The Corroboree
santiago

Shipping container

i have the opportunity buy a shipping container for $300, its about 10m long. it used to be a temp workshop for a retail biz but the retailbiz owners went broke. the next owners took over and basically dont need it just want to sweep the carpet clean so to speak hence the cheapish price. i think it cost about 2k first time round.

now i think you can turn them into mini houses and stuff but i couldnt see myself doing that for a long time if ever, so im just wondering if anybody has any good ideas and info.

cost for relocation and transportation roughly 15kms?

would i need a council permit to put it in a ordinary 800m2 back yard?

left field ideas for usage (im thinking straight out simply - shed, mini house, storage)?

would it just turn out to a hunk of metal i dont need?

thanks for reading, basically i just want cool ideas regardless how silly you think they may be, illegal usages dont interest me at all.......its gotta be legit, it just something i never have thought about having so hopefully you guys fill the gaps.

Thanks

Dig a pit and drop it into it you could then use it for what ever you would like but getting the mower out may be a struggle ;) ive always wanted a container so i could put under my yard but i was told they are all tracked.. i dont think the council could say shit if it was under the ground could they its not like your building anything just digging a 12m hole and shit i didnt think how the fuck to get it in the ground. well you could always use it like you said as a shed but then again i once worked at a place that sold 4x4m sheds for 400 so would you want to deal with the councils shit you need a permit for sheds over 4x4m so im guessing to have it there you may need to contact them and just speak to some one

300$$ what a bargin !!!!, i think you may need council permits, transport might also be costly, but $300 you cant say no ...

What cant you use it for!! its like a multi-tool everyman needs a shipping container..

You got kids?? make it a cubby house...

you got a granny?? make it a granny flat...

you got chickens?? make it a chicken house...

make it a office...

resell it for around $800 on ebay.... <--- <---- (give me $50)

turn it into a recording studio....

make it into a mini workshop....

dump a truck load of top soil on top of it.. not sure why but it would make a cool talking point..

clandestine ...anything...

2012 bunker...

HQ for something....

Rent it out to for transport if its regestered for $10 - 20 a week.....

Turn it into a guest house....

Rent it out to students to live in for $60 a week with electricity....

bury it cut the top off and turn it into a swimming pool.....

A horse stable....

Soemthing to assist in breeding dogs/cats....

a greenhouse and shed of course....

got a friend with property? ask them to dump it there so you now have a holiday house...

stash it in the bush on a reserve and just live there until you get caught see how long u can be a hermit for....

Fill it with stuff and seal it for 300 years, imagine the look on your great, great , great grandkids face....

WHAT CANT A $300 SHIPPING CONTAINER DO!!

Matter of fact if you dont buy it i will....

...to deb, a idea to dig a hole is to build a 4x4 shed and fill it with nothing, then start digging.... Wheel-borrow the dirt out around your garden, then once you have a mighty hole inside the 4x4 you build 3x3 in the hole then cover it....insert trapdoor . ...and vents... alot of work, but depends how much you want it;)

Edited by vual

My first thought was also to bury it in the backyard with a trapdoor entrance, dont worry bout the tracking device cause it will be easy enough to use soundwaves etd. to find it in the groung should you ever be susssed.

Dude you cannot pass this up, this is everyman's dream, a secret underground lab where no one can disturb. A lair, this is seriously too cool.

Have a look around on youtube. There are some pretty inventive things done with old shipping containers. Totally worth the money - go for it.

Vual I want it badd enough to get the shed and dig the hole with a tea spoon and have it done by sunrise.....but i want a shipping container under my driveway now...

underground lab or grow room... :drool2:

LULZ, Well thats what we were all thinking.. haha.

You can move a 20 foot container on a tilt tray if you can get the truck to where you won’t it (slide on and off). If you have to lift it a 6/8 ton hiab should be able to do it but it can only lift and drop alongside the truck the hiab can’t reach to far with the weight.

Shipping containers are not a permanent structure if you just place it on the ground. Neighbours would be your biggest problem. We had one for years on a bigger property than yours and had no probs we just painted it green and placed it under a big tree witch screened it from the neighbours.

A couple of other things you need to do to stop it rusting out is to place it on some blocks to get it up of the ground and to build a second roof over it to stop water sitting on the top this will also keep it cooler in summer.

If it is in good condition $300.00 is a steal

If you don’t want to go ahead with this and it is in WA metro I will by it and put some cash in your pocket. :)

Cheers

Got

this seems to be a pretty popular idea so far.........

BEHOLD

If you don’t want to go ahead with this and it is in WA metro I will by it and put some cash in your pocket. :)

Cheers

Got

Hey i mentioned i would buy it first !!!!

lols

Nice video santiago alot more work then i would do but i like the stairs probably worth the extra work.

Everyone needs a fallout shelter, make that!!

Edited by vual

When the apocalypse comes how will you decide who lives and who dies?

You know I wouldnt mind waiting out armageddon in a shiiping container full of weed B)

Just on a side note, I have read about quite a number of shipping container grow/lab busts up around NNSW/SEQLD over the last 10yrs that Ive been around, seems to be an idea a lot of people have run with so no doubt they are hot as fuck in the eyes of a L.E.O.

Edited by AndyAmine.

this seems to be a pretty popular idea so far.........

BEHOLD

wonder how long it would take to dig that size hole by hand...

=================================================================================

Found this didn't know where else to share it .. not shipping container but house made from 5000 glass bottles!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/10/russian-woman-5000-glass-bottle-house.php

yeah that is some bottles synchromesh ... the wind blowing in the tops would sound cool, make nice homes for spiders too!

undergroudn the thing would rust pretty quick, so make provisions for that. it would also fill up with water as soon as it rains.

they are better off above ground. councils may have special laws against them - especially in burbs, so check. We have loads of them, but they are only classed as temporary if you use them for storage, if you want to use it as a workshop or garage then they require development approval.