The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Seven ambient tracks I doubt you've heard that are amazing

For those that dont know Im a massive devotee of ambient music. Always have been since maybe 91. Back in the old days I was usually more likely to be found in the chill out lounge than dancing around else where.

A perfect night for me in the early 90s with a chill-out zone with a mind full of x lying on a couch watching the occasional couple rooting - LOL. But im wandering...

Here are five tracks that probably had a bigger influence than you'd imagine considering they are now probably lost to time, yet newer, lesser versions of these tracks are flogged as amazing and ground breaking. Try and find them and bone up...

1. Windwar Dub - M-age - this one is by Caspar Pound, the original guy behind Rising High Records who used to dish out some fucking Awesome ambient and rave music in the early 90s. It had some awesome sounds in it. Ten minutes of awesome sounds. I cant really describe it more, other than being one of those tracks you chuck in to drift when your coming down.

2. Subterraneans by David Bowie (and Brian Eno)- sure the fact its credited to David Bowie might automatically be a putoff for a psytrance fan, but trust me, this track is credited by Trent Reznor (who I also dislike) as being the most influencial piece ever created. its actaully probably more a Brian Eno track than a David Bowie track, but it captures a kind of alienation and wistfullness that you dont get in modern music - ambient music uninfluenced by dancefloor requirements or hype. Trust me, its GOLD!

3. No Deeper Love - Rising High Collective - this is another one by Caspar Pound - a guy who passed away a while back without much fan fare, but who in his time was a supremely talented and influential artist. Much of his music can be heard in other acts I hear now days. This one is a real 'head full of x' classic. Infact I believe that no other track captures the e vibe from the 90s quite like this track.

4. Ballet Dancer - Sven vath - After he did some awesome early work as Barbarella - another ambient classic - he went on to make two amazing albums, Accident in Paradise and then the Harlequin, Robot and Ballerina before going on to make some super cheapo german techno for album after album - a pity because he was an amazing composer. This one starts kinda cornie, but the end two minutes are where its at...

5. Mountain Goat - Amorphous Androgynous - There are a number of Future Sound of London tracks I could mention but this one takes the cake. One of the first ambient tracks I ever heard - my dealer back in my home town knew this one and enjoyed it for its Pink Floyd vibe - I dont hear Pink Floyd but its a wandering mountain-vibed classic.

6. Space is the place - Irresistable Force - a classic - From Rising High records. A very tb303 sound but none the less tell me you dont feel good after this warm and fuzzy classic.

7A. Harlequin's Meditation - Sven Vath Tripped out track with a Bladerunner-esque climax about nine minutes in. Could and should be in a movie - nice flutes give it a Shpongle sound in 95.

7b Treading the Earth - Bedouin Ascent - a classic from Rising High records and an influencial artist that slipped into obscurity. In the 90s this guy was well respected but when Rising High records went defunct and Caspar Pound died shortly thereafter he was forgotten but for an impressive drum and bass EP. Its a trippy track.

Some others worth checking out:

Barbarella - by Barbarella

Eurphorhythm - Dr Motte

Sleeping Invention - Sven Vath

Caravan of Emotions - Sven Vath - i used to smoke to this and sit and watch the stars - 10 minutes of sci fi wanderings...

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I love ambient. First discovered it through the net and with the artist Lustmord. I liked all of these tracks man (some more than others) but i couldn't find Window dub on youtube. Anyway, here's some others i really like.

Amorphous androgynous – pod room

Band ane – skaev pa ta

Flipside – relief

Eso es – eternal passion

Sub dub – liquid calling

Tom middleton – astral projection

Jaffa - sneakin

Amorphous Androgynous make some rad sounds for sure.

cheers

Thanks Zen.

I'll check out these suggestions when I get a chance. If you could post links that would be great. Good ambient is amazing... what's also amazing is the amount of bog-boring crap you have to wade through sometimes to find a decent piece.

There used to be a show on Friday nights on RRR or PBS called "True Hallucinations"... mid-nineties, that was dedicated to ambient, and 95% of the content was awesome.

I used to love that show... still got a fair few tapes lying around although no tape deck to play them back on. :(

Discovering by Solar Fields :wub:

edit: Init by Carbon Based Lifeforms. Frigging beautiful!

Edited by synchromesh

bluetech has got some good stuff, he has just done a collaboration with kilowatts under an alias called invisible allies, nice sounds!

tipper has got some new chill stuff out, he blew my mind at earth freq last year!

Got any links to said tracks Zen?

I LOVE this track