The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ENtiTY

Peres peres, where for art thou peres...

In need of some peres tip cuttings. Not long moved house and decided I didn't need to take my peres mother plants with me. Put a lot of effort into making sure they were dead before I left actually. :BANGHEAD2:

Seasons come around again and I find myself tight in the clutches of the grafting monster and alas... F all stock plants :(

Must be some one out there with an excess of those lovely peres tips. Looking for 10-15cm tips, as many as I can get. Cash will be the lubricant to free them from your tight little grasps :P

Appreciate the help in my time of need :rolleyes:

i'm sure some members will chime in sooner or later with the news that they have what you want.

in case you find no trading partner, i can offer you just very few peres cuts, because i just started probagating them again myselfe.

In need of some peres tip cuttings. Not long moved house and decided I didn't need to take my peres mother plants with me. Put a lot of effort into making sure they were dead before I left actually. :BANGHEAD2:

Seasons come around again and I find myself tight in the clutches of the grafting monster and alas... F all stock plants :(

Must be some one out there with an excess of those lovely peres tips. Looking for 10-15cm tips, as many as I can get. Cash will be the lubricant to free them from your tight little grasps :P

Appreciate the help in my time of need :rolleyes:

Pm'd

I have almost unlimited Harrisia Martini cuttings available, just PM me :D

Hows the harrissa go with seedling grafts IceCube?

I've got a couple of pieces you sent me from the free trade thread and have been eyeing them for a test crack at a seedling graft. Still haven't thrown roots yet is the thing. Bit slow in that regard, weather has been a bit crap lately though.

Still, my peres is getting on with it. Maybe I'm treating it all wrong. Treating it like I would pachanoi cuts.

Hows the harrissa go with seedling grafts IceCube?

I've got a couple of pieces you sent me from the free trade thread and have been eyeing them for a test crack at a seedling graft. Still haven't thrown roots yet is the thing. Bit slow in that regard, weather has been a bit crap lately though.

Still, my peres is getting on with it. Maybe I'm treating it all wrong. Treating it like I would pachanoi cuts.

That's odd. Mine all are rooted within 2 weeks of callousing usually, but that's in central QLD. I had one pach seedling graft start to bulge but a bird took it before it could do much else (bastard thing). But it looks like it worked! I've got a peruvianus tip grafted also which has done nothing but grow larger spines.

Definitely keep the water up to the peres, I tread it like a normal house plant and it goes WILD!!

Edit: Are you rooting in the ground or just on a bench or something? Mine did root when not in the ground but it took significantly longer, didn't have any problems with rot if they were in the ground though.

Edit 2: There are also many many many MANY Opuntia around here if you are keen for as many paddles as you like!

Edited by IceCube

Sorry IceCube, my crappy sentence structure is at fault lol. :P

My peres are doing super, really "getting on with it", goin gangbusters :) I was comparing its strike time frame with what Harrissa was displaying in consideration of its ability to produce grafting stock.

Rooting in 100ml pots with a generic cacti mix I bung together on the fly. Wasn't sure what kind of issue Harrissa has with rot so I aired on the side of caution and made the mix fairly sandy as its been cool and wet for this time of year.

Experimented with velvety tree pear and Cyclopuntia imbricata last season.

Imbricata showed promise with small button grafting. Unfortunately it caluses off the graft union once it goes into dormancy due to seasonal or drought conditions. Did it to every graft I had done with it. Come winter dormancy or letting the pot go dry for 3 or 4 days and it would chuck the scion. Seedlings never moved, they didn't die but they didn't grow either. I had 1 seedling graft 12 months old, alive and healthy but not 1 bit bigger than when I'd put it on there. Bonsai grafting lol.

Velvety tree pear (VTP) doesn't handle high humidity at all so you had to use hardened off seedlings which was a pain. Bit hit and miss to. Seedling grafts seemed to take, swell up, fluff up at the tip, double in size, then slow right down, getting ever slower until it stopped completely! VTP would then continually try to pup instead of put energy into scion. I had only 1 success with VTP. A seedling graft of T. terschekii. It stopped last season at about the size of a softball. I've heard they sit in a ball phase for a couple of years before starting columnar growth. Hopefully it still does this on a graft as it hasn't done much this season and all my other tricho's are swollen and pumping out fresh green shit at the tips :)

So yeah I've strolled off the goat track a tiny bit and so far nothing has beaten peres for seedling grafting. Peres is awesome accept for those fucking glochids! I've always been uncomfortable with it being around since we had our youngun, he stepped on a piece that had gotten away from me a little while back and that was that, I had to find a replacement. Also why I made sure my mother plants were dead and disposed off before I moved house, didn't want it escaping.

Yet here I am begging for more :)

I know you asked for tips but I have some uncared for peres that need to be chopped up and started fresh. They wont be tips but you can have them for postage only if interested.

Thanx sapito!

A new farm of mother plants is the next best thing to tips :)

Patience grasshopper!