the information but I think the heading was supposed to be a link that didn't turn out right. I shall make a post querying this in the thread.

0.77% active content from dry material. Not to bad I reckon.

This debate on viridis or Nexus is a bit silly. Southerners are going to find Nexus very attractive. If you have the climate for viridis the go with it if not then try Nexus

That quote by rahli from from the same thread at AE he linked to. Would be good to hear more opinions, but yes, for those in southern climes, it has to be better than nothing.

all i ever said was that, i don't like how it get's promoted almost like in a late night infomercial style, and that it's strange to promote the "weaker" plant in a fashion as it would be the better one.

those people, who often promote with there first post here (strange hey, and than ther post count seems to stopp, strange hey?) nexus, never say what are this plants weak sides (lower % of alks).

the shamans in south america count the jaguar paws (the spurs) on the lower side of the leaves, the more spurs the better aya, so they think.

No offense plant helper, feelin too intimidated to post anything else now ;)

I'll just go back to stalkin the forums instead :P

If a plant comes into your hands, better to love it, I reckon..

• Like 1

I can personally vouch for Nexus psychoactivity (not sure of the tryptamine content) but an aya brew of 30grms fresh material nexus and 8grms syrian rue produceses a very interesting experience surely its not as strong as viverdis but considering my nexus cuts grow 3x faster and produce bigger thicker leaves its worth looking into espescially if your living down south its a lot more tollerent to dry conditions also ive had dry times up here when ive been away and my viverdis where all dead but my nexus were barely wilted

cuts grow 3x faster and produce bigger thicker leaves

not true!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers Magicdirt, I have just tried the same thing after reading this, got a couple of alba leaves in a jar of water with some plant food, see how they go

Leaves rooting while floating in the water is very cool! Bravo magicdirt!

I cut the rooted sections off and planted them, my thinking was if I planted a small piece of leaf it would have a smaller transpiration area and not dry out as fast as the full leaf.

I then put the offcuts back in the water and they all rooted too, some pieces of leaf have given me 3 cuts. I probably should have cut the leaves into smaller sections the first time, but they all have roots, I'm stoked.

They really are a remarkable plant.

@ Dundee - I just used filtered water, I don't know if you need nutrients at that stage, it could promote growth of algae, but it should still work.

@ Dundee - I just used filtered water, I don't know if you need nutrients at that stage, it could promote growth of algae, but it should still work.

Good point, algae slipped my mind on this one, the things you do when you get home late at night :P ..........nevermind, I'll let this one continue and start a couple of new ones with just filtered water as well, maybe a P.carth and P.alba