The Corroboree
taozen

Taking a Salvia D. cutting ...and putting a leaf on top?

Well, I just took a cutting from just below the 3 node of the biggest stem, I thought the best thing was to take it from it from the biggest one. I just read I should have taken it from the smallest. I also realized it makes more sense to cut the cutting from just on top of the node. :( Anyway it's done, I doubt it was a lethal move. Is putting a leaf into the stem hole that's left a bad idea? I thought I'd give it a try?

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

lol. wouldn't have the faintest personally, what are you hoping to achieve with the jamming of leaves into stems? if i'm understanding correctly, you just need to cut the bit of stem off the top closer to the node.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Cutting just below the node is fine, that's where the roots grow from so you want it at the bottom. And on the mother plant, I'd cut that excess bit of stem off, no growth will come from it.

As for the bigger or smaller stem to cut from... I don't think it makes much difference, except that too small a stem raises the risk of it not making it...

Looking good,

Though I would pull that leaf out if i was you, I'm just a newb and us Aussies can't grow Sally D legally.

But just my two cents it would be much happier if you didn't have the leaf in there...

try drying and smoking that leaf i hear thats good where legal..

also just my opinion but I would think about re potting the mother plant soon

try drying and smoking that leaf i hear thats good where legal..

Agreed, along with the four biggest leaves on that cutting!

lulz, that leaf in the stem is great. I doubt it'll do any harm, leave it in if you like it! But do as psili says and clip most of the leaves off the cutting you made to give it a better chance of survival.

Remember the needle pinning the leaf to this plant when it was a sapling, and now this, although yeah wont do any harm, but classic Taozen. Taozen you rock, all your plants are alive and happy despite your unique methods, and you always manage to get a smile.

I look forward to the next installment of your salvia journey.

I might just add that mine is around that size and has a larger pot as it was already root bound, so they might be happoer in a larger pot. It looks a little droopy, could be light or water, I water every day otherwise mine gets a little droopy, too much light also made mine sad.

Anyways peace, and good luck with this plant.

lol

Is putting a leaf into the stem hole that's left a bad idea? I thought I'd give it a try?

if it takes I am willilng to admit the elves did it :lol:

I also realized it makes more sense to cut the cutting from just on top of the node. :( Anyway it's done, I doubt it was a lethal move.

nah, you just spared a growing point on you main plant, but this way you might see this node [which is now in the cut] throwing a branch, even if it's covered in soil, after it roots and starts growing of course.

what you might not know is that its a standard to cut off some of the below leaves and/or cutting some leaves in half when taking a cut and leave less leaf surface on the rootless cut so as it doesn't hydrate and die before it roots and is is able to sustain itself.

ALso I think you would have more growing rate of the cuttting/new plant with a little bit larger cuttings.

Haha, I was sleepy yesterday and thought it was an ok idea, now that I think about it, it is very funny, haha. It just fit so nicely... maybe I played Lego's to much when I was a smaller kid. Anyway, the pin thing worked, maybe this might, although it was already droopy this morning. I'm probably taking it out as soon as I get back home. I'm also taking out the 4 bigger leaves on the cutting. So do 6 leaves have any effect if smoked? Can I vaporize them? I have I vaporgenie?

And last thing, can I just keep taking cuttings from this plant or is it better to repot? I liked the idea of keeping the mother plant in that pot forever but maybe the leaf on the stem is a better idea?

thanx every1

The effective dose of salvia is highly variable. I've been told that once you "get it" you don't need as much to get a good effect. That makes sense cos I don't need as much as I used to.

From my experience, where legal, fresh leaves dried in the oven at about 150oC are quite potent. I need only 3-4 cones for a reasonable effect. If you want crazy mind fuck shit, then an extract is probably in order...

Just start low and work your way up.

Edit: Regarding vaporizing: Salvinorin vaporizes at a very high temp... 240oC?... that's why you can dry in in the oven. If your vaporizor can get that hot then give it a shot.

Edited by psili sausage

Ill have to burn them then. So what would be the minimum number of leaves smoked? 5,10,20? or maybe ill just store them what would be the best way to do that?

