The Corroboree

Aussie Locus Plague 23 Aug

10 News Video 16th September

Lets Discuss Prevention of These Nasty insects..

I was told today that If Chemicals Are Used On Them That They Eventually Become Immune To The Posions.

These Plauges will Have a Great Impact On small FarmS Who can Not Find A way To Stop Them..

If We Dont Find A Way To Stop Them They'll Come Back Year After Year..

Any Ideas?

Stop the monoculture farming regimen, go back to nature , fuck its not rocket scienced... huge expanses of one crop? = huge masses of insect pests , hello?

Stop the monoculture farming regimen, go back to nature , fuck its not rocket scienced... huge expanses of one crop? = huge masses of insect pests , hello?

Although I do recall something about God sending out plagues of locusts a few thousand years ago. I know our farming is very monocultural at the moment (although, I have to admit it's not something I know much about other than watching a few docos on the subject) and I'm positive it wasn't at this extreme back in the days of our good man Hay-soos, but did monoculture play a role back then? I would have thought farming would have been greater number of smaller crops.

some food for thought here:

http://www.savethelocust.com/

Whilst locust swarms may seem abundant and impossible to destroy, this is not the case. The American Rocky Mountains Locust - went from "plaguing" to extinct in a matter of decades. Australian Plague locust (Chortoicetes terminifera) swarms have been dramatically reduced in frequency and extent in modern times. This may seem like a triumph to some, but to the more ecologically minded, it should be serious cause for concern.

There needs to be a balanced view where environmentally sustainable methods of living with locusts are investigated. Yes, there will continue to be some crop damage in the event of a "plague", but the environmental benefits that such a "plague" brings need to be considered.

The aim of this website is to raise awareness of the role locusts play in the environment and to encourage people to move away from the attitude of fear of locust swarms. It also seeks to stimulate interest in such management solutions as will enable locust swarms to provide environmental benefits whilst permitting the survival of sustainable agricultural practices at the same time.

• Like 2

they r chockas full of protein yeah?

no idea how it could be done, maybe netting? (which would trap and kill wldlife duhhhhhh)

some method of trapping them, collecting them and makig into fert o feed the soil.

we r lookin at a massive rodent plague here s soon as things start drying up.

Hmmm A flame thrower may Suffice... I not so worried now that its been pointed out on both negative and positive Sides of the Argument but yes incog they might make Some great Fertilizer

The way i look at it its a natural cycle, after good rains the grasshoppers swarm & grow in number, this feeds native birds & other animals that live on insects like marsupial mice spiders etc .. they then grow in numbers & the cycle gos on

Because they are a pest to farmers & eat our gardens, they also do some good

the best natural way i could give to cut numbers down around the garden is, get yourself some chooks.

chooks do like to eat your chillies & veggies as well as other plants but a small fence or wire mesh around those plants to keep the chooks out is much easier than trying to stop the Hopper Plague :wink:

weve had massive swarms out here for the last 5 yrs...when theres been no rain.

I think its because the biodiversity is sooo out of wack.

i agree whole heartedly with nabraxas link. Having well looked after nature strips/areas with a diverse amount of native wildlife on crop producing propertys would be more beneficial and effective, and possibly cheaper to maintain at controlling the hoppers, than spraying fucking chems everywhere.

swarms like these logic says that a link out of the natural ecology of an area is missing.

if native birdlife and other critters that feed on hoppers are encouraged back onto farms, maybee in sizeable nature strips surrounding cropping areas, might create natural buffer zones?? maybee.

im scared of the chems some crazy fuckers are spraying around out here. its like kill the hoppers at all costs, maybee to our and natures detriment.

swarms like these logic says that a link out of the natural ecology of an area is missing.

if native birdlife and other critters that feed on hoppers are encouraged back onto farms, maybee in sizeable nature strips surrounding cropping areas, might create natural buffer zones?? maybee.

im scared of the chems some crazy fuckers are spraying around out here. its like kill the hoppers at all costs, maybee to our and natures detriment.

INcog Be that A Nail You Just Whacked it on the Head... We have removed native wildlife from farms and the such And as you said that could be our missing link..