The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Calea ID?

So every day I usually hit erowid when things are slow at work and pick a random plant to browse and read about.

Today was Dream Herb ala C. Zacatechichi.

As I perused erowids small vault, I realised I had a very very similar plant growing in my own yard.

The identifying factor would be its flower, but I don't seem to remember it flowering (despite my vegetable patch being over ridden with its seedlings).

So here are photos. The first photo looks very much like calea I think.

000_0332.JPG

As the leaves get older though, they seem to uh...grow...I don't know the word. They lose their ovoid shape.

000_0336.JPG

But it isn't for all the leaves.

000_0333.JPG

000_0334.JPG

000_0335.JPG

This thing is huge by the way. We were meant to kill it a few years ago, but forgot, and now it's MASSIVE.

Just thought I should check in case I'm sitting on a massive stockpile of Calea for bio-assaying. Does anyone have a many year old Calea plant? ID?

I should add, the plant otherwise matches T's description (on the SAB store) perfectly...

quote:

The stems are woody and straight with many branches. The leaves are small, oval and serrate occurring opposite along the branches..

Well except for the small leaves bit..but I figured it was because the plant was so old.

no that plant has compound leaves (from quick look) calea has single leaves. anyway it looks nothing like calea, its leaves are to shiney, caleas are matt colour.

Sorry dude :(

Calea isn't glossy rather it has a furry texture and if you rub the leaves and smell your fingers there should be a definite aroma.

def not calea. looks more like a native rainforest type tree (probably exotic though, looks pretty large and robust), compound leaves, maybe Meliaceae family. Look it in the guts and ask it what it is please.

Edited by darcy

ill take a pic of mine 2morrow...

i tryed just then poitning camera in general area of darkness... but it cant focus properly

:)

Apothecary, it seems I know what your plant is:)

It's a boxelder, Acer negundo. A very common weed tree now growing almost everywhere on Earth.

teos seedlings have hit the market :D a few people out there have them and im glad to say no more seeds are sprouting lol did you see the pic of my ones with the red petiole???

yeah this is 1 of yours (i think?)

anyways apoth no piccy for you i didnt get home b4 dark.. i asked my g/f to take a pic of it for me but she took 2 pics of other plants

heh heh

Don't worry smogs, I love you anyway.

When do you want those cactus pups man? They're sitting here, nice and calloused. A bit of orange on the bottom, but I don't think it's anything.

I think i found what it is. Do a search for Ailanthus altissima (Tree of Heaven). Saw it in a weed book today.

here ya go

calea1.jpg

calea2.jpg

they do look sorta simular from my pics but not really in person

they are hairy and stuff

also mine is in a fair bit of shade atm and looked tougher when was in full sun