The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
educate

old print viability

How old until there is limited chance of successfully growing from it? I have a Agaricus print and want to grow it :innocent_n:

I used half to make agar plates 3 months ago but they didn't eventuate into anything. I wondered maybe the loop was too hot or I might have used too much Glen-20.

Thanks

i am honestly not really sure about the answer for this but seeing as we are in winter that may have something to do with it?

also...if this 'agaricus' you speak of is a woodlover you will need to make a broth using woodchips for a liquid culture.

sorry if this doesn't help at all.

I have used prints from other mushrooms that are a couple of years old with success

Ohhh. So I'm thinking that I must have had the loop too hot then. I fired it and rubbed it on the agar first and then back to the print. I fired the loop between each swab.

I can see the spores on the agar, but no growth. I have them in a heated cupboard at 25 degrees.

Anyhow, first time at agar so just have to learn from my mistakes.

They are dung lovers. On that topic....I got this picture of this agaricus off the net....must be a rare variety or something

post-4917-12832507272_thumb.jpg

Edited by educate

I've heard of 30 year old spores germinating on agar.

One way to germinate old spores is to hydrate them in a pressurised vessel for 24 hours before culturing them.

It's impossible to use to many spores in my expeience.

If you still have some spores left try again and cool the innoculation loop by sinking it into the agar for about 2 seconds.

Or you could try cooling it with alcohol on a swab or cotton wool, just be careful not to start a fire.

Old prints will fail more often

cos of the strain or species that isn't as robust as another.

I think spores stay viable for a very long time,

but whether theyl grow quicker than contams is the main issue.

• Like 1