The Corroboree
Torsten

Climate & Location is compulsory

This forum is primarily an ethnobotany forum and hence it is important for people to exchange cultivation information on the basis of their climate and conditions. It is very frustrating that many members still think the climate field is a joke. A recent thread with cultivation information had 4 members presenting information which if read without location or climate knowledge is completely useless - now and to future readers. This is becoming more and more of a problem despite the fact that providing this information is compulsory and a condition of joining here.

From 1-1-2011 the mods and myself will be giving warning points to members who have not filled in the climate or location with a relevant description. Please note that there is no need to compromise your privacy with this information. You can use USDA or australian zones, or a region, or a climate pattern. If you don't know what to do then do a search for a thread that covers this topic in detail, or have a look at how others are doing it.

There will be no warnings given before warn points are added to your profile. Consider this post the only warning.

Thanks, that'll be helpful. Especially if standardized zone data is included, 'Australian Zone 3, Arid' is easier to figure out and compare than 'Meekatharra, WA'.

"Dark Side of the Moon" or "Under Sinas Bed" has never been very helpful, lol

As a thread ages the information therein will be misleading though if you rely on the climate information of a member. People change location and update that information. Maybe climate should be stated in ones first contribution to a thread where relevant.

Edited by Harry

yes, harry, that would be ideal, but will never happen, so this is probably the best we can do.

Thanks, that'll be helpful. Especially if standardized zone data is included, 'Australian Zone 3, Arid' is easier to figure out and compare than 'Meekatharra, WA'.

"Dark Side of the Moon" or "Under Sinas Bed" has never been very helpful, lol

oh i've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere, ive been to meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, meekatharra, jail, meekatharra, meekatharra, jail, jail, hospital, meekatharra, hospital, jail, meekatharra, meekatharra

It doesn't allow much text :wacko:

is there a mass pm ability admin wise, sure its a forum rule to provide location but people dont even read there home loan contracts properly let alone some forum rules, this thread has already disappeared to page 2 before i post this comment so surely it hasnt reached everybody here the way it as meant to if warn points & location is such a serious issue.

Edited by santiago

if members don't fill out there climat & location field correctly, it brings the whole forum down a bit.

other botanical forums don't seem to have the same problem like ours, and out of this we can safly conclude that,

it's just our attitude which makes us to turn the climat info into a joke.

i don't like authorety either, but to "not fill out the required info" is in this case not a revolutionary action or just an expression of humor, it's simply counter productive, to our aim here.

i would find it hard to use the warn function on people who haven't filled out the climat and location field appropiately, specialy if other mod's are reluctant to do so aswell.

but i guess i can easely warn people, if they want to participate in a discussion which would require the correct information, just to give either right advice or to understand a (plant) problem or issue.

anyway, people fill out your location and climat field!!!!