Here's what I did, how many leaves for the slightest of effects?!?!?!

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

If you dried those leaves in the oven you can crush them almost to a powder with your hands, if not you can still crush them up pretty well.

Hold the flame on it as you smoke it and don't pull too hard. Just keep packing and smoking until it hits you (or you want to stop) and remember to breathe in between cones - you don't want brain damage :). Hopefully you won't need too many - apparently some people need stronger material and a lot of it.

And one last thing: Don't be upset if you don't enjoy it as much as you'd expected, it's a very unusual experience. Start small and work your way up.

i tend to smoke one (usually a minimum 5cm long and 3cm wide) leaf which fits in my cone piece nicely. thats plenty enough for me, effects can be felt from less.

i tend to smoke one (usually a minimum 5cm long and 3cm wide) leaf which fits in my cone piece nicely. thats plenty enough for me, effects can be felt from less.

I'll second that.

id do an extract. get some acetone. subbmerge all ur leaves.

soak the bejebus out of them. then when the acetones evaporated some, take leaves out, dry, crush a couple of leaves into the acetone and allow to fully evaporate. then when leaves have dried give that a burl.

Cutting just below the node is fine, that's where the roots grow from so you want it at the bottom. And on the mother plant, I'd cut that excess bit of stem off, no growth will come from it.

This is incorrect. Roots will grow from any portion of the stem, including the nodes.

post-3765-128715365931_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention this cut was placed in moistened potting soil in a pot inside a humidity dome. No transplanting issues when rooted in this fashion.

Edited by zelly

1 Leaf!!! wtf!? well as soon as my throat gets better, ill try with one big crushed leaf on a pipe and work myself up to something, the only other time ive had salvia was a miniscule amount of extract that according to me back then made everything turn purple?! wtF?!"

This is incorrect. Roots will grow from any portion of the stem, including the nodes.

Interesting... you learn something new everyday. Although it does appear most of those roots are coming from around a node... Can you confirm for me that if you took a cutting from just above a node and planted it with the lowest node above soil line, would that section root? Or would it root from the node up?

1 Leaf!!! wtf!? well as soon as my throat gets better, ill try with one big crushed leaf on a pipe and work myself up to something, the only other time ive had salvia was a miniscule amount of extract that according to me back then made everything turn purple?! wtF?!"

Just crush up what you have in that bag and run with that. First time I had extract I saw the world tear apart in great fissures (and beyond them was another reality I could see, but couldn't understand what I was seeing) and I was being sucked towards them (involutarily stumbling around the room) and this put me off salvia for years.

Later in life I tried plain old leaf which gave me more of a meditative, warped sense of reality, almost nitrous experience. The world was swirling without moving somehow, there were echos and other auditory hallucinations, and totally insignificant things (sounds, shadows, etc) seemed to have a deep, profound meaning.

This was all prior to 2002 of course.

Edited by psili sausage

salvia leaf is potent enough for most people. stronger salvia experiences don't make much sense, especially to the non-experienced, so starting with extracts is not really the way to go.

ur opinion only mr!!! screw smoking copious amount of leaves...so harsh on the lungs!

i never got much out of just leaf, though i couldnt do more than two cones, ewwwwww.

"u dont go to the carnival to ride on the merry-go-round"

Edited by incognito

It is certainly true that straight leaf doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't change the fact that it is good practice with any drug to start with a low dose.

IMO Salvia shouldnt be smoked anyway and unless they are particularly potent leaves (which is unlikely at that age) you will need to smoke a lot of them.

Make a nice quid and you will thank yourself later, so will your mind and so will the the Salvia.

Quids are so much smoother and more manageable, not to mention a much more plesant experince which can be controlled in intensity by the ammount you suck/chew the quid (where once you suck down some extract you have to buckle in and ride it out.)

Back in the day I used to get threashold effects from one mature leaf (plant was about 2yrs old at that time but is now dead),

I used to enjoy chewing on one sometimes while working in the garden providing a nice visual sparkle and a sense of something good around the corner but any more than that and I would often have to take it out because it was getting too strong.

A good sized quid of 5-10 leaves was quite powerful for me and lasted much much longer than a smoked dose.